The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Goya (Martin era, I think) mandolin help

Hello!
I picked up a Goya oval hole mandolin at the music store where I work, very inexpensively. I am a guitar and ukulele player, but since we sell mandolins there I wanted to be better versed in them, not to mention have some fun exploring them. A lot of used (and new) mandolins come through our hands. I picked up this Goya because it was cheap, sounds amazingly good and is in excellent condition--a perfect learner! There is no label in it, but from what I can tell it is most likely a GM-23 from the Martin era (identical in appearance to one previously listed on Elderly). So that would mean 1970's I believe. Pre-Martin Goyas are supposed to be better, but believe me this one sounds terrific--to my ears as good as models costing a lot more.

Here's my question: is the top solid or laminate? Logically I would say that at its original and current price point it would have to be laminate (and this is what the old Elderly listing says). But the sound says otherwise! Another site selling one of these (can't find the site anymore) stated solid woods. Elderly, of course, has a good reputation, but I want to be sure and my mando could be different, I suppose. Since the soundhole has a binding, I can't inspect the edge of the top wood.

The reason it is important for me to know: I would rather not humidify this. I keep my solid instruments in a humidified cabinet and there simply is no more room! This is just a learning instrument for me and I would like to leave it out to pick up readily. Living in the southwest I can't do that if it is solid.

So, hoping for the ironically happy confirmation that this is indeed all laminate body! Thanks.

Last edited by thewallylama; 10-10-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 AM

You are in the best position to determine that. Get a small parts mirror and do some detective work. If you study it carefully you should be able to see if the inside matches the outside.

Personally if the price was right I would just enjoy it left out and not think much about it otherwise.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
You are in the best position to determine that. Get a small parts mirror and do some detective work. If you study it carefully you should be able to see if the inside matches the outside.

Personally if the price was right I would just enjoy it left out and not think much about it otherwise.
Thanks--there is a very tight, consistent and subtle (hard to see) grain pattern on top so there are no distinguishing variations to match with the underneath; the underside is similar, but with the stain and finish on this one the top and underside are not so easy to compare! My sense IS that is laminate, but the nice sound gives me second doubts! I'm hoping that someone has some experience with this model and perhaps seen the specs; I suspect it will be hard to determine from a visual inspection.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewallylama View Post
Thanks--there is a very tight, consistent and subtle (hard to see) grain pattern on top so there are no distinguishing variations to match with the underneath; the underside is similar, but with the stain and finish on this one the top and underside are not so easy to compare! My sense IS that is laminate, but the nice sound gives me second doubts! I'm hoping that someone has some experience with this model and perhaps seen the specs; I suspect it will be hard to determine from a visual inspection.
If the top is laminate, you would see that at the soundhole. If you remove the tailpiece, you may be able to see lamination in the sides. Very possible it is all solid as that is more typical in less expensive mandolins of the era than guitars.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Old 10-10-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
??? I have no idea what this is intended to mean--sorry.

To repeat what I said in the post, because the soundhole is bound, I cannot see a crosscut of woodgrain to determine solid vs laminate. Also, the top binding goes all the way around so removing the tailpiece wouldn't help me, but thank you for the suggestion.

I work in a good acoustic shop and am familiar with visual assessment to determine solid vs laminate. So unless you have some innovative technique I don't know of I think I've got that covered (but thanks again for well intentioned suggestions)! Just looking for actual historical specs if anyone has them.

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:01 PM

I'm sorry. I just deleted my post. I realized I was just repeating what you had already said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments