The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick is Red View Post
I see this in a different way. There's ongoing discussion because the original post contains issues that are widely applicable, and therefore of general interest to members of this community. Ever buy and sell guitars to another individual? Most of us have. The ongoing interest in this and the number of views and posts confirm a wider generalized interest beyond one forum members seller's remorse.
This...

One thing that those of us who have been on forums (fora?) for a long time know is that threads can change mutate far outside their original subject matter. And those mutations can be extremely informative.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I'm old school in the way I look at things. If we make a deal either buying or selling then I carry out my end. If I agreed to sell you the guitar and you paid for it, then it's shipping to you regardless.

If I buy something and it is described, then I'm keeping it even if I figure out it's not right for me. It's not the seller's fault that I either didn't research the product enough to know if it'd work for or I couldn't adapt to it.
I agree with this as it was a greed of men I respected when I was growing up' I was always grateful when other stood by it. Do unto others type of thing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

There may be a very short term rise in Collings prices, but I rather doubt that will last. CF Martin and Orville Gibson passed away, and their guitars continue to thrive in the market. I am confident Bill Collings planned for his legacy to continue, and left his company in the hands of very competent folks who will adhere to his design and manufacturing tenets. So, I say go ahead and ship your guitar. The ONLY thing that's changed between when you posted it for sale and today is the Bill Collings has passed away. That alone should not be a good reason to cancel your sale.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

A few weeks back I bought, or thought I bought, a D18 off Reverb. My bank card was charged. And two days later I got a message from the seller, a brick and mortar shop, saying that the D18 was not longer available as it had sold in the shop. They issued me a credit and refunded my money. I was disappointed but I found another D18 and bought it. I moved on. The sun rose the next day. I judge no one and harbor no malice or ill will.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Yeah well I can also agree that even the rarest of guitars can show up within a reasonable time. My white whale was the Guild Orpheum 12 string of which only about 10 were built in 2014. Then last year Chicago Music Exchange (CME) actually got two of them in, one sold right away, but I was able to order the other and my CC was charged. So I waited and waited for days on updates of the status and after I called them it took them another few days to figure out that while I was ordering it online another guy actually called into the store and bought it, which removed it from store inventory but not online inventory. Took almost a month to get my refund and obviously I was pissed with CME and their lack of communications and poor POS system. But it actually had a great outcome for me as about a half year later Guild released the very last of these guitars to a store in Canada where I was able to get it for an actually much lower price too. So the morale is that there's really no point to get hung up on any specific super rare guitar (unless it is a unique model) or supposed great price, because chances are good that an even better opportunity will arise. The only permanent damage is that to the reputation of the party who can not live up to a deal.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM

it shipped and is on it's way to the new owner. again I'm sorry if I offended anyone. half of the money is going to bills so I'm good until I start my job next month.

the other half is going for a used 12 fret d-18. a deal is a deal. I was lucky enough own some of bills guitars. maybe I will again one day. I'm not a rich man a nice dread is the equivalent to me as a boat, Harley or hotrod ill never have that stuff. thats the only luxury I really have ever wanted so it is a big decision to me.

But I'm pretty fortunate guy. I'm going from a almost $6k guitar to a $2k guitar. That's not a real world problem. I'm alive and healthy. I'm sorry if anything was in poor taste. that's all I will say on this topic.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Default Collings as an ex

I think you did the right thing. Obviously you agonized over it and most of us here can appreciate and understand what you went through without casting aspersions.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
it shipped and is on it's way to the new owner. again I'm sorry if I offended anyone. half of the money is going to bills so I'm good until I start my job next month.

the other half is going for a used 12 fret d-18. a deal is a deal. I was lucky enough own some of bills guitars. maybe I will again one day. I'm not a rich man a nice dread is the equivalent to me as a boat, Harley or hotrod ill never have that stuff. thats the only luxury I really have ever wanted so it is a big decision to me.

But I'm pretty fortunate guy. I'm going from a almost $6k guitar to a $2k guitar. That's not a real world problem. I'm alive and healthy. I'm sorry if anything was in poor taste. that's all I will say on this topic.
I certainly wouldn't feel the need to apologize to the half that didn't sympathize with you. That's kinda like throwing the rest of us under the bus
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

You did well.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Well done.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest thing to do.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I am guessing you will enjoy your new D18VS. They are great guitars. I'm sorry you had to sell your D2H. And you have absolutely no reason to apologize.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM

You did the right thing (IMO) not only for the buyer, but for yourself. However wonderful a possession may be, we can't let our things rule us. I have had many periods in my life when I could hardly afford anything; I bought my current Collings when I got a new job with a big raise. If I experienced a financial reversal, I would sell it without hesitation, play some great, affordable instrument -- a really early Yamaha, maybe? -- and let the future take care of itself. Thanks for posting your story and questions; congratulations for stepping up and not letting a material object -- even if it is a Collings -- drive your life. Good luck with the new job, and way to go, paying those bills rather than hanging on to a guitar.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
I certainly wouldn't feel the need to apologize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
you have absolutely no reason to apologize.
+1. Even if you had decided to keep it and refund the buyer, that would have been perfectly reasonable since it hadn't yet been transferred to a new owner. The only thing that really mattered was whether it was the right financial choice for you.

Best wishes.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
+1. Even if you had decided to keep it and refund the buyer, that would have been perfectly reasonable since it hadn't yet been transferred to a new owner. The only thing that really mattered was whether it was the right financial choice for you.

Best wishes.
But the buyer had already paid for it. I guess that is one reason that I have a job; some people vest more power in keeping their word than others do.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion