The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 AM

Default Intonaton problem on one string

I have a Tanglewood Roadster series acoustic guitar which I believe is serving me well as I am a novice player. All seemed well as I have been playing the usual beginners chords that are all playable within the first 3 or 4 frets on the guitar. Now I am trying barre chords above the 6th fret, it sounds 'off'. I have tried checking the 12 fret harmonic to 12 fretted notes with a tuner and all appears well apart from the D string plays sharp in the 12 fret compared to it's harmonic. The saddle isn't adjustable so can anyone tell me how to get the tuning a little better. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM

Having just one string off by a significant amount suggests string trouble rather then something with the guitar.
Tom
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 AM

As Tom suggested, the first course of action is probably to replace the D string or, if they need it, all of the strings. If that doesn't fix it, "we can talk".
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Thanks chaps. Will get a new set of strings next time i'm in the guitar shop.
And will notify the board of the outcome.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 AM

If it isn't the string then it's a case of getting a custom made saddle that takes cognisance of the 12th fret notes. But as has been said, it's mighty strange that the D string (alone) is off. Would suggest that the string is inconsistently wound.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 AM

In addition to changing the strings. You might want to put a capo on the 2nd fret, tune it up, then check with an accurate tuner to see if the intonation is good on the 14th fret. You could of course do individual strings without the capo... fret 2nd then fret 14th. This would eliminate the nut as a possible source of the problem. We are really talking about setup items. You should just probably take the guitar to a good tech and have him do a setup on it.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
In addition to changing the strings. You might want to put a capo on the 2nd fret, tune it up, then check with an accurate tuner to see if the intonation is good on the 14th fret. You could of course do individual strings without the capo... fret 2nd then fret 14th. This would eliminate the nut as a possible source of the problem.
No way that the nut will cause an intonation problem high up the neck. At the first few frets, yes.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
No way that the nut will cause an intonation problem high up the neck. At the first few frets, yes.
I've had it happen. If the position the string breaks over the nut is wrong, it can lengthen the overall vibrating string length, which can affect intonation.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've had it happen. If the position the string breaks over the nut is wrong, it can lengthen the overall vibrating string length, which can affect intonation.
Well, I mean, assuming the nut is straight along its length and the slots are cut correctly. But yeah, if that criteria wasn't met - and it would be a pretty badly cut nut to be so! - then the intonation would be out, but again, more so at the head end than at the 12th fret. This guy is saying that the intonation is out up the fretboard, not on the cowboy chords. It doesn't point to a nut issue.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-25-2012, 01:12 PM

It's all getting a bit technical for me. So by placing capo on the second fret and then checking intonation at the 14th fret..if there is no discrepancy in the intonation at the 14th fret compared to capo off/intonation sharp at the 12th fret for the D string...then possible nut problem!

It looks like I might just try to find a luthier in York, England to have a look.
However...I only play for personal pleasure..and the current intonation issue can probably be overlooked.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
It's all getting a bit technical for me. So by placing capo on the second fret and then checking intonation at the 14th fret..if there is no discrepancy in the intonation at the 14th fret compared to capo off/intonation sharp at the 12th fret for the D string...then possible nut problem!

It looks like I might just try to find a luthier in York, England to have a look.
However...I only play for personal pleasure..and the current intonation issue can probably be overlooked.
Just change the D string! a two minute job!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Will just change the string...if issue is worse after change then will seek a luthier....if issue rectified...then obviously I will be very happy...if no change then I will just stick something (matchstick) under the D string tight up to the nut so as to reduce the length of the string from the nut end rather than from the saddle. Horses for courses.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
.if no change then I will just stick something (matchstick) under the D string tight up to the nut so as to reduce the length of the string from the nut end rather than from the saddle. Horses for courses.
If the nut isn't the problem, that will make matters worse. Don't "fix" one issue by using the solution to another problem as the remedy. You'll just create an additional problem.

It's very simple, not very technical. Just follow the steps. Start by changing the string. If the string isn't the problem, it can be eliminated as the issue. That is the purpose for changing the string.

If you've proven that doesn't resolve the problem, we'll talk about the next step. It's a simple process of elimination, starting with the simple and obvious things first. Don't get side-tracked, stay focused. If you stay focused, it's pretty simple, really.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM

String replaced.....and the tuning seems much better! Thanks all.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
String replaced.....and the tuning seems much better! Thanks all.
Great news, well done, a result - and the expected one too.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair