The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
OK, Guitar344, I have to ask. Why are you tuning your strings up well beyond their intended tension? That isn't very healthy for you, for the instrument, or for the strings. And when doing so, why is it surprising that they break? Am I missing something here?

PS: I did a search on your posts, and you were doing tightening guitar strings to the breaking point back in early August. Hmmmm. No disrespect intended, but you don't get to string or tune any of my instruments. I prefer that they remain intact without bridges pulled off or broken braces.
Because I had strings break after going up a half step. I want to see how many notes the strings can tune past their intended tension. I'm figuring how to do it mathematically.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
Because I had strings break after going up a half step. I want to see how many notes the strings can tune past their intended tension. I'm figuring how to do it mathematically.
Just don't try it with a bass. No, really.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
No, he should. Really. Film at 11!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
The G (3rd) string on a six-er is the tightest string, with the thinnest core. If you are going to break one going too high, that is the most likely. The comparatively tiny 0.009" octave strings in a 12-string set are also vulnerable and break often of you go past concert pitch for them.

I play in several altered tunings. Most strings are slackened from normal pitch (hence the term Hawaiian "slack-key"). But some tunings tighten certain strings up too. In the blues world, open E tuning (open D plus one step) and open A tuning (open G plus one step) are done commonly. Working through these tunings, I think that at one time or another all six strings get tuned up a whole step from normal. I also accidentally go past pitch sometimes when tuning up new strings for the first time. You should be good at a whole step up and even 1½ steps on some strings, but beyond that you are definitely testing the tensile strength of the string. And testing the glue joint on your guitar bridge.

As for doing it mathematically, I am a mechanical engineer and see where you are coming from. But to be perfectly candid, unless you are doing a project for a class, my gently offered opinion is that you are seriously over-thinking this issue.

Hope this has been a useful discussion.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
And especially don't try this with a piano. There are many TONS of total tension on piano strings, and the harp can explode with fatal consequences. (Was just chatting with my piano tuner yesterday).
Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
No, he should. Really. Film at 11!
Maybe you're right! I'd pay-per-view to see that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments