The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

As I mentioned to Gary earlier sometimes and for some folks there's far more sonic gains to be had by a simple setup and concentrating more on the right hand and then ultimately their performance, than by a complex stage environment.

I'm digging the idea of this box.
I completely agree with this. The only two things that IMO are missing from the Session DI are a boost switch and a tuner out. I personally like to plug my acoustic straight into a DI without first running through a series of pedals like a tuner and boost. I think most gigging musicians, even those folks who just do it for fun, would love to have a boost feature and a tuner out. These two features just seem to be showing up a lot lately on DI/preamps and it's unfortunate that they did not include them on the Session. It would have been neat if the mute switch could also double as a boost. One click is a boost.. hold the switch for two seconds and the signal mutes.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM

Run it in conjunction with the Venue and you'll have what you want. A boost switch and a tuner.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Run it in conjunction with the Venue and you'll have what you want. A boost switch and a tuner.
You could do that but it doesn't really make a lot of sense, especially from a financial stand point. I am also not a big fan of the tuner on the Venue. I am definitely going to try the Session and can make it work, I just wish it at least had a boost and tuner out.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:31 PM

It makes sense to me because I already have a Venue bought and paid for, I found it used on ebay for $179 which wasn't too bad. I like the tuner on the Venue, but normally used the fender clip on. Having both seems to be the best option to me...a lot depends on the cost and availability of the Session DI. The audio demo portion of the Namm video sounds really good to me.

I hate when manufacturers withhold information about products.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-24-2015, 01:33 PM

so this was posted on their Instagram account......

lrbaggsofficial
The Session DI will be available early spring. We will know more in the next couple of weeks. Street price in the U.S. will be $249.

hmmmm.....

I'm torn about the Session. DO NOT like the top mounted XLR!!! That's one of the reasons I'm replacing my PADI. I've been seriously considering either the Venue or even the Radial PZ-Pre simply because of the EQ section and the Notch filter capabilities. Have been considering sorta the Angel Electronics stuff too but their site has been down for construction for Gen 7 stuuff but not sure of the build quality even though some high power fingerstyle guys are on board. Maybe the Lehle or even the new Fishman. And don't get me started about the new Grace Felix. so many choices these days

I'm currently in the process of putting the full Anthem system in my 94' Taylor 810. Not because I'm not please with my older Baggs Dual source of that era, but because I think it'll be a pretty substantial improvement with newer technology. I run it through a PADI (older first model one) and I get very respectable results, but.....

As I'm an Audio Engineer and a worship guitarist (large band, Avioms and multi-campuses and systems), I'm looking for a little upgrade on my tone even though we run Avalon U5 preamps for our guest acoustic players which is fantastic.

My thoughts are, maybe the ultimate would be a Session run though send/returns of the Venue. Still get the great 5 band parametric EQ w/ variable frequencies and notch of the Venue but then get an extra notch on the Session WITH Saturation and the multi-compressor. Not even using the XLR out.

seems expensive though for a few features, but maybe the improvement is that awesome.

ahhh the elusive quest for ultimate tone!!!

how much is enough?

answer - just a tad bit more

1994 Taylor 810 Sitka/Indian Rosewood
2015 LR Baggs Anthem -
LR Baggs Session pre-amp D.I.
Fishman AFX Reverb
Empress ParaEQ
1999 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Fender Vibrochamp
Old 01-24-2015, 01:49 PM

[/QUOTE]
The second thought that comes to mind is Baggs appears to be going down the road of the keep it simple mind set. The grand, grand majority of weekend warriors (who of course is Lloyd's demographic) haven't much of a clue about the nitty gritty of the more complex audio devices. Some struggle with basic and fundamental audio issues and ideas. Put an average weekend warrior on stage with a typical 4-band (or 3-band) multiband compressor and I'd think the options (and the anxiety that options create) and the somewhat complex parameters would ultimately do more harm than good. Obviously in this case a pre-set multiband is a very broad brush stroke but I suspect the frequencies and curves were selected in a manner to cover the most ground for the most egregious and notorious pickup anomalies.

As I mentioned to Gary earlier sometimes and for some folks there's far more sonic gains to be had by a simple setup and concentrating more on the right hand and then ultimately their performance, than by a complex stage environment.

I'm digging the idea of this box.[/QUOTE]

this is wisdom

2015 LR Baggs Anthem -
Fishman AFX Reverb
Empress ParaEQ
1999 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Fender Vibrochamp
Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

now waiting for the LR Baggs "Venssion"

2015 LR Baggs Anthem -
Fishman AFX Reverb
Empress ParaEQ
1999 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Fender Vibrochamp
Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I don't disagree that a mastery of the instrument and a good "feel" for the pickup at hand should be a performers' top priorities. Lord knows I've run across many talented players who are able to delight an audience with just a $50 soundhole mag in their guitar. I didn't start becoming an absolute nut about amplified guitar sound until I started running sound for other folks in "challenging" environments. Admittedly, my interest in guitar amplification has evolved to a degree that's way beyond its relevance to my own performances.

Getting back to the issue of the Session DI, I think it might be a good tool to thicken the somewhat thin sounding (to my ears) high end from the Anthem system. I'm currently fortunate to be running sound for several good players who use Anthem-equipped guitars. Its my personal favorite of the mainstream, mono out pickup systems. However, the high end does sound a tad bit thin to me at times.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:04 PM

Well I listened to the LR Bagg's demo's of their Lyric pickup and thought gee that sounds good, why can't mine sound that good. Then I noticed in everyone of the video's, the performers were playing thru Venue's. So I bought a Venue thinking then I could duplicate the great sound in the video's. Nope. Now I find out those demo video's were mixed using extra sound processing thru multi-band compressors and saturation gear. What other gimmicks are they using to get great sounding demo's ?? $3,000 mics ?? analog tape recorders ??

I'd really like to hear a true demo of this Session DI BEFORE I shell out another $250...by that I mean an actual unprocessed demo.

Sounds like the truth is starting to come out.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 01-24-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I listened to the LR Bagg's demo's of their Lyric pickup and thought gee that sounds good, why can't mine sound that good. Then I noticed in everyone of the video's, the performers were playing thru Venue's. So I bought a Venue thinking then I could duplicate the great sound in the video's. Nope. Now I find out those demo video's were mixed using extra sound processing thru multi-band compressors and saturation gear. What other gimmicks are they using to get great sounding demo's ?? $3,000 mics ?? analog tape recorders ??

I'd really like to hear a true demo of this Session DI BEFORE I shell out another $250...by that I mean an actual unprocessed demo.

I don't know how a $3000 mic helps make a *pickup* sound better. But I would say recorded demos tell you how their recording sounds, period. It won't tell you how it will sound with you playing it, with your amp, in the places you play, all of which have more impact on the sound than the actual gear.

You can hear demos of many pickups, totally unprocessed, on my pickup page (see sig). I don't think I used a Venue on any of those - I haven't really set out to compare preamps, tho I have posted some Venue demos here before.

The problem is, my demos still show my guitar, me playing, direct into a recorder. There are no "gimicks", but still, you playing your guitar thru your amp, etc, will sound different (quite probably better!). I don't think there's any serious deception going on with Baggs or anyone else's demos, tho of course any manufacturer will put their product in the best light. It's just impossible to predict how something will work for you until you try it. One good strategy is to order it from someone who will let you return the gear if it doesn't work for you.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 PM

Well in the Lyric video's, he doesn't advertise the fact that everybody is playing thru Venues. He doesn't advertise that the demo's are polished up in a studio. You have to admit there's a little bit of trickery going on here.

I'd be more apt to believe a You Tube video showing an A/B demo of the Session DI unit by an actual user vrs a highly polished professionally produced video.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Lyric a lot and it does sound okay thru my system, but no where as nice as the posted demo video's on the LR Baggs website. I like the Venue too, but it too needs help, I'm hoping that the Session DI is the final answer.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:

You need to give it time. NAMM is literally still happening at the moment where the Session is being introduced. Videos will definitely be released.. Lr Baggs is one of the best companies for showing off their gear in videos.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Well according to a previous post, the Session DI won't be available until early spring...that's a good 2-3 months away. It's amazing how the price is much more than the Para DI.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM

I just did a sound check with the Lyric/Venue into Adobe Audition CS6. I tried adding multi-band compression and went thru the presets. Some of them sounded really nice and really improved the sound of the Lyric greatly.

I also ran the same file into Cakewalk's Sonar X3 to try out their saturation effect...that just added a nasty distortion so I wasn't very pleased with that.

The multi-band compressor really put on a nice finishing touch, so this Session DI might be just what the doctor ordered.

Another studio trick I used is to clean up the audio track with Audition's Noise Reduction feature, which really cleaned up the track nicely, and really improved the sound.

So with all that said, I was able to get the Lyric to sound very close to the demo's on the LR Baggs website. So the Lyric does need help, but does have the capability to deliver a quality sound. I have no desire to change pickups.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 AM

lr baggs acoustic session di with empress para eq, would be is a good combination?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification