The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Deep Body 12-Fret 000

Had anyone seen or played a Martin, 12-fret, 000 guitar with a deep body (i.e. the 4 5/8" "deep body" option)? I imagine, if such a thing exists, it would be a custom. I realize it's a long shot, but if someone out there has one or has played one, care to share your opinion and its basic specs? Very curious...
Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is an older thread -- I re-activated the Richard Smith guitar listing to show the specs...https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/Ma...y-Cutaway.html

Last edited by MFG; 07-23-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Jo longer available
Old 04-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Have any reviews or insights about either this one or the non-cutaway version? I've never seen a 12-fret 000DB, let alone played one!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:16 PM

As I recall, about twenty years ago, Martin was making such an instrument as part of a series called "Women I'm Music", or something like that. I don't recall specifics, but it was a deeper than normal 000 with a twelve fret neck. A friend of mine had one and it was truly sweet.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:46 AM

I love 12 fret deep body guitars. Not a Martin but an early 1930s Oahu "Nick Lucas." 12 fret, 000 size with a deep maple body and 1 13/16" nut and 2 5/16" string spread at the bridge.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
As I recall, about twenty years ago, Martin was making such an instrument as part of a series called "Women I'm Music", or something like that. I don't recall specifics, but it was a deeper than normal 000 with a twelve fret neck. A friend of mine had one and it was truly sweet.
Nope, nope, nope. They were called the Women and Music Series (WAM), and they were 00-16 with the deep body. I have a 1998 00-16DBR (Deep Body Rosewood) WAM guitar, and can assure you, it is a 14 fret, slot head guitar with a 1 11/16" nut. For the smaller body, the guitar has great presence with regard to tone and volume.

The WAM guitars were initially designed as a smaller body guitar, specifically for women, who often found the size of the dreadnaught unwieldy, and not typically 'boobie'-friendly. The problem with the smaller bodied guitars was often the loss of volume and bass end tone. That's pretty much when the DB (Deep Body) was born...melding the comfort of the smaller 00 size, with the depth of the dreadnaught for volume and tone. The 1 11/16" nut was carried over from the dreadnaught, as it was very familiar to most dread players. Many say it may well be one of Martin's finest designs. It was initially offered in a Spruce/Mahogany version in mid to late 1997, and was quickly followed by the Spruce/Rosewood in 1998, and I believe the Spruce/Maple version followed in 1999 or 2000. All were relatively short production runs, and Martin discontinued the WAM Series due to low demand, which is often attributed to the WAM designation, which put male players off of what is a truly truly wonderful little guitar.

The same basic design was most recently used on the 00-16DB Jeff Tweedy, which is an all Mahogany 14 fret, but now with the 1 3/4" nut, and solid headstock. Both the WAM and the Tweedy sport vintage-style Waverly tuners. So, if you want an all Hog version of the WAM guitars' body design and depth, but with the more fingerstyle friendly wider nut and no slotted headstock, the Martin Tweedy is the way to go...but neither are 12 fret guitars in their standard configuration.

Lisa
2014 Taylor GS Mini HV
2014 Taylor GS Mini-e FLTD Koa (Currently Residing w/Son)
Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the clarification, Lisa. I am aware of the deep body 00s, but I wonder why Martin hasn't tried a deep body 12-fret 000. The link above takes you to a cut-away custom version, but aside from that, they've apparently not made one. Seems like that would be about as close to a dreadnought tone you could get without playing a dreadnought!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Most of the WIM guitars were 00s, Raf. They were sweet, though.

TW
Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
Nope, nope, nope. They were called the Women and Music Series (WAM), and they were 00-16 with the deep body. I have a 1998 00-16DBR (Deep Body Rosewood) WAM guitar, and can assure you, it is a 14 fret, slot head guitar with a 1 11/16" nut. For the smaller body, the guitar has great presence with regard to tone and volume.

The WAM guitars were initially designed as a smaller body guitar, specifically for women, who often found the size of the dreadnaught unwieldy, and not typically 'boobie'-friendly. The problem with the smaller bodied guitars was often the loss of volume and bass end tone. That's pretty much when the DB (Deep Body) was born...melding the comfort of the smaller 00 size, with the depth of the dreadnaught for volume and tone. The 1 11/16" nut was carried over from the dreadnaught, as it was very familiar to most dread players. Many say it may well be one of Martin's finest designs. It was initially offered in a Spruce/Mahogany version in mid to late 1997, and was quickly followed by the Spruce/Rosewood in 1998, and I believe the Spruce/Maple version followed in 1999 or 2000. All were relatively short production runs, and Martin discontinued the WAM Series due to low demand, which is often attributed to the WAM designation, which put male players off of what is a truly truly wonderful little guitar.

The same basic design was most recently used on the 00-16DB Jeff Tweedy, which is an all Mahogany 14 fret, but now with the 1 3/4" nut, and solid headstock. Both the WAM and the Tweedy sport vintage-style Waverly tuners. So, if you want an all Hog version of the WAM guitars' body design and depth, but with the more fingerstyle friendly wider nut and no slotted headstock, the Martin Tweedy is the way to go...but neither are 12 fret guitars in their standard configuration.

Lisa

Those were the one's, Lisa. I thought that they were excellent designs. I played several over the years with the different tone woods. My friend had a used Spruce/Mahogany version on consignment in his store that I thought about buying, but couldn't get past the 1 11/16" nut.

I must admit that I was fair amused when I would try and sell it to some guy who would really like it until they decided that it was a "girls guitar." Nah, it was just a guitar. And a good one.

Besides, I like women and music.

TW
Old 04-24-2016, 03:56 PM

I own the one pictured here. Unless somebody else sold one from MFG that had the K&K pickup and external amp.

I love it. Though it took a bit to get used to a dreadnought depth on a smaller body.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 PM

Thanks Lisa........I would dearly love to play this model. I think the 00 body is wonderful and the added 'Deep Body' makes it an even better candidate.

Do you know how many of those 00-16 DBR were made Lisa? You don't often see them for sale used.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Thanks Lisa........I would dearly love to play this model. I think the 00 body is wonderful and the added 'Deep Body' makes it an even better candidate.

Do you know how many of those 00-16 DBR were made Lisa? You don't often see them for sale used.
I don't remember...I'll have to check on that and get back to you. Somehow I am thinking it was like 900 made in that wood set. Mine is #238.
2014 Taylor GS Mini HV
2014 Taylor GS Mini-e FLTD Koa (Currently Residing w/Son)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 AM

Default Martin Deep Body 12-Fret 000

An idea too long in coming IMO - I'd like to see an all-hog non-cut version with VS-style appointments and all-over aging toner, similar in spirit/price to both the old CEO-5 and the recent 17-Series - should be a cannon...

What say, Ted...?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Had anyone seen or played a Martin, 12-fret, 000 guitar with a deep body .......Very curious...
What is it you're looking for. Volume? Bass? ....? If you haven't, play a 000-28VS - 12-fret, normal scale - more than plenty of both - if that's what you seek.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 AM

Thanks for correcting my foggy recollections. It's been more than a decade since I've seen one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion