The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I ordered that speaker stand adapter and a speaker stand. I think the combo of the AER and the Bose L1 Model 2 gives me a ton of versatility and the AER is so easy to set up and sounds so good, I don't mind doing what I did yesterday: start with the AER, see if it will work for the venue then go out to the big Bose as needed.
I made a thick leather washer (from unwanted piece I cut off my gtar strap) which I place at the top of my adapter ... if you look at the 3/8 stud at the top you'll notice that the thread doesn't go all the way ... the bottom few mills are without thread. It will still screw tight into the AER but I prefer to have more thread contact for a stronger hold so the washer does this.

Just like the setup described, you'll find the AER is great when plugging into a house desk as well ... for those really big venues where the monitors are part of the stage but you still want your sound. I've seen this done by several folks ... and the best part is you only have a small amp to lug around.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Matt,
Sounds like you got an excellent result. that is an odd setup so you might not run into that often. I would have probably taken the AER to one end of the room and pointed it across the whole space. It is great though that you could use the BOSE to fill in the space without drowning people out.

I am going to order the K&M reducer so I can use the AER on a solid speaker stand without joy rigging it. Jan, I made a foam washer so the AER fits more snugly on the thread also.

Let us know how it goes with gigs where you only use the AER. I am anxious to hear how that works for you. I really think you cannot beat the AER tone.

davidc
Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

My K&M adapter showed up today along with my speaker stand. My K&M adapter threads tight right to the metal plate in the AER so that is super sturdy. I bought a pretty bare bones Ultimate speaker stand. I always had good luck with those in the past. This model is TS-80.

I think the speaker stand and the K&M adapter together weigh more than the amp! It's very, very sturdy. I was hesitant to leave the amp on a mic stand in my office/studio. I never know when kid will come running through. I have no worries about this set up.

I'm excited to play around with different heights and see how that changes the sound.

Matt
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 AM

Matt, this is my solution. Bought a sturdy Roland loudspeaker stand (min. height is 79cm). Had an adapter nut welded - for extra sturdiness - on the K&M adapter plate (in my case the smaller thread in the K&M plate only worked for an unstable mic stands). Bought 4 somewhat longer (3cm) feet so that I can leave the adapter nut on. Works super. And if want a floor wedge I use a simple K&M folding guitar stand (the triangle).

My lyrics and music on Youtube

Last edited by Karel; 12-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Matt, this is my solution. Bought a sturdy Roland loudspeaker stand (min. height is 79cm). Had an adapter nut welded - for extra sturdiness - on the K&M adapter plate (in my case the smaller thread in the K&M plate only worked for an unstable mic stands). Bought 4 somewhat longer (3cm) feet so that I can leave the adapter nut on. Works super. And if want a floor wedge I use a simple K&M folding guitar stand (the triangle). I would love to upload pics, but how do I do that??? On other forums it is never a problem and here I need an url. What for?

I decided to upload the pics just for a while on my blog: http://kareldeveymestdagh.blogspot.n...merkelijk.html

Still interested in the easier, direct way!
Hi Karel,
That looks like a good solution too. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

As for uploading pics here, you need to put them on a site like Flickr and then grab the url from there. Not sure why, that's just the way they do it.

Is anyone using a foot switch to turn on and off the effects? I tried one and it didn't do anything!

Matt
Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the tip, Matt. I never used the foot switch. You put an idea into my head. I made my own 'switch board' though which also holds my new AER Colourizer. Up to now its place was taken by a K&K Pure XLR Pre-amp but I must say that the AER Colourizer gives much more acoustic warmth to my sound. Let's try your tip and insert a picture...

Well, ggrrrr, tried it with Photobucket, inserted the url, but I don't see the pic!

Another try:

Wow, it works!! You have to right click on the pic and copy URL in stead of copying the URL in the top bar!

Last edited by Karel; 12-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

My current challenge is to find a way to use the amp as a floor wedge (that actually points at my head and not my knees!)

I came up with this:

These are some 2x4's I had in the garage wrapped in some rubber padding from an earlier project:

Then I put the little AER wedge on the 2x4's:

Then add the amp:

Now it points up at my head AND there is room for the power cord. It would be great if I could just use the little wedge to lean it back without the 2x4's but with the power cord sitting so low, I can't do that.

I'll cut down the 2x4's so they are less cumbersome to haul around but it's great to have a solution that puts the amp in a usable position as a wedge. I'm surprised there aren't more amp stands that accomplish this.

Matt
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM

MAtt, I used a little piece of white bracket left over from some window treatments- drilled a hole and placed it between the adapter and the amp. I bent the angle to give it the right height to angle the amp up towards me. That works fine.
I can send a pic by text or email.
davidc
Old 12-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
MAtt, I used a little piece of white bracket left over from some window treatments- drilled a hole and placed it between the adapter and the amp. I bent the angle to give it the right height to angle the amp up towards me. That works fine.
I can send a pic by text or email.
davidc
Hi David,
I sent you a PM with my email. I'd love to see a picture!

Matt
Old 12-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Matt, thanks again for your suggestions! I edited my earlier post somewhat and inserted pictures.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I decided to revamp my little tilt back system.

I ran to the hardware store for some Con-Tact brand Grip Premium Liner:

http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Non-A.../dp/B000KKIR1Y

Then cut a 1x3 to the right lengths and wrapped the pieces in the liner using gaffers tape:

Then the AER Wedge:

Then the amp:

The 1x3's are just enough to give the amp the clearance it needs for the power cord and are SO much lighter and easier to transport than the 2x4's. They could go in my little bag with cables, harps, etc. or in the carry bag for my speaker stand. Lots of options.

Plus it looks so much cleaner with the boards cut to length.

The AER sounds great like this and will be a wonderful monitor in this position for times when I go out to a bigger system.

Matt
Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 PM

The Schertler solution. Other that pointing out the thoughtful (and $$$) Schertler design, this might actually be applicable to the AER amp with some creative adapting. The knob adjusts the length of the arm so that the stand works with various sizes of Schertler amps.

I have used the arm with the stand this way and it works well.

hunter

Old 12-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

The Schertler kickstand is a VERY cool design.....but I had a Unico and that kickstand pointed the amp directly at my knees too!

I always stand when I play and I'm 6'4" so that is definitely part of the problem. My head is too far away from the ground!

Matt

P.S. I should say when these amps/monitors, etc. point at my knees it also has to do with how close I'd like to be able to stand to them and still get the proper angle. Obviously I could stand further away and get the right angle but tight stages don't always allow for that.

Last edited by open-road-matt; 12-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:05 PM

Interesting. I'm 6'2" and with the amp on the stand I can set it so the cone is aimed directly at my head when I am standing less than 3' from the amp. Actually 2 feet. And that is with either a Unico or a David. Even with the angle set as I have it in the picture, I am getting it directly at my head at a distance of about 4'. Did you tried adjusting the length of the arm?

If you couldn't get that much offset that would be a small stage.

In the end, I typically use it on the pole mount anyway.

hunter
Old 12-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Interesting. I'm 6'2" and with the amp on the stand I can set it so the cone is aimed directly at my head when I am standing less than 3' from the amp. Actually 2 feet. And that is with either a Unico or a David. Even with the angle set as I have it in the picture, I am getting it directly at my head at a distance of about 4'. Did you tried adjusting the length of the arm?

If you couldn't get that much offset that would be a small stage.

In the end, I typically use it on the pole mount anyway.

hunter
In all fairness, I could be remembering it wrong. It's been probably at least 6 years since I've had the Unico. I just never quite bonded with that amp for some reason or another so maybe I'm letting that fact cloud my memory of the little kickstand. It's a very cool design either way!

I do really like to be right on top of my monitor if possible. Here is what I'm going for with this little tilt back system:

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification