The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Mike, Loved your playing! I wish my L13 sounded like yours.

I thought the Savoy and Taylor were about even in most respects. And all 3 seemed closer when fingerpicked. I don't have the most discerning ear though.

I was impressed enough with the Savoy to open a sales discussion with Joe.

Add my name to the list of folks that would be very interested in a nylon version of the Savoy. I could easily see having a steel and nylon Savoy as my only 2 guitars.

Thanks for taking the time to make and post this comparison.

Craig
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Great playing there Mike!

My choice:

1. Savoy
2. 814ce
3. L13

Wait, you did not ask for choice, did you? Haha.

Thanks for the great effort there!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Guest 928

Craig;

When Joe came out with the Super OM a number of people expressed interest in a nylon version (on Michael's cf forum). Five people committed to the estimate price and Joe made the limited edition Super OMN.

When you talk with Joe would you ask him if he'd be willing to work the same magic with the Savoy? I suspect Kramster would really want to be in this and I suspect that there would be more than five people willing to give the project a run.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I could easily see having a steel and nylon Savoy as my only 2 guitars.
This is precisely my goal, to have a perfectly matched pair of acoustic guitars, one steel string and one nylon, as my only acoustic guitars. This is why I am only considering brands that offer the possibility. Right now, those brands are Rainsong, Emerald, and Taylor.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Craig; <SNIP>
When you talk with Joe would you ask him if he'd be willing to work the same magic with the Savoy? I suspect Kramster would really want to be in this and I suspect that there would be more than five people willing to give the project a run.
Hi Evan. I will do that when/if he responds to my email. I'd be very interested to see some pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2
This is precisely my goal, to have a perfectly matched pair of acoustic guitars, one steel string and one nylon, as my only acoustic guitars. This is why I am only considering brands that offer the possibility. Right now, those brands are Rainsong, Emerald, and Taylor.
Hi Tom. While not specifically my goal, it would be nice to have both from the same maker, with the same neck size shape, etc.

Hopefully Joe will entertain the notion.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Craig and Jimmy, for the kind words. As I type this, my Savoy is resting on my knee in Aviano, Italy. The guitar easily travelled in the overhead bin across the pond, and was very light to haul through the Amsterdam airport to my connecting flight to Venice. Best part, though, is the combination of tone and playability that is packed into this little beast.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 AM

I agree with Ted here. My favourite is the Taylor, but that really is a different beast with a significantly larger body and longer scale length.

Great recordings.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

To my knowledge the only production model cf guitar in both steel and nylon versions is the Rainsong Parlor. In terms of having a custom pair, I think that Emerald and Blackbird may be the only options.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the recording! Savoy sounds great. I almost wish I hadn't listened to your recording, now I just want a Savoy that much more.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks sirwhale and Ben!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber