The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
Yeah ... but they couldn't call it the 'magic dust' knob cos it wouldn't sound so impressive

As I said, I'm sure it will make their (and other pickups) sound better in certain signal chains. It kinda reminds me of the AER Colouriser a bit.
Well like I said, after running my samples of the Lyric>Venue demo I made into Audition's multi-band compressor, and finding the right preset, I ended up with a great sounding demo, similar to the sound in the LR Baggs videos. Having this effect in a pedal would certainly be a benefit if the parameters are right. According to them they are...the little sound snippet found at the end of the first video in this thread sounded very good. So I'm encouraged by that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...layer_embedded
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well like I said, after running my samples of the Lyric>Venue demo I made into Audition's multi-band compressor, and finding the right preset, I ended up with a great sounding demo, similar to the sound in the LR Baggs videos. Having this effect in a pedal would certainly be a benefit if the parameters are right. According to them they are...the little sound snippet found at the end of the first video in this thread sounded very good. So I'm encouraged by that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...layer_embedded
It's funny but I don't find that tone any better than what Doyle generally gets.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's funny but I don't find that tone any better than what Doyle generally gets.
I've never heard of Doyle before this video, but it strikes me as a very good sounding sample on a cheap You Tube quickly produced video at a very busy Namm show. I'm encouraged.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Since your Matrix systems are active, the signal is already being buffered by an onboard preamp. You can get by without an outboard preamp/DI. Some possible advantages of having an outboard preamp/DI would be a) onstage volume control (if there's no volume wheel on your guitar), b) possibly better EQ control than the amp or PA mixer provide, c) special processing capabilities, as with Fishman's Aura Spectrum DI or the Session DI being discussed and d) onstage availability of a signal phase inversion. (A signal phase inversion can sometimes lessen feedback problems or {alternatively} provide a fuller sounding signal.)

If I needed another basic preamp/DI and was going for sheer value, with respect to features for the price, I'd likely purchase Fishman's new Platinum Stage preamp.

If the Pure Mini is passive, it will likely work well with the amp, assuming a relatively short cable (10' or less) between guitar and amp. On the other hand, the bass end won't be as full sounding when running directly to a PA mixer with a relatively low input impedance. An outboard preamp/DI might be helpful in maintaining a fuller sound, as well as providing the other possible advantages listed above.
When you say "buffered," does that imply processed? In other words, while I can "get by" with my on board pre amp, wouldn't I have a lot more tonal options with an outboard DI? Again, my knowledge here is minimal, so forgive me if that's a stupid question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
Yeah ... but they couldn't call it the 'magic dust' knob cos it wouldn't sound so impressive

As I said, I'm sure it will make their (and other pickups) sound better in certain signal chains. It kinda reminds me of the AER Colouriser a bit.
After listing to it again, he does say that it's "Studio magic in a box." Also he does specifically say that the Session will work together with the Venue (and I assume the Para DI as well).
Martin 000-28EC Crossroads
Martin HD 28 "Torrefied"
Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of Doyle before this video, but it strikes me as a very good sounding sample on a cheap You Tube quickly produced video at a very busy Namm show. I'm encouraged.
Doyle uses the Lr Baggs LB6 pickup system in his guitar. If you search him on YouTube you can see the tones that he generally gets from this pickup. The Session isn't really doing enough in the NAMM video to really blow me away. However, as mentioned, I still think that it's one of those units that everyone will need to audition in person to really hear the benefits.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM

I was talking to a friend about the Session DI, and told him about the multi-band compressor feature. He looked up multi-band compressors at Musician's Friend and found them selling for $5-6,000 bucks for a quality one, all of a sudden $249 for the Session sounded very reasonable.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm more interested in the saturation than the multi-band compression
Old 01-25-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
I'm more interested in the saturation than the multi-band compression
Yes, that'll be interesting too...I hope it doesn't add too much distortion like the one in Sonar X3. I'm looking for a nice clean sound. I didn't hear any distortion on Doyle's demo. So maybe it'll be alright.

Too bad we have to wait two months for it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyadoc View Post
When you say "buffered," does that imply processed? In other words, while I can "get by" with my on board pre amp, wouldn't I have a lot more tonal options with an outboard DI? Again, my knowledge here is minimal, so forgive me if that's a stupid question.

After listing to it again, he does say that it's "Studio magic in a box." Also he does specifically say that the Session will work together with the Venue (and I assume the Para DI as well).
Think of "buffering" the signal as conditioning the signal to be able to travel down a long cable without losing much level or quality. A passive signal degrades quickly, which is why the cable between a passive pickup and an outboard preamp should be fairly short (10' or less). A preamp (which has a high input impedance and a low output impedance) will buffer the signal. Also, a passive direct box will typically have a high enough input impedance (1Mohm) to buffer the K&K Pure Mini signal adequately. (Other passive piezo pickups, like Fishman's AG series undersaddle pickups, will tend to need a much higher input impedance {10Mohms or more} for adequate buffering. For those pickups, you'd need to run to an outboard preamp before going to a direct box.)

Regarding EQ, an outboard preamp with sweepable midrange EQ (like the Platinum Stage which I mentioned) will give you decent EQ control from the stage. The downside (from my observation) is that a lot of users never bother to learn to use it well. (You need to use the boost/cut control and the frequency selection control in tandem.) The Session DI will be an easier (single nob for "dynamic EQ") device to deal with.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-26-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I listened to the LR Bagg's demo's of their Lyric pickup and thought gee that sounds good, why can't mine sound that good. Then I noticed in everyone of the video's, the performers were playing thru Venue's. So I bought a Venue thinking then I could duplicate the great sound in the video's. Nope. Now I find out those demo video's were mixed using extra sound processing thru multi-band compressors and saturation gear. What other gimmicks are they using to get great sounding demo's ?? $3,000 mics ?? analog tape recorders ??

I'd really like to hear a true demo of this Session DI BEFORE I shell out another $250...by that I mean an actual unprocessed demo.

Sounds like the truth is starting to come out.
I understand your skepticism about manufacturer-produced product videos! I tried running the Lyric and Venue I had through two different guitars, a 2012 Martin D-18 and a 2013 Taylor 518 First Edition. Although, with a lot of tweaking, I could get a usable tone from either guitar, I was never satisfied with the overall fullness of the amplified sound of either guitar. It seemed I was always reaching to tweak the Venue's knobs and the Lyric's Presence screw every few minutes while I was playing the guitars. Both the Lyric and the Venue are now traded for other gear. I did like the Venue DI though and thought it a versatile and useful preamp/DI. As for the Lyric, maybe an updated version, if ever released, will be easier to dial-in?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I understand your skepticism about manufacturer-produced product videos! I tried running the Lyric and Venue I had through two different guitars, a 2012 Martin D-18 and a 2013 Taylor 518 First Edition. Although, with a lot of tweaking, I could get a usable tone from either guitar, I was never satisfied with the overall fullness of the amplified sound of either guitar. It seemed I was always reaching to tweak the Venue's knobs and the Lyric's Presence screw every few minutes while I was playing the guitars. Both the Lyric and the Venue are now traded for other gear. I did like the Venue DI though and thought it a versatile and useful preamp/DI. As for the Lyric, maybe an updated version, if ever released, will be easier to dial-in?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Like I said, once you process the Lyric, it sounds great. It gives a sound engineer something good to work with. A very good signal. You know what they say, "You can't polish a turd" well the signal from the Lyric is not a turd and yes you can polish it and end up with a great sounding recording. I've tried it, done it and it comes out great ! This is why I have no desired for another pickup, and will continue to buy LR Baggs stuff. Even though the video's might be a bit misleading, it's still a very good product. With the addition of the Session DI to the Venue and Lyric, I may end up with a dynamite sounding rig !!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Hi,

sorry, I am disappointed.

What do I need? EQ with sweepable mids, compression, DI, boost and tuner. Baggs gives me:

Unit 1: DI with compression
Unit 2: DI with EQ, boost and tuner

I want it all in one box. A small, sturdy, light box.

Honestly? Fishman Platinum Pro EQ shows the way...

cu

erniecaster

P.S. No relationship to Fishman.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 AM

Yes a A/B test shootout between the Baggs stuff vrs the Fishman Platinum would be interesting. It would all depend on the quality of the sound of the Session DI... The saturation feature and compression preset just may put it over the top.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yes a A/B test shootout between the Baggs stuff vrs the Fishman Platinum would be interesting. It would all depend on the quality of the sound of the Session DI... The saturation feature and compression preset just may put it over the top.
Quality of sound definitely comes first. However, the Platinum Pro and Venue DI definitely have more features that a lot of players want and need. At this point I see the Session as one DI option and the Venue/Platinum Pro as another. Obviously you can pair them together but if you need a boost, fx loop, tuner out etc then the Session is lacking.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Yes but it seems as though the Session is designed to be a companion to the Venue. Multi-band compression ?? Gotta love it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification