The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM

Default Leather strap question

Hey everyone!

Just a quick note before I go into my question, I found this forum a couple of months ago and have learned so much from everyone here, so I thank you all

So, my question to you is, and it's kind of a stupid question: What strap does Ed Sheeran use? The only reason I ask is because I'm looking to move away from the straps that look like this: My strap to more of what Ed uses: Ed's strap. The difference I know is the styling of it because in the photo above, I don't like how the strap at the end hangs off, plus for me, it wasn't really all that comfortable. From my research, the closest thing I've come to it was a Levy's M7 strap, so I ordered one, but it doesn't fit quite right on my Martin.

I know it's a stupid question but it would be a really big help for me since I've been looking for about 2 weeks now, I'm a newbie, and just want to get it over with. If you have any straps or anything that you like for acoustics, feel free to tell me about them also!

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 PM

I've got some of these. It looks like what you're looking for: DR Strings Premium Glove Leather Guitar Strap with Suede Interior.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 07-23-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal22 View Post
Hey everyone!

Just a quick note before I go into my question, I found this forum a couple of months ago and have learned so much from everyone here, so I thank you all

So, my question to you is, and it's kind of a stupid question: What strap does Ed Sheeran use? The only reason I ask is because I'm looking to move away from the straps that look like this: My strap to more of what Ed uses: Ed's strap. The difference I know is the styling of it because in the photo above, I don't like how the strap at the end hangs off, plus for me, it wasn't really all that comfortable. From my research, the closest thing I've come to it was a Levy's M7 strap, so I ordered one, but it doesn't fit quite right on my Martin.

I know it's a stupid question but it would be a really big help for me since I've been looking for about 2 weeks now, I'm a newbie, and just want to get it over with. If you have any straps or anything that you like for acoustics, feel free to tell me about them also!

Thanks for your help!
Your strap is adjustable so the end doesn't hang off. I have a very similar one made by another manufacturer.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-23-2017, 02:58 AM

My most recent guitar strap purchase was for a Walker & Williams strap. I'm also a big fan of Levy's Leathers straps, and own a bunch of them. But the Walker & Williams straps are of equal quality yet sell for about a third the price of the Levy's. I'm very pleased with the one I bought to go with my Martin D-18.

http://walkerandwilliams.com/

They've got a LOT of different straps on that website, so it might take you a while to find exactly what you're looking for. It's worth the effort, though.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-23-2017, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Took me a long time to realise exactly what I wanted in a guitar strap.
It's a matter of thickness (for storage in your case) , width , for optimum comfort, length management, and fixing to the guitar.

Here is the advice of an old man.

1. Don't consider any artificial (composite/leatherette/plastic/ materials - stick to leather.

2. Don't consider ANY metalwork on a strap - because it WILL find a way to mark your guitar.

3. Determine by experimentation the overall length that you require.

4. Determine how wide you want your strap - Ed's seems to be a 2" wide belt.

5. Investigate Schaller Strap-locks - inexpensive and SAFE!

6. Make your own straps - leather easily obtained - Ebay etc., Get a heavy straight edge and a Stanley knife, and Acquire (beg, steal, borrow) a 1/2" diameter hole punch.

I make all my own straps for my guitars. I don't need to have length adjustment because I know how long they should be.
I use a Strap-lock on the heel connection, but use any old end pin because it has never, in 40 plus years been an issue (I don't sling guitars over my shoulder).

I hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Just a quick positive plug for Walker and Williams straps. They truly are awesome and have some color combos and styles that other makers do not have. Also - they have a lot of one of a kinds (straps that they considered making and then choose not too)
Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Awesome, thanks everybody! I will definitely take a look at all of these. The quest is still on though!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
My most recent guitar strap purchase was for a Walker & Williams strap. I'm also a big fan of Levy's Leathers straps, and own a bunch of them. But the Walker & Williams straps are of equal quality yet sell for about a third the price of the Levy's. I'm very pleased with the one I bought to go with my Martin D-18.

http://walkerandwilliams.com/

They've got a LOT of different straps on that website, so it might take you a while to find exactly what you're looking for. It's worth the effort, though.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I wasn't aware of them and was looking to add one more strap. My favorite Straps so far have been Franklin straps, but the tend to run around $60+, so for me a bit steep just for that one "extra" strap. $35-40 is much easier to swallow. After visiting the website I'd have to add a big +1 and encourage the OP to go check them out.

Thanks Wade!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 PM

You should bear in mind that ol' Ed's strap might not look right on YOU , unless you're a ginger-nut with tattooed-on sleeves ...
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM

It looks like your strap and Ed's are the same. The wide end goes to the front so the audience sees it. Leather straps nearly all have a second piece of leather and multiple holes and slots to allow adjustment at the other end that is less visible. The other options are a custom strap made to your length or a buckle. Custom straps can be expensive if you don't make your own and a buckle may scratch your guitar so neither is common.

I find most straps are too long for me and the last hole isn't needed. That's to be expected, I'm small and I like my guitar approximately the height it is at when I'm seated. It does leave some extra leather. That doesn't happen for the big guys, they need every inch.

The manufacturers put plenty of adjustability in so they don't have to make a lot of sizes. If it's too long for you there is nothing to stop you trimming the end off. If it is dyed all the way through you are done. If there is a lighter colored core that the dye didn't reach, use an appropriately colored permanent marker to touch it up.

I'll bet Ed's tech knows how many inches long he likes his straps and adjusts and trims any new ones to that length.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Here's another site to check out, Sully's straps

https://sullysstraps.com/

Several of my friends have these and they are extremely well made.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 07-23-2017, 05:46 PM

My vote goes to Lakota Leathers. Those soft bison hide straps are NICE! No hardware at all to scratch your guitar.
I have the black 2" wide one. http://www.lakotaleathers.com/products/guitar/
Old 07-23-2017, 05:57 PM

I like the look but the leather takes in the sweat and begins to get funky-like. I use a fabric strap that I can wash and wear and not worry about messing up. The leather, when it gets the gig funk, stains shirts.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My vote goes to Lakota Leathers. Those soft bison hide straps are NICE! No hardware at all to scratch your guitar.
I have the black 2" wide one. http://www.lakotaleathers.com/products/guitar/
Ditto. I have three Lakota Leather straps. Great straps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion