The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Strumming problems

I seem to behaving all sorts of problems with strumming. I thought it was just the thickness of the pick I was using but it doesn't seem to be the problem. It's hard to explain exactly but it's like some strings especially high E tend to ring out louder than others like I'm using more force on this string. So my strums don't make a consistent sound if that makes sense. Everything sounds very tinny like there isn't enough bass note in there, if that also makes sense sense.
I've tried strumming more gently but that doesn't really make much of a difference.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
I seem to behaving all sorts of problems with strumming. I thought it was just the thickness of the pick I was using but it doesn't seem to be the problem. It's hard to explain exactly but it's like some strings especially high E tend to ring out louder than others like I'm using more force on this string. So my strums don't make a consistent sound if that makes sense. Everything sounds very tinny like there isn't enough bass note in there, if that also makes sense sense.
I've tried strumming more gently but that doesn't really make much of a difference.
Hi Troy. I had exactly the same problems. First, I always had a death grip on my pick because I couldn't control it. I didn't have good control of which strings to hit, and control of how hard I hit the strings. It was very inconsistent.

Practice will help a lot. I also practice with the strings all muted with my fretting hand so I can concentrate on strumming only. Try to relax your fingers, wrist, arm, and shoulders. Relax your grip on the pick. Be patient. It will get better!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Troyboi,

what guitar do you have?

Ll.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
Troyboi,

what guitar do you have?

Ll.
I have 5. An American made PRS electric, a Cordoba Dolce Nylon, an Eastman E20P parlor, an Emerald X7 carbon fiber, and a Blackbird Lucky 13, also a carbon fiber guitar.

I did a lot of chasing of guitars when I first started. Everyone said I needed dreadnaught guitars, so that's what I bought. After a lot of purchase/sell cycles, I have settled in on O or OO size 12 fret, short scale guitars. I am also moving to all carbon fiber as we have homes in Washington and Arizona, and I don't like to deal with environmental concerns.

By this time next year, I hope to only have 2 guitars. 1 steel string, and 1 nylon string made from a composite material.

I've done a little bit of "buying better so I play better". Don't fall into that trap. As long as your guitar is reasonable quality, and well set up, the tone is mostly in your fingers. NOT your wallet!

Craig
Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
Troyboi,

what guitar do you have?

Ll.
LoL. Lew, I need to learn to read! Thought I was answering Troy.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:27 PM

I have a Greg Bennet D7. I've had the action lowered and it seems to be an ok guitar. It has a solid top from what I've read.

I'll include some strumming practice with the strings muted and see if that helps.

I've tried relaxing my fingers that holds the pick but then I find it starts to slip and turn in my fingers. I tried a very thin pick which sort of helped but I didn't like the sound. I also seem to be a lot better with using just my finger nails but then I can't seem to not strum the top strings in chords like D.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I have a Greg Bennet D7. I've had the action lowered and it seems to be an ok guitar. It has a solid top from what I've read.

I'll include some strumming practice with the strings muted and see if that helps.

I've tried relaxing my fingers that holds the pick but then I find it starts to slip and turn in my fingers. I tried a very thin pick which sort of helped but I didn't like the sound. I also seem to be a lot better with using just my finger nails but then I can't seem to not strum the top strings in chords like D.
For D and C chords, you need to either avoid hitting the 6th string (which we call the bottom string, btw, even though it's on top ) or mute it with your thumb (so if you do hit it you don't hear it). With a D chord, you can hit the 5th as well as the other 4, it doesn't matter.

As for the pick, thin is best when learning, because it will give as it crosses the strings. You can hold it lightly or firmly, it won't do any damage, and you won't drop it! Naturally, the thinner the pick, the thinner the sound, but you can work up, as you get used to controlling it. Personally, I like .60- or 73 for strumming, although I can use .88 if playing live and loud. I can't use anything rigid like a 1.00 or thicker, unless I'm playing a more detailed flat-picking technique - where I'm aiming for individual strings, and not using a wide arm movement. (This is on steel-string acoustic, 11 gauge strings, btw.)

The main thing to aim for when free strumming (hitting all the strings in full chords), is a good, wide, relaxed forearm movement, pivoting from the elbow, holding the pick pointing straight into the guitar (not rotating the wrist to brush the pick up or down). Move the pick at least the width of the guitar, equally above and below the strings, as smoothly as a pendulum or metronome. (This is for "straight" rhythms, equal 8ths, as in most rock music. For swing feel, you need to let the pick drop further below the string, so the upstrokes are delayed.)

Make sure you always strum down on the beat, counting your downs as 1-2-3-4. (Not every stroke has to hit.) At slow tempos, you'd strum down on all the 8ths too, because what matters is a comfortable arm movement - as you slow down it starts feeling stiff, so at a certain point you'd double up, with a little bounce after the beat and a secondary down on the "and" between.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the tips and advice JonPR. I will keep at it with my thinnest pick for now which does make it feel easier and see how I go once I've been practicing for a few more months.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Try finding a rounded mandolin pick like a Golden Gate or a Dawg. Your point is probably digging in more on some strings than on others. The rounded picks don't do that as they are designed for techniques like tremolo. You can adjust the final sound by adding more point as needed or you can try rounding the tip of the pick you are using now.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Try finding a rounded mandolin pick like a Golden Gate or a Dawg. Your point is probably digging in more on some strings than on others. The rounded picks don't do that as they are designed for techniques like tremolo. You can adjust the final sound by adding more point as needed or you can try rounding the tip of the pick you are using now.
Thanks HHP....Ill give that a try.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Troyboi. Stick with it, the more you practice the more it will pay off. You might find these 2 videos helpful....

and..

and
Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDepew View Post
Hi Troyboi. Stick with it, the more you practice the more it will pay off. You might find these 2 videos helpful....

and..

and
Thanks mate, will check them all out.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Justin Sandercore's (Justin Guitar) RUST DVD really helped me with my right hand strumming technique (assuming you are playing a right handed guitar). While you will adapt your strumming patterns to the music you want to play, the patterns and technique he presents built a good foundation to grow from. It's a fun workout where you can practice different chord progressions with the patterns he presents. I'd play along to drum tracks also to add more spice.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write