The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Carbon Fiber guitar pick anyone?

I can't remember seeing these mentioned here before, but the other day I came across a carbon fiber guitar pick. It's made by Iron Age Guitar Accessories, and costs all of $7 - which has to be just about the least expensive carbon fiber thingy you'll ever find.

https://ironageaccessories.com/produ...er-guitar-pick

The interesting thing is that it's quite thin for it's stiffness. It's about as stiff as my BlueChip TP50, but less than half as thick (0.024"). Not as mellow in tone as the BlueChip, but not as bright as nylon or acrylic to my ears. For $7, give one a try.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:54 AM

Are they actually textured, or does it just look like that?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

These look interesting. Not sure I want to deal with the dust issue mentioned on the web site.

I've been using Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Fiber Picks for many years. They have a mellow sound, cost less than $1 each, and they don't break, flake, or produce dust. One pick would be a lifetime supply if you don't lose it of have it hidden in an unusual place by the Pick Monster.

I dip the the grip end in some stuff made for drum sticks, which gives them more mass and an even more mellow sound.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:38 AM

It demonstrates a nice honesty from the company that they are so up front about mentioning the dust thing ...

puts them into the straight dealing category of "our own" Charmed Life, Mick's Goat Whiskey, and Wolfram Slides, gotta admire that.

My bare fingers shed quite a bit of ground flesh dust onto the top under the strings.
Hardly a problem, leave it for "mojo" , or quick wipe, done.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 AM

I haven't noticed the dust yet, but then I just got it. As for the surface, it's smooth. The two holes do a pretty good job of giving your thumb a good grip, which is good as otherwise I think it could get pretty slippery.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM

I prefer a very stiff pick these days, using Fender celluloid heavy gauge more than any other. A very stiff CF pick definitely has some appeal. But I can buy a dozen of those celluloid picks just about anywhere for the price of one CF pick ($7.00 plus shipping). However, I will consider them and have bookmarked their web site. Thanks for the point out. Anything carbon fiber is intriguing. I wouldn't worry about the dust - that would simply be like ground charcoal powder, also pure carbon, and nothing toxic.

I used textured Tor-Tis and other picks for years, going progressively heavier in gauge as my skills advanced Eventually the grippy texture would wear smooth, defeating the purpose. Then one day I had to borrow a glossy medium celluloid pick on stage. To my surprise, the polished surface stuck to the skin easier than the texture, helped by just a little bit of moisture (condensation from my beer glass).
Old 07-16-2017, 03:29 PM

These look interesting but I worry about the mentioned stiffness. I use a .6 delrin that is stiff but not overly so for a nice rake across the strings. still might order a couple and give em a try.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Guitar Moose offers carbon-fiber guitar picks complete with their grippy surfaces. I've got a few and they're nice. Carbon-fiber guitars picks are another alternative in a quest for tone.

Guitar Moose Carbon Fiber Guitar Picks
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-16-2017, 10:24 PM

Thanks, SpruceTop. I will add one of these Guitar Moose picks to my next Elderly order for some testing. It's almost time to stock up on strings and sundries again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber