The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM

K&M makes a flange that adapts the Compact 60 threads to a speaker stand. Into opinion, this is the way to go. It is a pain in the you know what to screw a mic stand into the AER. And the speaker stands are much more stable. My two cents!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I am MORE than happy with my AER Compact 60/2; bought it used for $600, and it is well worth every penny!

That "little" amp covered a room that was approx. 20'x100', with 18 foot ceilings, playing to a fairly noisy crowd, with tile floors, stone and brick walls and ceilings...

Used it there for my first time performing with the AER, and had planned to use a line-out to the bigger existing PA system at the place; the AER sounded SO GOOD and filled that room SO WELL, that I stayed with just that "little" amp! I was astounded by it's performance, to say the least...

The Compact 60 has the attribute of really spreading the sound around extremely well, especially when you turn it up a bit... oh, and for that gig of mine? Never had the master volume even halfway up, more like 1/3 of the way... AND I was singing and playing 6 and 12 string guitar through the thing!

Expensive? Yes... Great sound and very high quality? ABSOLUTELY! Going back and forth between my guitars in one channel requires me to reset the tone controls a bit, but come on! The thing weighs 12#s and only has two channels; I figure it's worth the hassle of resetting controls a bit...

A buddy of mine got a hold of a Domino III for a decent price used... he plays 6, 12 string and resonator guitars, as well as singing, and felt he needed both the extra power and the four channels...

After his first gig with it, his comment was "I am selling my PA system"! And his PA is huge JBL mains, and nice A&H powered mixer and a rackmount graphic/parametric eq unit... he is very happy with his Domino III.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-29-2015, 03:20 PM

Cant say enough about AER, best amp I have ever used! I just received the K&M flange reducer. My buddy owns the music store where I get everything and they ordered an extra one- pm me if you want specifics.

It is the way to go, although a regular piece of solid wood with velcro and a speaker mount bracket works just about as well and you can mount the amp sideways!

davidc
Old 01-30-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanAinm View Post
Question for you guys who are putting your Compact 60's on mic stands - what kind of mic stands are you using and how are you attaching them? And do you go straight out or have you figured out a way to get some tilt?
Thx.
Take a sturdy one. I use a Roland speaker stand. Works super.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 01-30-2015, 03:51 AM

Don't want to hijack the thread. Quick question though. XLR out on the AER's do NOT carry the onboard reverb. I am stuck for that reason with using a 1/4" line out to our PA, which is just not the best, I'd rather have xlr naturally. Is there any work around? (I don't want to use a reverb pedal as I am running my Taylor with the trs/low impedance cable into the mic input of the aer..) thanks

Last edited by DoryDavis; 01-30-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 AM

Hi!

Take a look at the AER AG-8. This ist just a compact 60 without the preamp.

I use this little guy with a small mixer. With two of them, you got a wonderful little P.A. - for guitar, vocals, piano etc.

Would not recommend it for the use of a bass guitar or drums.

cu

e.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification