The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Default Bc Rich acoustic guitar

I recently aquired a BC rico acoustic guitar,( a dread)
I remember them from the eightys, and from what I understand this guitar was made in Japan,
It is in good cond and it needs strings, case, cleaning.
Can anyone tell me more about this guitar and what it would be
worth?( I paid half a Benjamin for it)

By the way, it is spruce and I believe Madagascar rosewood as the rosewood looks different from my Martin dread.
Dave
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM

It might be Brazilian Rosewood and made in El Monte California

I played a used one at GC in the 90s
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM

Daveyo, it's probably not Brazilian rosewood if it was built in the 1980's, particularly not if it was built in Japan. I doubt it was Madagascar rosewood, either, for that matter, because nobody was using Madagascar rosewood for guitars much back then.

I don't have this on any unimpeachable authority, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that those import BC Rich acoustic guitars were built for them at the Morris guitar factory in Japan. I've actually been by that factory, though not in it, and it's a good-sized facility in the foothills of the Japanese Alps in Nagano Prefecture in central Honshu.

If this guitar was built by Morris, there's a good chance that the back and sides were made from ovangkol. A friend of mine has a Morris-built Washburn Timber Ridge model made from ovangkol, and it's a nice guitar. And Morris did use a lot of ovangkol back then.

Generally speaking, the Morris-built acoustic guitars from that era are of pretty good quality. Many of them were built with all solid woods, which is good, but most that I've played I would characterize as being a bit over-built, at least by modern standards.

The upside of this is that they're sturdy and not prone to falling apart or developing weird buzzes and rattles or having braces pop loose or anything. The downside is that they can be fairly quiet and muted when compared side by side with more lightly built guitars.

As for value, I couldn't tell you, though it's not a huge amount. Well under a thousand dollars, probably less than half that. But if you only paid fifty bucks for it, you got a steal. For that price it's a superb guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the info Wade, I really do think its not ovankol, its just that the wood looks very different from my Martin,the pattern if you will is stripped with dark wood really nice.Maybe I can download a pic
You are right, the guitar is very solid
and I can see that the back and sides are solid wood.
I will clean it up and see how it sounds,new strings should make it sound
better,
I still figuered I got a good deal.
thanks again
Dave
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 AM

I believe BC Rich made different levels of guitars back then - I wouldnt be surprised if it was a nice Solid high end wood B&S --Sounds like a really nice guitar-- upload some pics when you get a chance--Ive heard some of those have really nice sound--
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Took some pics this morning, cant seem to download,
bummere, I will keep trying
Dave
Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Dave,

You have to post the pics to a website like Photobucket, then paste the link in to get pics to show up here. There's a faq somewhere that explains the process, but once you get a Photobucket account set-up (it's free) and download your pics to that site, it's pretty easy to cut and paste links to post pics or links to your pics on Photobucket for folks to follow.

Luck with the BC Rich, I have seen some very nice dreads from his early years - many Braz, and highly ornamented. Really nice.
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Took some pics this morning, cant seem to download,
bummere, I will keep trying
Dave
Go to tinypic.com (no need for an account), then upload each photo, and copy/paste the 'forum link' that the image produces (ie, [img]tinypic/3579hy[/ img]) and post it here.

Would love to see this guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion