The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

There are several theories in every field of self-improvement.

I ascribe to the theory of neuro-plasticity which says that your brain needs to map new pathways when learning something and that the pathways are reinforced and "stored" as you sleep.

This theory suggests that, when truly learning something new, 20 minutes is the optimal time, before you need to (literally) sleep on it and let your brain firm up the learning.

I am referring strictly to learning and really studying new things, not just noodling around or playing songs.

So 20-30 minute sessions for learning seem best, to me. In my experience, the time beyond that might help but with rapidly diminishing returns. I'll usually study for 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day, as opposed to a single 60-90 minute session.

I also find that playing right before bed and when I wake up in the morning is very enjoyable and seems to help my playing and my overall daily mood.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
There are several theories in every field of self-improvement.

I ascribe to the theory of neuro-plasticity which says that your brain needs to map new pathways when learning something and that the pathways are reinforced and "stored" as you sleep.

This theory suggests that, when truly learning something new, 20 minutes is the optimal time, before you need to (literally) sleep on it and let your brain firm up the learning.

I am referring strictly to learning and really studying new things, not just noodling around or playing songs.

So 20-30 minute sessions for learning seem best, to me. In my experience, the time beyond that might help but with rapidly diminishing returns. I'll usually study for 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day, as opposed to a single 60-90 minute session.

I also find that playing right before bed and when I wake up in the morning is very enjoyable and seems to help my playing and my overall daily mood.

Good advice here. I think I could swing 20 minute sessions easier than longer ones. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I struggle with the same issue. With a six month old and a 3 year old it's hard. Add o top of that being a small business owner and all the commitments associated with that and there is the struggle. I've been recently thinking about working on songs that my 3 year old likes because then I could include him and make it part of family time. Hopefully that would even influence him to take an interest!
Its tough. I've been 'playing' for 10 years. During that time there have been periods when I haven't picked up a guitar for up to 3 months.
Personally, I tend to concentrate on songs rather than scales, theory, technique, etc. Even when I feel that I'm not making progress I can just play through my repertoire to remind me why I picked up the guitar in the first place.

Don't let it become a chore. You'll get there.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I try to play every day, and I usually succeed for at least a half hour - other days I spend a couple hours playing, occasionally more. I rotate acoustic guitars to the Hercules stand, sometimes mandolin or bass, but the electric guitar is always out and gets the most play time. They're all in different tunings, most of the time, so each switch takes a bit of time to reset my brain. Noodling leading to songs, mostly, or playing songs and bits of songs I've already come up with, but sometimes I'll practice other people's songs. I used to play along with records and CDs a lot, improvisation on electric, but I don't do that very often anymore - that was great for getting my fingers moving and learning licks and patterns. Very rarely, I'll practice scales, but I find that pretty boring. I reckon, it's all good if you're playing music and enjoying it in the process, and it'll lead to more skills over time.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 07-22-2017, 06:47 PM

I practice/play from a bunch of songbooks I originally got given plus I also make up my own stuff. (Strumming, fiat picking and fingerpicking).

As for electric, I normally improvise lead over YouTube country and rockabilly guitar backing tracks.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I never practice unless I need to learn a new tune for a gig. I rarely play for fun and my duo has about 300 +/- tunes on our songlist so we really don't learn anything new. Most of what we do is older tunes that we've been playing for 50 years so we know them pretty well. No interest in learning new stuff.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
... I rarely play for fun....No interest in learning new stuff.
My condolences

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
My condolences
What I meant was : I have no interest in learning any NEW music as I haven't heard anything I though was worth learning. Most of what our duo plays is 50's and early 60's pop/rock and some classic country which is what our audience likes. At home, when I decide to play, which is rarely, I mostly play old Piedmont, country blues, Celtic, Merle Travis, and ragtime. I may start investigating some tunes by some Japanese composers that I find interesting - much more melodic than most everything else I've heard. I just don't play for pleasure much because I can't find much that I'm interested in playing. No condolences necessary.......
Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Default What are your practice habits?

Thanks all for the input and advice. I know it all comes down to priorities and making the time. I think I'm going to try and commit more time in the morning before I go to work. I may even bring a guitar to my office! I think that could help get some additional time in and hopefully that will move my learning progression along.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM

Varies. Can be an hour+ a day for many days followed by not being able to touch a guitar for several days. I'm at the mercy of my job and family.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Varies. Can be an hour+ a day for many days followed by not being able to touch a guitar for several days. I'm at the mercy of my job and family.

I hear ya! That seems to be my biggest challenge also!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 AM

I still use the same pattern since I first started nearly 8 months ago. I keep practicing the songs I want to play. Practice the chord placements, etc. I invest at least a minimum of 30 mins a day. But time flies so quick I end up practicing/playing for at least an hour. I have yet to take classes, but maybe in the future.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM

I play every day and I always want to be challenged. So I'm constantly learning new stuff no matter what it is. I want to progress and not get stuck in a ditch musically. Most guys are content to play only in the first three frets, not interested in that at all. The whole guitar fingerboard is there for a reason. There are beautiful thirds and fifths and other things that appeal to me up the neck. I'm not going to even talk about all the more open chords up the neck.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Just one more thing, I don't know if you are learning finger style or not, but I waste more time thinking I can play something faster than my fingers are ready for. I have to keep reminding myself to play the notes as just sequential positions, then once I get a good feel to where they are supposed to go, then go back and mold it into musical sense. It takes a lot of patience to learn a song this way, something I run short of sometimes.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Just one more thing, I don't know if you are learning finger style or not, but I waste more time thinking I can play something faster than my fingers are ready for. I have to keep reminding myself to play the notes as just sequential positions, then once I get a good feel to where they are supposed to go, then go back and mold it into musical sense. It takes a lot of patience to learn a song this way, something I run short of sometimes.

Good feedback. I've actually been getting into finger style for the first time. I suffer from the same issue. My brain wants to go fast but my muscle memory can't handle it yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion