The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM

Default Pick up systems and Jumbos

Today was a NGD for me, this time a 1976 Takamine F365 copy of a Guild. This is my first jumbo and I strung it up with a fresh set of John Pearse 80/20 BW 11-53's. I was immediately struck by the difference in tone as compared to my dreds and quite frankly any dred I've ever played. There was a quality that I can only describe as a chorus-like effect that the guitar produces. That might not be a good description but there seemed to be an extra layer to the sound. (that also is probably not a very good description)

Anyway, I would like to add electronics to it but am curious if certain systems might be better than others in reproducing this interesting tone. Since it appears to be a direct result of the body size/shape? , would an internal microphone type system have an advantage over an USD here?

I've always passed on jumbos as quite frankly I found their size and shape just odd.............big mistake.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 PM

Probably the best way to amplify the complexities is to use a dual source system like a K&K Trinity or DTAR dual source. I think you have to have a mic in the mix, which you could also do with an external.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 AM

Id first try the Seymour Duncan SA3XL Humbucker sound hole pickup with adj pole pieces. a lot less expensive and sounded great on you tubes. about $50 . Some very expensive internal pickups can be a disappointing project sometimes. been there ..cause they may work well on one guitar, may not on another ...I use a small piece of duct tape to hold the wire down to the pick guard , and strain relief, can always be tried of other guitars ... I Do not do Any Permanent pickup installs .. had too many problems with them ..

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 01-29-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

+1 dual source system that allows you to blend the signals.

I have a Fishman Neo-D Humbucking installed in my '69 Standel jumbo. I like it fine being a big Fishman fan, but a dual source approach takes it to another level IMO.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 01-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Not the first time this week I've heard that sound description when Pearse 80/20s are involved. Gonna have to give those a go on my dread soon.

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 01-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
…Anyway, I would like to add electronics to it but am curious if certain systems might be better than others in reproducing this interesting tone.
Hi Tomm…

I play a Mini-Jumbo (same shape and proportion, similar tone to a full-jumbo, less than an inch less wide on the lower bout), and I have a K&K Pure Mini and internal mic which work very well with it to capture the tonal variation twixt that and my Dreadnought (which has an identical pickup rig in it).

The K&K Pure Mini pickups by themselves (without internal mics) certainly do capture the tonal flavor of guitars, as well as the attack, and sustain aspects of the pickup. In other words, different guitars with K&K Pure Minis sound like different guitars through the same amp or PA system.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-29-2015, 04:38 PM

For a non invasive, natural sounding p/u try the K&K, LR Baggs Lyric or Trance Audio Amulet. The Lyric is adjustable in the mids/highs and uses a volume control attached to the edge of the soundhole. It is probably the least prone to feedback so if you are playing at higher volumes this might be the best option. All 3 give a great sound though.

I am wondering about your Pearse strings and using an 11 on your high E string and I'm guessing a 15 on the B? Seems awfully light especially for a jumbo - that's a lot of surface area to excite with such light strings....

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
For a non invasive, natural sounding p/u try the K&K, LR Baggs Lyric or Trance Audio Amulet. The Lyric is adjustable in the mids/highs and uses a volume control attached to the edge of the soundhole. It is probably the least prone to feedback so if you are playing at higher volumes this might be the best option. All 3 give a great sound though.

I am wondering about your Pearse strings and using an 11 on your high E string and I'm guessing a 15 on the B? Seems awfully light especially for a jumbo - that's a lot of surface area to excite with such light strings....
I'm primarily an electric player with 9-42's so those 11's seem like towing cable to my fingers. Maybe someday I'll move up but not right now.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 PM

Other quality dual-source systems to consider:

Fishman Rare Earth Blend, which combines a narrow, stacked humbucking soundhole pickup with a condenser mic attached to an internal gooseneck. The REB is great for gigging (especially when playing with a band), since you can absolutely count on being able to tame any feedback that arises by sending more signal to the pickup. Quite accurate in approximating an acceptable "my-guitar-but-louder" sound.
http://www.fishman.com/product/rare-earth-blend

L.R. Baggs Anthem, which combines an undersaddle pickup with an internal pressure zone mic, which is anchored to the inside of the back. Warm and lovely sounding.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/anthe...and-microphone

Also, since you have a jumbo, which aren't bass shy, the single source Baggs Lyric mic (a tweaked version of the Anthem's mic) may be a very good fit.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/lyric...tar-microphone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification