The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 AM

Default Single room DE-humidifier

This has been a VERY wet summer here in Western PA! Even with my AC going my humidity levels have been reading a bit high dying the rainy days. I've had periods where the humidity within my house gets up to about 70%. When it's not raining it seems to stay in the 55-65% range during the summer.

I've been trying to avoid having any type of humidification system within each guitar case as I just don't truly trust them and I think I can control the humidity of my home just as well.

I have a humidifier built into my furnace which seems to work pretty well during the cold dry months.

I just bought a pretty inexpensive dehumidifier on Amazon which I'm hoping can lower the humidity just slightly in the one room I keep my acoustics. It's not a large room, maybe 15x15. This Pro Breeze PB-02-US model got pretty good reviews on Amazon and if it ends up not working well it was not that expensive.

Has anyone else had success using a small dehumidifier like this? Again, I'm not trying to go from 100% down to 45% in my entire house but if I can get it from 70% back down to 45-55% in one small room I'd be a happy camper!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 AM

I have the same issue since relocating my instruments to my finished basement. I live in a pretty dry area (eastern WA) but now that my hygrometer is in the basement with all the instruments I find the RH is often in the mid 50% range. There aren't any de-humidifiers in the local stores since most people here have the opposite problem.
I'm interested in hearing how this unit works for you.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I have the same issue since relocating my instruments to my finished basement. I live in a pretty dry area (eastern WA) but now that my hygrometer is in the basement with all the instruments I find the RH is often in the mid 50% range. There aren't any de-humidifiers in the local stores since most people here have the opposite problem.

Amazon has several units to choose from. I went with a small one that can dehumidify up to 1200 cubic feet. There is a medium size unit that will do double the space for only $30 more. It's a bit bigger though. If this doesn't work I'll return and get the bigger unit. But I'd prefer to have as small of one as possible.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 AM

I'm also struggling with inside humidity, and since I leave near the beach. The humidity is typically in the 60-70% regardless of season inside my studio apartment.

I currently use own of those small dehumidifier, works great in pulling moisture. BUT it's not enough to decrease the humidity in my apartment.

Now I'm subjected to keeping my guitar in the case with silica gels, etc. I'm seeing how that will work. Since I just ordered a few things for dehumidifying the guitar in the case. Since I just got my guitar several days ago.

Last option would be to get one those full size room dehumidifiers. Like Frigidaire, etc. they cost anywhere between $150-220. But well worth the investment, I plan to get one as a last resort.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Do you find the mid 50% range to be too high? I thought about 40 - 60% was pretty much the range to be in.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 AM

I would check your air conditioner no way should your humility be 70% inside your house that's completely uncomfortable. Or maybe your humidistat is wrong.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I would check your air conditioner no way should your humility be 70% inside your house that's completely uncomfortable. Or maybe your humidistat is wrong.
My studio is more like a very large guest room in a home. My studio doesn't have a/c, but rarely get's hot in my studio and I've been here for years. The most it gets is around 78*F, average is in the low 70's currently. The humidity though inside my studio sucks since it fluctuates between 60-70%, and I have a hygrometer to monitor all that.

Since the beginning of this summer it's been averaging ~68-70%. I plan to invest in a full size dehumidifier in the future. For now I'm keeping my guitar in it's hard-case.

As of last night the guitar in it's hard-case has dropped to about ~63%. I'm going to add silica gel, etc. to help bring the humidity down.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
My studio is more like a very large guest room in a home. My studio doesn't have a/c, but rarely get's hot in my studio and I've been here for years. The most it gets is around 78*F, average is in the low 70's currently. The humidity though inside my studio sucks since it fluctuates between 60-70%, and I have a hygrometer to monitor all that.

Since the beginning of this summer it's been averaging ~68-70%. I plan to invest in a full size dehumidifier in the future. For now I'm keeping my guitar in it's hard-case.

As of last night the guitar in it's hard-case has dropped to about ~63%. I'm going to add silica gel, etc. to help bring the humidity down.

The house is rather cool around 70-71 degrees. But on real wet days the humidity goes to 65-70%. I have two hydrometers in two rooms that read close to each other. It's just been so wet lately. I'm putting all my acoustics in my home office and hopefully this dehumidifier can bring it down. I don't want something loud and noisy which is why I went with this small quiet unit. Hopefully it works.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
no way should your humility be 70% inside your house that's completely uncomfortable.
My humility has never been anywhere near 70% at any time, neither inside nor outside my house ...
Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
The house is rather cool around 70-71 degrees. But on real wet days the humidity goes to 65-70%. I have two hydrometers in two rooms that read close to each other. It's just been so wet lately. I'm putting all my acoustics in my home office and hopefully this dehumidifier can bring it down. I don't want something loud and noisy which is why I went with this small quiet unit. Hopefully it works.
Yes exactly, I'm left with just keeping it in it's hard-case. I just a bought second hygrometer.

The full size ones, do make noise from what I've read. Supposedly equivalent to the noise of wall a/c unit or something. I got enough stuff in my studio, don't think I want to add another item. Lol
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
Yes exactly, I'm left with just keeping it in it's hard-case. I just a bought second hygrometer.

The full size ones, do make noise from what I've read. Supposedly equivalent to the noise of wall a/c unit or something. I got enough stuff in my studio, don't think I want to add another item. Lol

Yes full size ones are very loud. I've used them before in my Sport Clips store after a flood. They're large, loud, and generally not fun. I'll let you know how this little one works. They claim that they are quiet and small. Hopefully for a 15x15 room it's enough to drop the humidity to an acceptable level. Otherwise I'll step up to the next size for just a little more cost and size.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Yes full size ones are very loud. I've used them before in my Sport Clips store after a flood. They're large, loud, and generally not fun. I'll let you know how this little one works. They claim that they are quiet and small. Hopefully for a 15x15 room it's enough to drop the humidity to an acceptable level. Otherwise I'll step up to the next size for just a little more cost and size.
Yeah that sucks on the noise level, I actually have one of the small ones extremely quiet. I have it running as we speak, but honestly it's not helping decrease RH. Although it does pull/collect a lot of water, so I know it's working properly. My studio is around ~700-800 sqft I think. But certainly bigger than average studio apartments.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Here in Minneapolis, folks struggle both winter AND summer with proper humidity. I hope these units work well. I have found it's usually best to get the LARGER (2X what "the spec." is rated at) if possible for humidifiers (I have the Venta) but how effective are these DE-humidifiers?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Do you find the mid 50% range to be too high? I thought about 40 - 60% was pretty much the range to be in.
I'm not noticing high humdity problems like muddy sound, action problems or anything. I prefer 45% to 55% RH.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not noticing high humdity problems like muddy sound, action problems or anything. I prefer 45% to 55% RH.
The other day it was ~69-70% inside my studio, and I grabbed the guitar to play it. And it sounded so muddy and ugly, I need to get the RH down. My other guitar which is all laminate I'm sure of, seems to do much better with this high humidity. I'm playing that until I can get the RH in the guitar case settled.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion