The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Thinking about changing my National Delphis cone...

I have a first year made Delphi.
I have read they didnt have the Hot Rod cones then.
So I'm thinking of switching to one.

I can't imagine my Delphi sounding better. Would the HR cone make that much difference per the stock cone?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 09:30 PM

There is a noticeable weight difference between the cones used prior to the HR cones. The HR cones are made of a lighter aluminum alloy, and to my ears sound both louder and fuller, and much much closer to the sound of a 30s National cone (but still not quite right).
Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 PM

Anyone else?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Guest 4320

Hey there Eat a Peach...
I second Conehead's comment, they are lighter gauge & fuller sounding, I love the way mine sounds in the Estralita... just seems like more meat on the bone tone & sustain wise...
but...
You mention that you can't imagine the Delphi sounding better, so you may or may not like the change if you're already satisfied with your tone, plus your present cone has been broken in...
You will need to file new biscuit as the newer cones are about 1mm lower than the previous one...
If you don't like it, you can always switch it right back and sell me the cone
Good luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:19 PM

I really do love the sound of my Delphi. And hadnt thought of the break in side of things.
But I have always heard the difference between it and the 30's Duolians, and love that tinny, almost more 'elastic' sound.
Probably wouldnt get that with the Delphi as its a thicker body etc...

I suppose the reasonable thing to do , would be to hold out for a vintage National Duolian 😉
Someday soon I hope.
Until then, I'll play that Delphi as is.

Thanks for the perspective
Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 PM

I've played a lot of Nationals pre and post hot rod. I'm not a fan of the single cone change. Nothing is guaranteed, but there seems to be less bass to my ear. They don't sound bad. Far from it. Some of them really ring like a bell, but bass is often a challenge for a national. I don't like to give any up.

On the other hand, most tricones I've heard have benefited.

As to the vintage duolian vs. yours, think long and hard before coveting one. They generally don't play as well. Intonation is iffy from guitar to guitar. Having an adjustable truss rod is also a great thing.

Try some of the thinner body new ones before you really start coveting a vintage. The only vintage one I own is a square neck. None of the challenges of the vintage roundnecks.

Not saying the vintage roundnecks are not worth owning. They are pieces of history. But I'd personally rather play a modern any day.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I've played a lot of Nationals pre and post hot rod. I'm not a fan of the single cone change. Nothing is guaranteed, but there seems to be less bass to my ear. They don't sound bad. Far from it. Some of them really ring like a bell, but bass is often a challenge for a national. I don't like to give any up.

On the other hand, most tricones I've heard have benefited.

As to the vintage duolian vs. yours, think long and hard before coveting one. They generally don't play as well. Intonation is iffy from guitar to guitar. Having an adjustable truss rod is also a great thing.

Try some of the thinner body new ones before you really start coveting a vintage. The only vintage one I own is a square neck. None of the challenges of the vintage roundnecks.

Not saying the vintage roundnecks are not worth owning. They are pieces of history. But I'd personally rather play a modern any day.

Thank you for the input. Great points/info

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments