The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Congrats from one 0018 owner to another! I am a huge fan of the 18 series and the 00 is really special.

Enjoy

madhat.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 AM

00's are great for a variety of things but Ive had two made for just sitting in my overstuffed chair in the morning when I get up and dont have enough energy to do anything. You might call it a couch guitar but its a chair. Its amazing how much sound comes out of such a little box. The other reason I had them made is Martin specs dont work for me, not to mention their prices.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:15 AM

Hey, thanks for your comments all!

Some more stuff. I've had it a few days now, really nice sounding guitar.
Some random comments & not necessarily negative, just stream of conciousness stuff. The body might feel a little small to me, duh! it's an 00, yeah I know and a 000 is only a very little bit larger. I loved on a 0000-28H years back but the neck was a little skinny. Anyway...I think I'll
try to get a 000-18 here and compare, this one has a little magic going on though that I don't want to take a chance by sending
it blindly back first though...anway. TBC.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Hey, thanks for your comments all!

Some more stuff. I've had it a few days now, really nice sounding guitar.
Some random comments & not necessarily negative, just stream of conciousness stuff. The body might feel a little small to me, duh! it's an 00, yeah I know and a 000 is only a very little bit larger. I loved on a 0000-28H years back but the neck was a little skinny. Anyway...I think I'll
try to get a 000-18 here and compare, this one has a little magic going on though that I don't want to take a chance by sending
it blindly back first though...anway. TBC.
Maury's the 0000 custom in the current 18 style.

I've had both the 000 no 00- can't go wrong with either. But I prefer the mid range and sonic character of the 00. While it may seem small - it gets bigger

Good luck.

madhat.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Thanks. Later that day, so yeah nice guitar. I’m liking the shorter scale so I’m over the OM comparison for now but might get a 000-18 here just to compare and keep the one that wins. Some observations, imagined or otherwise - didn’t really care for the strings that came on it, especially the trebles. I put some Polywebs on there(Elixir argument is long old) and it’s weird, it lost some of what it had but it also picked something different up in that it doesn’t sound quite so I dunno - not better, not worse just different, so I’ll probably have to go back & try Nanowebs just to see if I get some of the other back…..blah blah blah, anyway it’s fun to play. I’m really enjoying pick and fingers more than just fingerstyle on it but who knows.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I agree on the stock strings.

I like EJ16s and retros on my 0018.

Have fun.

madhat.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 AM

Thanks, I haven't put EJ16s on there yet which is weird since I've used them a bazillion times. I saw the Retros in the store and almost got some, will have to try 'em. I don't have an 000-18 here yet to compare it with.
Latest is I stuck a set of inexpensive Martin Marquis 80/20 Mediums on there and am tuned a whole step lower. This guitar is not unhappy that way, I don't know if it'll live that way, probably won't but it sounds freaking nice and feels sollid.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Default NGD Martin 00-18 turned into a 000-18

Well, I hemmed & hawed and ended up replacing the 00 with a 000. I have/had both here for a couple of weeks to compare. The 00-18 is definitely sweet, it was all good and really easy to play but I guess I like having the extra low end that this particular 000 has. The 00 is beyond comfortable to play...I was expecting the two necks to be more similar but they're definitely a little different even though they're the same vintage...new & same profile. I didn't break out the calipers but the 00 neck is definitely a little slimmer & a little easier to play. Anyway...it was a tough decision but it is done. Maybe.

Last edited by mondoslug; 08-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

The 00-18 is a great guitar. My nephew ended up with mine. He loves it...I miss it from time to time? But I have others that and it's all good! Congrats and enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 08-13-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:11 PM

Excellent choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion