The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Help me figure out where to find part

Hi,

So I'm trying to figure out which bridge / saddle is needed for this Sigma DM-5 and I don't want to waste money buying a random used one on ebay and having to resell it until I find something that works. It is the adjustable metal part.

I picked this guitar up last year for free and my dad wanted it, he has stage 4 cancer and just had a stroke, so I'd like to try to get the parts for it if anyone can offer any suggestions or links to a proper part. Doesn't matter if it is a new, used, as long as it will fit and function and doesn't cost a small fortune. I don't play guitar, but my dad does. This guitar is in pretty bad shape (hence free), but my dad wants to play with it even if it doesn't end up prefect.

I guess the obvious is measurements, it needs to fit. I see some used ones on ebay, but have different screw heads (often bigger and possibly recessed), so will any one work in this as long as it fits?

I'm not exactly sure how they mount; do they need a nut on the under side or do they simply rest in place?

Forgive my ignorance on this, I don't really know much of anything about guitars.

Thank you.

Attached is a photo of the guitar so you can see what I'm talking about
IMG_5912 by Kyle Manoff, on Flickr

Last photo is one I found in an ebay AD while researching these, which is what the stock saddle looks like I believe.
s-l1600 by Kyle Manoff, on Flickr
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I have a guitar with and adjustable saddle similar to that and I think the one you saw on ebay would possibly fit, but as you said, it comes down to dimensions.

This one on Ebay states the distance between the screws (2-13/16") which is one of the crucial measurements. If that's correct, you could reach out to the guy to get the other dimensions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Japa...kAAOSwiQ9ZVwFU
Old 07-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I have a guitar with and adjustable saddle similar to that and I think the one you saw on ebay would possibly fit, but as you said, it comes down to dimensions.

This one on Ebay states the distance between the screws (2-13/16") which is one of the crucial measurements. If that's correct, you could reach out to the guy to get the other dimensions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Japa...kAAOSwiQ9ZVwFU
Thank you for the reply.

Ok, so make sure the bolts fit from center to center, and overall length width and height. Seems like such a basic part to replace and should be so simple, but if I miss one thing I assume it may not work quite right (I suppose being adjustable helps the height range). Guess it isn't the end of the world even if I get one that doesn't fit, I just hate trying to resell the parts afterwards to recoup the cash. Perhaps I'll see if he can get me the rest of the dimensions.

Am I correct in thinking this saddle simply "sits" in place? No nuts or anything on the underside?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Mine is a little different, but it looks as though on yours the screws sit on top of the bridge and the part that raises and lowers has threads that enable it to be adjusted. So, to answer your question, yes, it just sits in place. The tension of the strings holds it down.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Have you taken the guitar to a local guitar shop to see if they have parts in stock to help you out?

you're not the first person trying to make a playable instrument on a shoestring budget and you might even get some hands on assistance.

it's a nice thing you're trying to do for your dad, sorry to hear his condition; music sure can help in alot of ways.

welcome to the AGF>

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-11-2017, 03:16 PM

The screw heads have to be larger than the slot or it won't adjust. The heads rest on the surface of the bridge allowing the threads to pull the saddle towards the surface of the bridge. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 AM

I have one that measures just a hair over 3-3/8" long and a hair under 1/4" wide. If that will fit, I'll be happy to send it to you. Email me [email protected]

Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 PM

stewart macdonald should have generic saddle for this if local shop can't help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair