The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Default What acoustic sounds electric

Have acoustic gig needing variety.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Can you provide more information? Are you wanting an acoustic guitar that will double as an electric such as a Taylor T5 or are you wanting to incorporate guitar effects?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM

check out what Steve Stevens uses. its a synth controller really great. he is the master of effects.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post
Can you provide more information? Are you wanting an acoustic guitar that will double as an electric such as a Taylor T5 or are you wanting to incorporate guitar effects?
A second acoustic that will be used with pedals that I can use to accent my acoustic with some harder edged stuff.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 PM

You might want to consider a hybrid like Godin, Taylor, Crafter. I picked up a Crafter recently and it gives me an electric sound and an acoustic sound. Neither is a complete full on sound of that type of guitar, but for what I do it works. Godin also makes thin body acoustic/electrics that are more designed as acoustic, but play more like an electric. Carvin and Fender also makes them. Plus if you can snag an older super shallow bowl Ovation they play like an electric. I have one of those and have used it with effects and pedals and it works well.

For me personally if I am going to be using an acoustic with lots of effects then I prefer a thinner/smaller body acoustic just so I don't hear as much of the acoustic sound right there from the guitar. Unless the amps are turned up loud I end up with a little confusion between the acoustic sound and the effects sound so it's hard for me to determine how the effects really sound.

But with my acoustic electrics I use a number of different effects and pedals to try and cover a wide range of sounds.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Taylor T5, Epiphone SST Studio, Crafter SAT, Godin Multiac.

My Taylor acoustic with ES is capable of some convincing electric tones with it's magnetic pickup.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:17 PM

My T5 can cover anything. I added an LR Baggs Element Active and also have a Roland synth pickup mounted on it, so it is really a T7.
I use an A/B box and send one signal to an acoustic amp or board and the other to an electric amp. Gives me a very well balanced tone and you can add effects to either side or both.

For years that had been my go -to setup but now i am leaning more to playing my 914, 814 cocobolo or Custom GA quilted sapele, which all are more standard acoustics of course.
davidc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification