The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Giannini AWN 31

See subject. I think one member owns one. Were they laminate, or real rosewood? Thinking of picking one up dirt cheap ($30.00)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Hi Everton! I"m guessing that you're brazilian, by your name. Also, this model you're referring to is a brazilian guitar.

I seriously doubt this guitar is made from real rosewood (jacarandá). Giannini's guitars, in my opinion, are far inferior to other brazilian makers like Di Giorgio and Rozini.

Though I'm not saying it's a bad guitar and especially the bargain it is... I'd take it and judge for yourself.

Anyway, still guessing you're brazilian, here's some info I've found in Giannini's catalog, in Portuguese:

AWN 31 - Seresta II: tamanho grande, tampo de madeira selecionada, paleta entalhada, faixas e fundo de imbuia.

Good luck and hope it helps!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Hi Everton! I"m guessing that you're brazilian, by your name. Also, this model you're referring to is a brazilian guitar.
Everton FC is probably a reference to Everton, Football Club, out of Liverpool. But there's no reason it can't be both!

I agree these aren't high end guitars. You may be able to figure out for yourself if the top is solid wood, but the back and sides almost certainly aren't. For $30, if there's no obvious damage and if the action/scale are both manageable, don't see why this couldn't be a perfectly good starter classical. If the scale is way off (and it's not just the strings) or if there's any damage at all, probably not worth even $30.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
Everton FC is probably a reference to Everton, Football Club, out of Liverpool. But there's no reason it can't be both!

I agree these aren't high end guitars. You may be able to figure out for yourself if the top is solid wood, but the back and sides almost certainly aren't. For $30, if there's no obvious damage and if the action/scale are both manageable, don't see why this couldn't be a perfectly good starter classical. If the scale is way off (and it's not just the strings) or if there's any damage at all, probably not worth even $30.
First, Irish-American now in Canada. Not Brazilian! Username is in honoue of "The People's Club"! I didn't purchase, though it's still available. I had a different model from the 60's given to me when I was in high school. I recorded w/it (not a professional recording - old TASCAM 4-track) and it sounded okay. But it is long gone. Thanks for the replies....

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a couple of Gianninis, they are generally laminate, I researched that particular model way back, and I believe the 60 as well. They can sound great with a bone saddle and a good setup and the right strings. Necks can be a little slender and deep. I personally would never pass up a playable $30 guitar! I clean them up, set them up, and sell for a profit or give away.

Last edited by TKT; 06-29-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
giannini awn 31