The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Default Creepy Clownface Afternoon

This one is about all the little absurd things that drift over the transom of my psyche from listening to too much news and talk radio in the background while I'm working.

Last edited by PajamasMusic; 08-05-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 PM

You had me at the song title. Nicely done, though a bit sad.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
You had me at the song title. Nicely done, though a bit sad.
Thanks Dave. Yes, it's a little dark, but then, so am I.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Guest 33123

Nicely done!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mark,

Very nice! Well done!

Interesting composition! I have to agree with your thoughts, there!

- Glenn
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 PM

Nice, indeed.

But sad, as said before, haha. But that's what music is about

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

One thing I've been trying to do, since it is a common theme when I perform/sing for others (I belong to a local songwriters group and we meet and share), is that I do not adequately or sufficiently project my voice. (I "sing too soft"). Also, that I do not convey enough emotion.

Now, obviously not a professional singer or performer, and I have developed these songs more for me than anybody else, but asking here for help, does it seem to you that I am adequately projecting? And if not, what to do do improve?

Understanding that "projecting" and singing "loudly" are not necessarily one and the same. Also understanding that "emotion" is not simply layering on some fake stylized treatment of the vocals. Thinking about getting some voice lessons here in the Fall, when the local college make them available. In the meantime, doing what I can to improve.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Cap'n,

I went back and watched and listened to your video again in light of your comments or questions in post #7.

I think you are projecting just fine. Your voice is at about the right level relative to the guitar and all the words are easy to understand.

Regarding projection of emotion, I thought you did well with that, too.

Regarding voice lessons at the local college, I think something like that can almost always help. Not because your singing or emotional projection are not good enough on your video, because they are. But because singing well is one of the hardest forms of musical expression there is, maybe the hardest. We can all use improvement to learn how to stretch our vocal ranges, how to improve tone and diction, etc. My oldest son and his wife have college degrees in vocal performance and they both teach part time at the local college. I have seen many times huge improvement of singers on stage because of the work my son and daughter-in-law have been able to do with these people. Sometimes the improvement is really dramatic. So I applaud your sense of adventure in being willing to consider this avenue.

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 AM

Thank you Glenn. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I agree, singing is difficult, but it is also I think, the vehicle available to us that provides for the greatest flexibility of expression. I have yet to hear any instrument, piano, violin, guitar, brass or woodwind, offer the range of expression, dynamic and flexibility that the human voice brings to the table.

I'm also learning that certain words, consonants, etc. sound better, when sung, than others; certain notes are harder to vocalize, on key, than others (even if they are considered to be in ones "range"). Learning to pronounce certain words (particularly vowel sounds) so that they don't take away from the delivery is also important (I tend to have trouble with my "tha's and "thee's").

When you break it down, the technical aspect of diction alone creates a challenge, let alone the ability to effectively and elegantly deliver a phrase and of course, managing to keep in tune.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Nice job Mark!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch View Post
Thank you Glenn. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I agree, singing is difficult, but it is also I think, the vehicle available to us that provides for the greatest flexibility of expression. I have yet to hear any instrument, piano, violin, guitar, brass or woodwind, offer the range of expression, dynamic and flexibility that the human voice brings to the table.

I'm also learning that certain words, consonants, etc. sound better, when sung, than others; certain notes are harder to vocalize, on key, than others (even if they are considered to be in ones "range"). Learning to pronounce certain words (particularly vowel sounds) so that they don't take away from the delivery is also important (I tend to have trouble with my "tha's and "thee's").

When you break it down, the technical aspect of diction alone creates a challenge, let alone the ability to effectively and elegantly deliver a phrase and of course, managing to keep in tune.
Hi Cap'n,

If you do get a chance to take voice lessons from the local college, hopefully they will be able to work with you on dealing with various vowel sounds.

Good luck with the voice lessons -- I hope they work out well for you.

Another thing that I noticed in your video that has nothing to do with singing is where you have your camera located. YouTube videos on this subject tend to recommend that the camera be located at about face level. I realize that can be a problem with microphones blocking your face as you sing, and perhaps that's what you were trying to avoid. I have decided to do videos with the microphone a little to the side of my face so that I'm not blocked as much from the camera, but that's not a universally adapted solution across YouTube, only my solution.

You might try recording with the camera higher, more at the level of your voice to see what you think. Who knows... you may end up preferring the camera lower after you experiment a little, but a more face-on view might help with the projection of emotions that you mentioned earlier.

Don't take any of this as criticism. I thought you did quite well with your video just as it is.

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Cap'n,

If you do get a chance to take voice lessons from the local college, hopefully they will be able to work with you on dealing with various vowel sounds.

Good luck with the voice lessons -- I hope they work out well for you.

Another thing that I noticed in your video that has nothing to do with singing is where you have your camera located. YouTube videos on this subject tend to recommend that the camera be located at about face level. I realize that can be a problem with microphones blocking your face as you sing, and perhaps that's what you were trying to avoid. I have decided to do videos with the microphone a little to the side of my face so that I'm not blocked as much from the camera, but that's not a universally adapted solution across YouTube, only my solution.

You might try recording with the camera higher, more at the level of your voice to see what you think. Who knows... you may end up preferring the camera lower after you experiment a little, but a more face-on view might help with the projection of emotions that you mentioned earlier.

Don't take any of this as criticism. I thought you did quite well with your video just as it is.

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn. Not at all, appreciate the feedback. A bit limited on recording capability. I'm recording on my phone. It sits lower to get at least some of the guitar into the frame. Phone sits propped on a music stand just within reach.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Glenn. Not at all, appreciate the feedback. A bit limited on recording capability. I'm recording on my phone. It sits lower to get at least some of the guitar into the frame. Phone sits propped on a music stand just within reach.
Ah, yes, I understand now.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Which begs the question, what kind of equipment do folks generally use? I'd have to assume something that can be controlled by remote, if working alone.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which begs the question, what kind of equipment do folks generally use? I'd have to assume something that can be controlled by remote, if working alone.
Hi Mark,

A phone is certainly one way to make a video.

I use a separate video camera mounted on a tripod and the camera does have a remote control. See my YouTube site for some examples of what this looks like.

I actually use two video cameras, one zoomed in close on my fingers and located close enough to me that I can simply press the start button without needing a remote control, and the main camera is farther away, and I do use the remote control for that one.

A couple of my videos are also currently up in Show & Tell on the AGF, here and here.

I hope this is helpful!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell