The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 PM

Default Sable has arrived!

I had a great Rainsong Hybrid Dread and sold it about 2 years ago and have regretted it as having a CF guitar here in south Florida is hugely beneficial. Although the Concert Hybrid guitars really piqued my interest as they were introduced, having done the Rainsong thing, I wanted to try something else. I really liked the RS, but you know how it goes.

I have been considering the Emerald guitars but were really intrigued with the custom woodys and the months of waiting was not in the cards. I have also been really impressed with the McPherson Sable from what I've seen online, especially from Jarvis in Singapore. So I called Ted and discussed the Sable and some of his Rainsong offerings and decided on the Sable. I have always loved the McPherson wood guitars I have seen and heard so I'm looking forward to seeing what they, along with Ellis Seal, have brought to the CF market.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

Last edited by Matt McGriff; 07-28-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Nice buy! A very great sounding and playable critter with a great name behind it. Maybe some day get a bow to go with it! (And some arrows )....The folks at McPherson are quite passionated about their CF guitars and of course all the great wood ones as well.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Matt, I think you will love it! Currently the Sable id as close to the tone of wood as you can get with a carbon fiber guitar, but they do it without muting what we like about CF tone. Pretty sure we discussed this over the phone. Not sure if I told you, I actually met Matt McPherson at SHOT show about sixteen seventeen years ago. I wasn't at SHOT to discuss guitars of course, but that's what we did, and it was clear the man was passionate about building the best premium guitars he could, with little concern if they sold or not. (one of the nice things about not having to worry about money) Let us know when you get it, and what you think.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Thanks, Ted, will do! Looking forward to it.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 07-11-2017, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to hear from you. Sable is on my future purchase list.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 PM

Got the Sable in today. This guitar is a beast! Deep lows and crystalline highs. It is also a very solid guitar. Not super lightweight like the Rainsongs, but about the weight of a comparable wood acoustic. I'm not too concerned about the weight of it, I play sitting down most of the time. Thanks again to Ted and Helene. Loving it so far!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Cool, they do sound great. I play sitting down too so the weight is not an issue for me as well.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Congrats!! Very beautiful. Knowing that Ellis Seal was involved in making and designing these guitars it's no wonder that they are so incredible. Maybe there will be one in my future.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful! Sounds like a nice addition to the house...
Old 07-29-2017, 04:03 AM

Nice! I played the touring model, and it was my favorite CF I've played yet... based on how good that one sounded I'm guessing that Sable sounds amazing... Congrats!
Old 07-29-2017, 05:02 AM

Congratulations on your new Sable!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM

Very clean design and details. Looks nice!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishanthem View Post
Congrats!! Very beautiful. Knowing that Ellis Seal was involved in making and designing these guitars it's no wonder that they are so incredible.
I agree. Likely, I won't own one though. I have more interest in too many others at this point. I'm glad they got rid of the Kevin Michael moniker.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Not having been able to play one of these Sable guitars (or the Touring for that matter), I can't speak of them. Having said that, based on the available audiophiles on the internet alone I think this is the best sounding carbon fiber guitar I've heard. So good in fact that I would consider purchasing regardless of the fact I'm not sold on them aesthetically.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 AM

I agree, it sounds as close to a wood guitar as any CF guitar I have played. I would encourage anyone interested in these to watch the video linked below, which is a comparison between a wood McPherson and the Sable. Close your eyes and listen (without bias) as he switches back and forth.

https://youtu.be/LtlQ1-kBVus

The Sable may not have quite the tonal complexity of the wood McPherson or other fine wood guitars, but the bulletproof nature of it and the great tone and playability of it make it a superb choice for someone who plays out and doesn't want to stress out about either the stability or fragility of nice wood guitars.

1998 Very Sweet Wife

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber