The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2014, 05:16 PM

Default Yamaha DBR 10

I'm looking for some opinions on the Yamaha DBR 10 or 12 powered speaker. The reviews I'm reading are ok but I'd like to know more. They are on my short list.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

I bought one for reinforcement in mid-to larger venues. I also have a Schertler David which is okay for intimate settings but lacks enough Bass for anything larger.

The DBR10 does this very well. Looking back, I might consider just owning the DBR as it is very articulate. It is not overpowering in small settings and has enough power for me in larger venues.

I sought out a 10inch driver configuration because I've found some larger speakers don't have a smooth response from Bass to Trebles. Also I've found that other instrumentalists have used the 10" size with pleasing results.

Just a FYI, I have used the JBL EON 510 and it was very nice. There is now a 610.

My playing partner owns a Fishman SA220 which we use more often I highly recommend even more if you can fit it in your budget. It fill a medium sized venue well and doesn't overpower the audience who are sitting near the speaker.

Here's a thread I started about the subject of my interest in powered speakers:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=363683
Old 12-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Turp, I read your link and thank you, it helped.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 12-28-2014, 10:41 AM

I've been using a single DBR10 high and behind for my duo the last few months as a lighter replacement for a QSC K10. I like it. I bought and returned a Mackie SRM350v3 prior to trying the DBR10. It was also pretty good but made strange noises that you could hear in a quiet room. My previous experience with a JBL EON510 was bad in several ways and I was reluctant to try the new 610. The only short coming to the DBR10 is the top handle is just a cut out of the thin cabinet side material. I put some felt in there to make it more comfortable. It has no side handle.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-29-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Just an update on this subject. I used a single DBR 10 in a open mic. The venue was a 50 seat restaurant with brick walls and high ceilings. I also used a small floor monitor in the system.

It was the first time in this setting and the first time I got to hear as a sound man rather than performing. I couldn't' be more pleased. It was an acoustic/spoken word event.
The tone was natural and the projection into the space was very nice.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Just an update on this subject. I used a single DBR 10 in a open mic. The venue was a 50 seat restaurant with brick walls and high ceilings. I also used a small floor monitor in the system.

It was the first time in this setting and the first time I got to hear as a sound man rather than performing. I couldn't' be more pleased. It was an acoustic/spoken word event.
The tone was natural and the projection into the space was very nice.
Are you using a mixer or other devise between the guitar/mic and the DBR? if so, what?
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I'm using 4 channels (2 mics and 2 instruments) on a 6ch mixer. It doesn't have effects so I'm using a TC Electronics Mic mechanic on ch1 and a instrument effects on ch3. The others are dry.

I'm considering this for more channels and it has effects.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...on-and-effects
Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Yes, I'm using 4 channels (2 mics and 2 instruments) on a 6ch mixer. It doesn't have effects so I'm using a TC Electronics Mic mechanic on ch1 and a instrument effects on ch3. The others are dry.

I'm considering this for more channels and it has effects.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...on-and-effects
Thanks for the reply. I have mixers, I'm interested in something with a small footprint for when I play solo. I've been looking at the Aura Spectrum DI, the LR Baggs Venue and the Zoom G3X and I'm open to widening my selection.

I've tried a Ditto 2X/PADI combo and it worked OK. I liked that setup because the pedals are battery operated and it makes it an easy set up when visiting/playing an open mic.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have mixers, I'm interested in something with a small footprint for when I play solo. I've been looking at the Aura Spectrum DI, the LR Baggs Venue and the Zoom G3X and I'm open to widening my selection.

I've tried a Ditto 2X/PADI combo and it worked OK. I liked that setup because the pedals are battery operated and it makes it an easy set up when visiting/playing an open mic.
I also like a small foot print simplicity. The Fishman Tonedeq (it's battery operatized too) is a great DI and it has very practical effects. It's good match for a looper. My partner uses one performing with the Boss RC1 ( for an all battery rig) and it is one of the best tone shapers I've heard.

Here's a smaller mixer too:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-channel-mixer

Last edited by Turp; 02-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification