The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
My experience was the same as Tom's: I saw those cocobolo models and fell in love with that dark color with the sapwood center. Sean sent me several photos like the one Tom posted and one jumped out at me and I asked him to take another couple of shots moving the template around a bit and they nailed what I was looking for. There were a few of that Pau Ferro like Tom's that has some incredible figuring.
Yes, there were a couple of really amazing ones, but they had a little too much sapwood for my taste at least for the front of the guitar so this one seems to split the difference for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Another great veneer choice!

Each of these veneers these past months have been stunning--and yet they can also be so different.

Decades ago, I waited a year and half for a guitar from a famous maker. It was more than worth it.

This summer will pass quickly, as they always do--and a box will suddenly be at your door.

I'd love to see side by side photos of the final guitar compared to the raw veneer to see what changes the top coat brings.
Yes, I did want a darker top like the Cocobolo and asked Sean about it. He assured me this will darken with the application of the resin, how much for sure, I do not know, but I have a feeling it will come out a very deep rich color. At least that is what I am hoping for....
Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Agreed. I really liked that one that came to a point but just a little too wide at the base.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Guest 1478

Looks fantastic!
I assume you're going with a colourless resin?
My ordered X20 woody has amber resin so I wanted a lighter colour timber (quilted maple) so-as not to make the top appear too dark in sub-optimal lighting conditions. It seems the rest of the instrument (cf parts) will appear black when not well lit. I have also opted for the Crystal Ice finish with the top, neck and front of the headstock gloss.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Looks fantastic!
I assume you're going with a colourless resin?
My ordered X20 woody has amber resin so I wanted a lighter colour timber (quilted maple) so-as not to make the top appear too dark in sub-optimal lighting conditions. It seems the rest of the instrument (cf parts) will appear black when not well lit. I have also opted for the Crystal Ice finish with the top, neck and front of the headstock gloss.
To my understanding, the maple veneers are the only ones that have a tint/color applied. All other wood veneers have a clear resin without any tint whatsoever where any change/darkening in color is the natural effect of the woods absorption of the clear resin.

The Pau Ferro as a lighter wood will appear less dark than the cocobolo examples, both of which, as well as the other wood veneers we've seen, are gorgeous in their own way.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Guest 1478

Ok, makes sense. But the darker timbers will come out quite dark when the resin is applied. My preference is to have some contrast between the top and the rest of the guitar when poorly lit. Just my taste in the aesthetics of the instrument. There's no question that the darker woodys also look jaw droppingly good!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Yes, I believe the front will have a clear resin...Sean mentioned a root beer colored back and sides which I have to confirm with him, but I think they may look very nice with what I am envisioning the top to be once done...

I know the Crystal Ice finish is standard on the Opus and a lot of people seem to be opting for that with the Artisans also. I have never felt or seen one in person, I know the Ice is sanded and therefore textured with a flat finish that will resist finger prints where the standard is glossy. Can anyone tell me if it is so much so that it always requires polishing to keep the prints down? How about scratches, is one better than the other?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Tom!!!

You drank the kool-aid!! Lol...its hard not to, hopefully you enjoy the tone as much as the beauty.

Another soon-to-be-member of "The Mug Club".

C'mon in...the kool-aid is delightful.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

P.S. That veneer looks stellar!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, I believe the front will have a clear resin...Sean mentioned a root beer colored back and sides which I have to confirm with him, but I think they may look very nice with what I am envisioning the top to be once done...

I know the Crystal Ice finish is standard on the Opus and a lot of people seem to be opting for that with the Artisans also. I have never felt or seen one in person, I know the Ice is sanded and therefore textured with a flat finish that will resist finger prints where the standard is glossy. Can anyone tell me if it is so much so that it always requires polishing to keep the prints down? How about scratches, is one better than the other?

Thanks.
My X7 is an Opus, and I really like the texture/look of the Crystal Ice. Seems to add to the look, IMHO. The gloss back/sides sets off the wood veneer on my X20. I have seen no difference in the durability - both have traveled with us, neither has any marks. Fingerprints do show on the gloss top on both - I always wipe my guitars down when done playing.

I do like the gloss on the arm bevel and the rolled edges on the top (the way my X7 has it), then the texture as it transitions to the sides... so, you get some of each.

Oh, decisions... those decisions. There is no lesser option - it's all good!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Congratulations on getting sucked in. You better keep an eye on this sub forum as we still get a bit rowdy when no one is watching, but whatever you do don't look at the chimaera threads after midnight.

I have the crystal ice in red on my X20 that I got 3 and a half years ago. It looks pretty good and doesn't leave prints. I do have some abrasions and scratches on the back from basic busking abuse. There is a minor scratch on the smooth neck that I can see but doesn't bother me while playing. I have no clue how it got there. I also have some pick marks on the smooth face that Alistair explained how I could buff out, but I haven't bothered as it's not that big of a deal. Also my Emerald sticker fell out one day while I was playing, so I stuck it in my case and haven't bothered to glue it back in.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

My X7 is all gloss and the X20 has the ice back and sides. The gloss shows the color better and I much prefer the looks of the gloss. Yeah, it gets prints and smudges, but they are easy to wipe off and not an issue. The ice finish has a glare to it that makes it hard to see the CF or the color. My 3 cents...
Old 05-17-2017, 04:03 AM

Nice pau ferro! Really looking forward to the finished guitar!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the help on the finish everyone, that was what I was looking for, I think I will keep it gloss. Now trying to decide on color....
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Color. That could be difficult (too many choices). I know they have deviated from the standard offerings before, so if you have a particular preference you should ask to see if it can be done.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Color. That could be difficult (too many choices). I know they have deviated from the standard offerings before, so if you have a particular preference you should ask to see if it can be done.
Yes, I talked to Sean about it today. We will put it on hold until the end and see what the top looks like and then decide.

Along those lines, I asked Sean if he could wet the veneer for me to get an idea of what it will look like with resin. I was quite pleased with how much the colors and character of the wood came out. I think this will be more pronouced with the resin even:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

That's going to look stunning, Tom. Seeing that will make the wait even harder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber