The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM

I used a product sold online called QuikCallus (not sure the spelling). Paint it on, wait till it thoroughly dries - 10 to 15 minutes if memory serves and I was playing 3rd day 4 hours straight with no pain. I swear by the stuff. Used it for about Two weeks while callous built-up under this stuff and never needed it again.Gave it to another newbie who had the same results. I practiced for over 3 hours a day (I kept track) and I credit that stuff plus YouTube for teaching me how to lower the action on my $100 guitar. Now I have 3 Martins and guitar playing has changed my life. I'm 67 y.o. btw.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 04:40 PM

Everyone's fingers are different. Apparently.
For me, I mainly play hard on weekends. If I miss a weekend, I feel it the next. I also play lighter when practicing than I do at a gig. Using a heavier gauge while practicing will help build them up faster. Playing electric has never been an issue with lighter strings.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat4me View Post
I used a product sold online called QuikCallus (not sure the spelling). Paint it on, wait till it thoroughly dries - 10 to 15 minutes if memory serves and I was playing 3rd day 4 hours straight with no pain. I swear by the stuff. Used it for about Two weeks while callous built-up under this stuff and never needed it again.Gave it to another newbie who had the same results. I practiced for over 3 hours a day (I kept track) and I credit that stuff plus YouTube for teaching me how to lower the action on my $100 guitar. Now I have 3 Martins and guitar playing has changed my life. I'm 67 y.o. btw.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
That's what I like to hear. ... not only good advice, but from a fellow old timer
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:18 AM

once upon a time, there was this thread...about this guy who never washed his hand.
he would wear a doctors glove in the shower.
it is said that the non-hygienic method can indeed speed the development?
myself, iam not so sure.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:31 AM

So ???
Just who is the Old Laughing Lady?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrysGuitarBar View Post
"Free advice - don't spend an hour in the swimming pool on the day of a gig!"

And stop doing the washing up
My wife got me rubber gloves . . . . :-(
Old 11-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk View Post
So ???
Just who is the Old Laughing Lady?
Gods, if we only knew...
Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 AM

I returned to playing after taking 47 years off ever touching a guitar. It took a bit to get the fingers into mode again.

Playing a classic with nylons will help keep your chops and licks running through your brain - so that's what I do in those times when I like to branch out a bit.

About six months ago I bought a Peavey Guitalele (with 6 strings). It's a much shorter version of a guitar - and a longer version of a uke. It's great to experiment with on those freaky chords and lead lines.

The biggest problem is that I play bass and guitar and keyboard too, so the fingers get a good workout all the time now that I'm retired. The next biggest problem is that each instrument develops it's own calluses.
  • The bass creates them on the finger pads.
  • The guitar develops them on the fingertips.
  • The keyboard doesn't really develop any calluses, but the fingers get sore after several hours.

Here's what I did, as I am a guitar/bass player and I do all my own setups anyway:
  1. Drop the strings just almost to the point where they buzz,
  2. Use Earthwood 10s
  3. And practice daily.

I'm almost 71 and I still get called out for fill-in bass and harmonicas for one thing or another, so it pays to keep up your musical training that you are getting every time you pick your instrument up and play it.

Instead of reading a magazine of checking out the lingerie catalogs that your wife gets, read things about music theory. You don't have to understand it all but learn the buzzwords - it'll plug in later on when the light gets brighter.

Your brain needs calluses too.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrysGuitarBar View Post
"Free advice - don't spend an hour in the swimming pool on the day of a gig!"

And stop doing the washing up
I wash my hands before playing, is that what you are speaking of?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron_Talley View Post
You just have to keep at it. Eventually, the calluses will form and your endurance will build up a ton. No real easy way around it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitofingers View Post
... make sure your guitar is setup properly - Nut hight, neck relief, bridge height are the main things there.
These two for me. I've never seen a Custom Balladeer that took much effort to fret but.....

Additionally, examine your fretting technique. I see a lot of people "death grip" the neck and get hand fatigue and sore fingers. Even after decades I tend to grip tighter when performing than practicing to make sure everything is fretted properly. Try relaxing until you have the lightest touch on the fret board that still results in clean notes. Unless your guitar's are way off, you should be able to fret chords without any pressure on the back of the neck - or very little. Fifteen to 20 minutes is pretty short.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuthier View Post
I returned to playing after taking 47 years off ever touching a guitar. It took a bit to get the fingers into mode again.

Playing a classic with nylons will help keep your chops and licks running through your brain - so that's what I do in those times when I like to branch out a bit.

About six months ago I bought a Peavey Guitalele (with 6 strings). It's a much shorter version of a guitar - and a longer version of a uke. It's great to experiment with on those freaky chords and lead lines.

The biggest problem is that I play bass and guitar and keyboard too, so the fingers get a good workout all the time now that I'm retired. The next biggest problem is that each instrument develops it's own calluses.
  • The bass creates them on the finger pads.
  • The guitar develops them on the fingertips.
  • The keyboard doesn't really develop any calluses, but the fingers get sore after several hours.

Here's what I did, as I am a guitar/bass player and I do all my own setups anyway:
  1. Drop the strings just almost to the point where they buzz,
  2. Use Earthwood 10s
  3. And practice daily.

I'm almost 71 and I still get called out for fill-in bass and harmonicas for one thing or another, so it pays to keep up your musical training that you are getting every time you pick your instrument up and play it.

Instead of reading a magazine of checking out the lingerie catalogs that your wife gets, read things about music theory. You don't have to understand it all but learn the buzzwords - it'll plug in later on when the light gets brighter.

Your brain needs calluses too.
Thanks...you give me hope. I'm 63 and it hasn't been that long since I played, also I recently inherited some of my grandchildren so now my time is spent with them instead of practicing my guitar. But I will Keep On Keepin On
Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
These two for me. I've never seen a Custom Balladeer that took much effort to fret but.....

Additionally, examine your fretting technique. I see a lot of people "death grip" the neck and get hand fatigue and sore fingers. Even after decades I tend to grip tighter when performing than practicing to make sure everything is fretted properly. Try relaxing until you have the lightest touch on the fret board that still results in clean notes. Unless your guitar's are way off, you should be able to fret chords without any pressure on the back of the neck - or very little. Fifteen to 20 minutes is pretty short.
This ^. I think you really need to consider spending time focusing on relaxing your left hand fretting pressure as much as possible and try to make it a conscious habit. It sounds like you have some tension and are gripping the neck and pressing the strings more than you need to. While you may want to take a 3-5 minute break every 15 minutes, you should be able to play 2-3 hours if you want if you are not death gripping the neck and strings.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk View Post
That's what I like to hear. ... not only good advice, but from a fellow old timer

I second that. Gives us old timers hope. Lol.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
What you need is a pocket guitar.

It'll not only develop callouses but also lets you practice notes and chords.

Just watched a YouTube video on Jam Stick. Pretty awesome. And pretty expensive too.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron_Talley View Post
You just have to keep at it. Eventually, the calluses will form and your endurance will build up a ton. No real easy way around it!
This. There's no way around it. Don't waste your time on anything else.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write