The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Why not visit Austin for a long weekend and include a Friday tour of the Collings shop followed by a few hours at Hill Country Guitars the next day? That should give you some perspective. Bring your favorite Martin along to A/B.

If that's out of the question then get to a good acoustic shop somewhere, a place that stocks plenty of Collings, Martins and everything else, and spend a relaxed day. It's really the only way you'll get an answer that means something to you. Who really knows how a gaggle of internet addicted guitar pundits are striking those strings, or if their left hands know what the right ones are doing.

For that matter, they've never seen or heard you play either. How can they advise you?

If you really want to do it right, play everything blindfolded and have the salesman keep track of them for you. Most folks find that experience shocking. Then sit out in front of them and listen to them that way. Also revealing. .

Oh, as for Collings purely from the instrument-as-product view, you might say there are 2 kinds of shops, those who carry Collings and those who wish they did. Just a little joke, but think about it.

Good luck!

Mark.

Last edited by Mark L; 10-28-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Just tp pre=-empt the inevitable comment about Collings Tone - I have read (possibly on this forum) that some feel that they are overly trebly, and I can understand this - when directly compared to the bass biased Martins.

Bill Collings seems to have determined his sounding some years ago and that it would be as carefully balanced across the strings AND up and down the strings.

By that I mean, I've had "F#" Martins, and such where the guitar resonates better at some frequencies than others. I have not experienced this with a Collings.

Bill's designs pay tribute to both Martin and Gibson designs (which suits most) but his tonality is his own.

Having said that, there have been rumours on the Collings forum in the past that there was some subtle changes in tone design around 2007/8, and I have a 1998 and a 2007 DS2h, and they sound different with the later version giving more bass, although I honestly couldn't say that either are in any way unbalanced.

This is a little ironic as when I chose my first Collings guitar - back in early '99 it was in comparison with a Santa Cruz, A Bourgeois and a Martin HD28VS and (back then) I was convinced that the bass of the Collings was superior - perhaps just clearer.

I have heard that Collings start around 30 - 40 guitars a week, so whilst nothing like the industrial high volume product organisations like Taylor or Martin, they are a well established and ever increasing medium sized manufacturing business.

They are also building a new factory for their own cases and the Waterloo production line.

I think their numbers exceed Santa Cruz and Bourgeois considerably.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I am real late to this thread and I apologize...

I own Guild, Huss and Dalton and have had a Gibson in the past. Very fortunate to have acquired a Collings D2H this past June.

As simply as I can put it, my (New Hartford) Guild D55 and H&D DS are "Les Pauls," while the Collings D2H is a Telecaster...
Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM

I've owned seven Collings, including two varnish and a custom.

They are perfect builds. Great fundamental tone. Clear, crisp, and nice balance.

But, for my personal taste, there was just something missing that I favor.

Past Guitars

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo (Belle méchant Sheryl)
Martin Laurence Juber OMC-18 #3 Sold to a good home and a very lucky person!
Bourgeois OO Redwood Hog Sold to a good home!
Bourgeois DB Signature OM Mad Rose Cutaway Sold to a good home!

Many, many, more.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I've owned three Collings...an OM-1 Deep Body, and OM2H Deep Body, and a SJ Indian. Still have the SJ. The OM1 was a bit too bright for my needs and didn't last too long. Should have kept the OM2H...it had all the right stuff...a wolf in sheep's clothing. The SJ Indian is a phenomenal guitar. Love everything about it. Never tried any of Collings dreads (slope or standard) but would love to. Maybe if I ever get to Austin?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 PM

Collings guitars were my gateway guitar to the boutique world. I sold my one Collings guitar I owned, but still own a Collings ukulele.

In my ears, Collings' tone has a signature clarity and punch. Whether this does it for you or not is entirely personal. As others state, the build quality and fit and finish are second to none. Once you get to this level of guitars, you are splitting hairs and it is all about personal preference.

I would own the right Collings guitar again, but as I've learned what my ears are drawn to, I'm leaning towards other builders. But make no mistake, if you have the opportunity to own a Collings, you are living the good life!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Opinions on Collings guitars?

Best dread I ever heard was a D2HG. It roared like thunder. Unfortunately, it was out of my price range at the time.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 PM

A long time ago I bought a Collings D2H, It kicked the snot out of my 70's D28, in all of tone, clarity and playability (first 1-3/4" nut width guitar I'd ever played).

Over time I became less enchanted with it. Sometimes its single note clarity would again enchant me, but too many other days the midrange dominated and it just sounded too brassy/metallic.

I think the death-knell for my D2H was when I played it back-to-back with another guy's Martin HD-28; hand-picked for him by the same shop I bought my Collings from. The guitars sounded very similar. But his had more warmth. His guitar sounded better. To both of us.

When I decided dreads were too big for me, I went on a year-long OM hunt. I wound up with a guitar that has all the clarity of my Collings without the midrange "brittleness", and which has much more warmth than my Collings had without the Martin "muddiness". If one plays enough guitars, eventually a winner emerges.

It's been a while, but IIRC my Collings did not take well to a capo. it lost a ton of tone when capoed up. Guitars seem to really vary in this regard. And my singing voice did not blend too well with it I think, due to its pronounced mid-range. A little more warmth is an advantage when strumming backing my vocals, I think. YMMV.

Last edited by FPicker; 10-31-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:42 PM

I purchased a CJ35 4 months ago, haven't looked back, and haven't had any second thoughts. For me, it's my dream guitar, right there in my hands whenever I want it.

The only lingering thought I had in my head was "what about a 1937 Authentic?" Played one a few weeks ago, and only reiterated to me that I made the right choice. Comparing these two is, of course, apples to oranges though.

When you get to this level - save for some random fluke - there's no such thing as a bad guitar. Spend as much time as you can playing as many high end guitars as you can, then don't be scared to make the plunge. For many of us, the cost can be incredibly intimidating of course. However, if you can swing it up front, you will likely find yourself wondering why you didn't do it sooner as soon as the shock do your bank account wears off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion