The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2015, 03:54 PM

Default Is reverb generally better from a good pedal than from an in-built amp unit?

Just wondered if there is generally a difference in quality. Instinct would tell me that a separate unit would be better, but maybe this isn't the case.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:40 PM

At a basic level, I prefer the actual spring reverb of my amp to that setting on my Hall of Fame pedal, but the just has a volume dial on the reverb, where the pedal has multiple ways to manipulate (tweak, improve, whatever) the sounds it's digitally producing. Live, I'm likely to go with the pedal everytime, because spring's not the best reverb sound for acoustic IMO, anyway.

For me, simplicity goes to the amp, versatility goes to the pedal.

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 01-25-2015, 01:15 AM

it probably depends on your amp. With the two amps I use (AER Compact & Acoustic Radiator 2) I don't use my pedal (Fishman AFX Reverb) ... even though it is one of the best reverb pedals for acoustic I find the amp good enough and certainly no worse.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:29 AM

When it comes to what sounds better, that is a subjective judgement that the individual can only make for themselves. However, pedals are a lot more tweakable, so perhaps that may be why people seem to like them more. It makes them more likely to get the sound they want.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 AM

Depends on your amp, your pedal, your setup, and your ear.

In theory, the best you're going to find is a good quality rack FX unit in the FX loop of the amp. That said, I've gotten good reverb sounds from the on-board digital fx in certain mixers and acoustic amps, and acceptable reverb from a pedal. I do not care for spring reverb on acoustic guitars, I prefer simulated room or hall reverb.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

There was a very similar thread on this topic a few weeks ago. Might want to search.

I've never gotten around to buying a reverb pedal. Always settled for built-in amp unit, even tho over the years there's been a range from pretty nice to crap...remembering a little Fender Champ 12 I had for awhile where I was pretty sure the reverb unit was made outa cardboard or maybe styrofoam.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM

If you're talking about reverb for acoustic guitar, I much prefer outboard digital (i.e. Lexicon rack, etc., or some pedals). For electric, I'll go back and forth, sometimes blending, but will typically limit spring reverb to 1/3 of the effect level.

That said, there are certain styles for which springs are the best and most authentic sound. It's all in what you're wanting to hear.

For what I do, I just tend to prefer digital reverb (and delay FWIW). I haven't had a chance to try Eventide yet, but am hoping to do that sooner than later.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 AM

I love the reverb in my Fender Deluxe Reverb just kills it for that "Surf" sound for electric guitar. Also love my Vanamps Reverbamate which is a spring reverb in a pedal. Sorta big but does a great job also. Does not nail the Deluxe but comes pretty darn close.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 AM

Love my AER Compact 60/2 but don't love the reverb. Doesn't give me near enough flexibility to get the kind of reverb (not too wet, crystal clear tone with no loss of attack, and very long tail) that I am looking for with my fingerstyle acoustic playing. Have had much better luck with good quality reverb pedals.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 AM

For a great, long while I used a Holy Grail Reverb Nano pedal. I would leave in on the spring setting, set the knobs, and never touch it again. Once I acquired an amp with proper spring reverb I sold the pedal and never looked back. It seems that there is a far more organic feel to built in reverb, as opposed to a pedal to make the effect.
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM

I never use reverb for live playing, acoustic or electric. I have reverb on all my amps. I prefer the tube reverb on my Twin, and deluxe reverb amps at home. However, my voice get some reverb thru the PA.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification