The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 AM

So my next question is... do i really need an amp with my Fishman Aura Spectrum or could an active speaker be sufficient???
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Yes, you can do an active PA type system. I have had great experiences with the QSC K8 and K10. The K10 would be my first choice since it allows for use as a monitor or for a main speaker and has dual inputs for voice and guitar. It has a fantastic neutral tone. Your Aura can be your EQ and control system.

There are many other PA active speakers out there which deserve a listen. Your ear will tell you which one you like. I would not go off-brand too far. Brands like Yamaha, QSC, Mackie have great customer support. I am sure others will chime in with their experience on these brands and others.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
Yes, you can do an active PA type system. I have had great experiences with the QSC K8 and K10. The K10 would be my first choice since it allows for use as a monitor or for a main speaker and has dual inputs for voice and guitar. It has a fantastic neutral tone. Your Aura can be your EQ and control system.

There are many other PA active speakers out there which deserve a listen. Your ear will tell you which one you like. I would not go off-brand too far. Brands like Yamaha, QSC, Mackie have great customer support. I am sure others will chime in with their experience on these brands and others.

Brad
Thanks for your tips Brad, ok .. i'll take my fishman aura to a local shop and will try it with some active PA systems.. but... i got another doubt.. should i use a mic preamp for the vocal input ??
Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
So my next question is... do i really need an amp with my Fishman Aura Spectrum or could an active speaker be sufficient???
It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The advantage of the "acoustic" combo amps out there is that they combine all the elements of a basic sound reinforcement system in one box. Preamp, mixer if they have more than one input channel, EQ, effects, power amp and speaker. The disadvantage is that most of them don't have the kind of speaker that will project sound out into a larger room very well or very evenly, and this is why most of them have one or another way of connecting to some kind of extension speaker or PA speaker or PA system (line out, speaker out, DI out). So they're fine or even terrific for small, relatively quiet gig situations, but not for anything bigger than that, although they can make very good personal monitors as part of a larger system.

A single powered PA speaker is actually very similar, except that depending on which one you buy, they have much more limited input sections. Often no mixer, effects, or EQ, or some very limited versions of these. Some will only take a line-level signal, although many now-a-days will except a mic input directly. But you have no way of adjusting your sound beyond the volume. They are also designed to project sound out into a space, so they don't always sound as good at lower volumes in more intimate settings as the better combo amps do (but of course it depends). A single powered PA speaker and a small mixer makes for a great small PA system that will cover a wide range of solo gigs and can be easily expanded just by the addition of more of the same speaker (a second one for the house and another--or a combo amp--as a monitor). A Spectrum DI into a single speaker will work well, but it will only let you adjust the sound of your guitar and you will have to use a speaker with a second input for your voice--and you will have no way of adjusting the sound of your voice (no EQ and no effects, if you like a little reverb or delay on your voice as most singers do, especially in rooms that are naturally very dry). An interesting exception to this limitation are the Line 6 StageSource speakers. One L2t offers a solo performer everything most combo amps offer with the ability to project sound of a very good PA speaker. And they are modular, and can become the basic elements of an admirably expandable and digitally controllable system.

Units like the Fishman SA220 or the Bose systems are a kind of compromise between the regular combo amp idea and a small PA. They are less easily expandable than a small PA, but they can more easily cover more kinds of gigs than a small combo amp, and as long as the volume you need isn't very high, you can play right in front of them and you don't need a monitor. Some of the newer compact sub and top systems that are coming out now (the RCF EVOX, for example) are very interesting, although they're not cheap. One unit consisting of a compact sub and a small top speaker will work as a solo PA, but you can add another to create a full PA system. And they're designed to be easily portable.

That's about the long and the short of it. If I had to offer advice to someone just beginning the game of performing small acoustic shows, I'd recommend getting a good small to medium sized combo amp like the Fishman Loudbox Artist or the Ultrasound DS-4. Units like these will cover you for most of the kinds of gigs you're going to be getting for a while, and if you start to get bigger gigs and need the flexibility and expandability of a small PA, you can invest in a powered speaker or two and a small mixer. And the amp will still be useful to you for practice and as a stage monitor.

Beyond that, it's all about practice and hustle.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 01-28-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your tips Brad, ok .. i'll take my fishman aura to a local shop and will try it with some active PA systems.. but... i got another doubt.. should i use a mic preamp for the vocal input ??
A small 4 or 6 channel mixer would solve that issue and give you the ability to adjust the guitar and vocals separately.

Louis's response to your question before this one about just using a PA speaker has some great advice and information.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 AM

I'll add that if you do go the powered PA speaker and small mixer route, the ZED10FX, a small mixer from Allen and Heath, has become a kind of standard, go to item for this kind of application. Very nice little piece of equipment and not particularly expensive. One of those and a Yamaha DXR10 or for less a DBR10 and you're set for a lot of gigs with some useful expandability. And the ZED and a DBR10 will only set you back about $650! But as Brad said, go listen to a bunch of speakers (and amps, too) and get the one you like best in your budget.

And don't forget a decent vocal mic, sturdy cables (and spares). Plus a sturdy mic stand with a boom and a solid speaker stand, if you go the PA speaker route.

Louis
Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
.tom the übergeek

If it is just you and your guitar, the Bose L1 Compact is hard to beat. It sounds great, is easy to use and just plain works. There are few knobs to screw up.

I have one and have used it out a few times. I have a friend who gigs several times per weekend, he uses his for everything from small restaurants to outdoor winery gigs. It covers 90% of the stuff he does.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The advantage of the "acoustic" combo amps out there is that they combine all the elements of a basic sound reinforcement system in one box. Preamp, mixer if they have more than one input channel, EQ, effects, power amp and speaker. The disadvantage is that most of them don't have the kind of speaker that will project sound out into a larger room very well or very evenly, and this is why most of them have one or another way of connecting to some kind of extension speaker or PA speaker or PA system (line out, speaker out, DI out). So they're fine or even terrific for small, relatively quiet gig situations, but not for anything bigger than that, although they can make very good personal monitors as part of a larger system.

A single powered PA speaker is actually very similar, except that depending on which one you buy, they have much more limited input sections. Often no mixer, effects, or EQ, or some very limited versions of these. Some will only take a line-level signal, although many now-a-days will except a mic input directly. But you have no way of adjusting your sound beyond the volume. They are also designed to project sound out into a space, so they don't always sound as good at lower volumes in more intimate settings as the better combo amps do (but of course it depends). A single powered PA speaker and a small mixer makes for a great small PA system that will cover a wide range of solo gigs and can be easily expanded just by the addition of more of the same speaker (a second one for the house and another--or a combo amp--as a monitor). A Spectrum DI into a single speaker will work well, but it will only let you adjust the sound of your guitar and you will have to use a speaker with a second input for your voice--and you will have no way of adjusting the sound of your voice (no EQ and no effects, if you like a little reverb or delay on your voice as most singers do, especially in rooms that are naturally very dry). An interesting exception to this limitation are the Line 6 StageSource speakers. One L2t offers a solo performer everything most combo amps offer with the ability to project sound of a very good PA speaker. And they are modular, and can become the basic elements of an admirably expandable and digitally controllable system.

Units like the Fishman SA220 or the Bose systems are a kind of compromise between the regular combo amp idea and a small PA. They are less easily expandable than a small PA, but they can more easily cover more kinds of gigs than a small combo amp, and as long as the volume you need isn't very high, you can play right in front of them and you don't need a monitor. Some of the newer compact sub and top systems that are coming out now (the RCF EVOX, for example) are very interesting, although they're not cheap. One unit consisting of a compact sup and a small top speaker will work as a solo PA, but you can add another to create a full PA system. And they're designed to beastly portable.

That's about the long and the short of it. If I had to offer advice to someone just beginning the game of performing small acoustic shows, I'd recommend getting a good small to medium sized combo amp like the Fishman Loudbox Artist or the Ultrasound DS-4. Units like these will cover you for most of the kinds of gigs you're going to be getting for a while, and if you start to get bigger gigs and need the flexibility and expandability of a small PA, you can invest in a powered speaker or two and a small mixer. And the amp will still be useful to you for practice and as a stage monitor.

Beyond that, it's all about practice and hustle.

Louis
Thanks Louis, great info here... i'm starting to understand a lot more about this stuff..
Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 PM

And thanks everybody.... i'll keep you posted about the progress. Other tips are still welcome. God bless the day i subscribed to this forum, it contains TONS of useful info. I hope i can contribute myself effectively one day! I'm still on the newbie side although growing fast! Have a nice day!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks Louis, great info here... i'm starting to understand a lot more about this stuff..
You're welcome! Good luck and report back!

by the way the last two sentences in the second to last paragraph of my post should read, "One unit consisting of a compact sub and a small top speaker will work as a solo PA, but you can add another to create a full PA system. And they're designed to be easily portable." Sorry for the confusing typos!

L.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I have two of the sweetest amplification units for acoustic guitar and voice that I have ever had the pleasure of playing through in my 45+ years of performing...

First, I bought a slightly used Bose L1 system with one B1 cabinet (their subwoofer). Mine is one of the earlier models, the Classic... by itself, it has 2 mic/line inputs with 75 or 80 preset "tone match" settings, as well as several that are just "flat" - meaning that what you put in is what you get... plus it has a little remote with basic eq/tone and volume settings...

Using the preset for my vocal microphone (Shure Beta 58A), my voice is as close to "studio quality" sounding as it is when doing serious recording work... just lovely sound. For my acoustic guitar (I use the Baggs Anthem SL system for a pickup), I use the "flat w/ low pass filter at 80 hz" setting, and adjust the eq from there...

The entire rig breaks down into two 12# speaker columns, 24#s for the B1 and 32#s for the base unit with the power amp and preamps... each section has a nice, sturdy nylon duracord bag... even for a guy who's 63 with some "low back drama", it is eminently carry-able. I also have the Bose T1 Tone Generator/Mixer when I need more than two inputs (although the base unit has an additional 2 line level inputs w/ gain controls). The T1 is FAR more than "just" a little mixer. The deeper into it I dig, the more amazing features I find!

The sound from the Bose is extraordinary in it's capacity for dispersing the sound; I can play at performing levels, and I can hear myself perfectly, as can folks from 50' away, with very little drop-off in volume or tone, while at the same time, a couple at a table 15' in front of me can carry on a conversation without having to yell at each other. It really is phenomenal, and I urge you to go and check one of these units out thoroughly...

I also have an AER Compact 60/2, which I bought used for $600. At 12#s, it is an AMAZING little two channel acoustic amp. Do NOT be daunted by the fact that it only has one 8" speaker and only 60 watts; I have played a HUGE room with it, both singing and playing guitar through it, for upwards of 50 people, and that little amp not only "cut it" but it sounded stellar throughout the room!

AER gear has a very good reputation for being reliable and solid; yes, it's pricey, but the entire rig just screams "QUALITY", both in function and sound. I have to work a bit with my guitar sound to get what I want, but the vocal setting is straightforward and easy.

Either of these will serve you well for many gigs; both are costly, but I have learned through the years, to spend my money ONCE for something really good, instead of trying to go "on the cheap" and save a few bucks now, only to be hammered by problems and shortcomings later down the road.

Of course, you will need a good microphone; as someone suggested, Shure SM-58's are nearly bulletproof and sound good... I opted for the next level up with the Beta 58A, and have been very pleased with it. Whatever mic you get, you want something that both sounds good and has good feedback rejection...

Add a good mic cord and a couple good guitar cords, a guitar stand, and you're good to go! Again, get good quality cords with good plugs... no point in having a great sound system if the signal you give it is compromised in any way.

As for the Aura? I have heard great things about them when used with a piezo UST (under saddle transducer), although I have never used one. Some folks have a problem with it, but most seem to like it a lot.

Good luck! Lots of choices and the ones I cited are my favorites, though certainly not the only options available... think about how much you want to schlep around with you, how much you want to get into the whole patching things together aspect, and that should help you decide.

Above all else, PLAY THROUGH THE GEAR BEFORE YOU BUY IT! I can't stress this enough... I KNOW what I'm talking about and what I hear from my stuff, but don't take anyone's word for a multi-thousand dollar purchase... do your homework and get what YOU want...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have two of the sweetest amplification units for acoustic guitar and voice that I have ever had the pleasure of playing through in my 45+ years of performing...

First, I bought a slightly used Bose L1 system with one B1 cabinet (their subwoofer). Mine is one of the earlier models, the Classic... by itself, it has 2 mic/line inputs with 75 or 80 preset "tone match" settings, as well as several that are just "flat" - meaning that what you put in is what you get... plus it has a little remote with basic eq/tone and volume settings...

Using the preset for my vocal microphone (Shure Beta 58A), my voice is as close to "studio quality" sounding as it is when doing serious recording work... just lovely sound. For my acoustic guitar (I use the Baggs Anthem SL system for a pickup), I use the "flat w/ low pass filter at 80 hz" setting, and adjust the eq from there...

The entire rig breaks down into two 12# speaker columns, 24#s for the B1 and 32#s for the base unit with the power amp and preamps... each section has a nice, sturdy nylon duracord bag... even for a guy who's 63 with some "low back drama", it is eminently carry-able. I also have the Bose T1 Tone Generator/Mixer when I need more than two inputs (although the base unit has an additional 2 line level inputs w/ gain controls). The T1 is FAR more than "just" a little mixer. The deeper into it I dig, the more amazing features I find!

The sound from the Bose is extraordinary in it's capacity for dispersing the sound; I can play at performing levels, and I can hear myself perfectly, as can folks from 50' away, with very little drop-off in volume or tone, while at the same time, a couple at a table 15' in front of me can carry on a conversation without having to yell at each other. It really is phenomenal, and I urge you to go and check one of these units out thoroughly...

I also have an AER Compact 60/2, which I bought used for $600. At 12#s, it is an AMAZING little two channel acoustic amp. Do NOT be daunted by the fact that it only has one 8" speaker and only 60 watts; I have played a HUGE room with it, both singing and playing guitar through it, for upwards of 50 people, and that little amp not only "cut it" but it sounded stellar throughout the room!

AER gear has a very good reputation for being reliable and solid; yes, it's pricey, but the entire rig just screams "QUALITY", both in function and sound. I have to work a bit with my guitar sound to get what I want, but the vocal setting is straightforward and easy.

Either of these will serve you well for many gigs; both are costly, but I have learned through the years, to spend my money ONCE for something really good, instead of trying to go "on the cheap" and save a few bucks now, only to be hammered by problems and shortcomings later down the road.

Of course, you will need a good microphone; as someone suggested, Shure SM-58's are nearly bulletproof and sound good... I opted for the next level up with the Beta 58A, and have been very pleased with it. Whatever mic you get, you want something that both sounds good and has good feedback rejection...

Add a good mic cord and a couple good guitar cords, a guitar stand, and you're good to go! Again, get good quality cords with good plugs... no point in having a great sound system if the signal you give it is compromised in any way.

As for the Aura? I have heard great things about them when used with a piezo UST (under saddle transducer), although I have never used one. Some folks have a problem with it, but most seem to like it a lot.

Good luck! Lots of choices and the ones I cited are my favorites, though certainly not the only options available... think about how much you want to schlep around with you, how much you want to get into the whole patching things together aspect, and that should help you decide.

Above all else, PLAY THROUGH THE GEAR BEFORE YOU BUY IT! I can't stress this enough... I KNOW what I'm talking about and what I hear from my stuff, but don't take anyone's word for a multi-thousand dollar purchase... do your homework and get what YOU want...
Hi Jseth. Thanks!. A lot of useful information here as well, i'll be trying every system i can in the local shop here during next weekend. I'll take the Aura Spectrum with me. Am very curious about the sound of the Bose system and the AER amps since they've been mentioned a lot on this forum, but i am also willing to try the SR JAM 150, saw a few videos on yt. And yes i agree upon the fact that i have to play through the gear and let my ears decide!!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:45 AM

Hi folks,

there is one more aspect.

If you buy an amp, you can amplify your guitar. Great but you are lonely...

A P.A. solution with a small mixer will give you the opportunity to have other musicians around. Invite a singer, somebody with a harp, a flute, another guitarplayer and so on.

Just my 2 cents.

cu

erniecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification