The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 AM

Default Epiphone Masterbilt or Yamaha A1M?

I'm looking at the Epiphone Masterbilt dr-500mce vs the Yamaha A1M Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric. I think I'd like to try an acoustic-electric, since I own an Epiphone ES-335 PRO Limited and a VOX VT20 amp.

The Yamaha comes with a case, and is a solid Sitka spruce top and mahogany laminate sides and back, and has had great reviews online. The Epiphone Masterbilt is built with SOLID mahogany sides and back, and has good reviews as well, although I have seen quality control problems mentioned on it as well. Both are priced the same.

I have say I'm leaning toward the Yamaha, although the thought of owning a solid wood guitar is appealing. My ES-335 arrived in flawless condition, all I did was have it set up at the local GC. What do you all think? I think either would be an upgrade, but Yamaha is hard to beat.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 AM

I played both, and I went with the Masterbilt AJ500ENS. To me the solid woods and bone saddle and nut swayed me that direction, but when plugged in (to my ears) the Epi one out. I have also read the reviews about the issues especially with the shadow electronics but I have been playing mine every week as i lead worship at my church for the last 3 years and have experienced no problems whatsoever! Just my 2 cents. Just play them both if you can and get what speaks to you!
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 AM

I played the Epiphone you are considering the other day and thought it was a wonderful guitar. It looked great, had wonderful fit and finish, felt and sounded great. Was very impressed. i just randomly picked it off the rack when I was shopping for acoustic amps. I also own a Yamaha acoustic, but not the one you're considering. I think Yamaha makes greats guitars as well, but if it was up to me I'd go with that Epi. Seemed great, and the price was affordable.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played the Yamaha, but I've played several Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE acoustic-electric guitars and I'd say they're about the best deal out there for the money! A DR-500MCE and an Epiphone EDREAD hardshell case (really good quality!) will set you back about $705 online but you may be able to get a little better deal if you have a local high-volume store that sells Epiphone. I've been locally quoted a price of $565 for both case and guitar. The ESonic2 pickup system is really good sounding but I've heard imbalances in the UST NanoFlex part of the system on a couple of DR-500MCEs. This can be easily remedied by a bit tinkering with the bridge-saddle.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM

If it's plugged in tone you are after you cant go wrong with either. The shadow electronics in the Epi are excellent. The nanomag and the UST can be blended to make a great tone. The yamaha electronics have good effects you can add to the UST to make it sound a bit more natural.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 PM

I'm new to the AGF, so hello!

I bought a used AJ-500RENS on Craigslist and have been very impressed with its playability and its acoustics. The guy I bought it from didn't like it. Not sure why. I really like the built-in tuner. Didn't seem to have any quality control issues, although I'm cautious about imported guitars. I agree that this Masterbilt Series, which I believe is no longer produced, had some great value guitars. Also came with a very nice Wolfpack soft/hard shell case.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 AM

Default Decided!

Today I pulled the trigger on the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst, and the Epiphone hard case that fits it!

Now I eagerly await its arrival. After considering all the good reviews and watching many videos on the Masterbilt, I really liked what I heard and saw about the Epiphone.

Having an Epiphone ES-335 Limited PRO, which impressed both me, and the techs with its quality, at the local Guitar Center, where I took the ES-335 for a setup, I figured I can't go too far wrong with a solid wood Masterbilt.

Now the wait begins!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:16 AM

It has arrived! My Masterbilt is here! After waiting impatiently for 4 hours to let it adjust to room temperature, I unboxed it and it it's in perfect condition, ready to play, with a great low action! After I tuned it, I got to enjoy the deeper sound and tone that's totally different than my Yamaha acoustic. I also bought the Epiphone Dread case to go with it, and it fits perfectly! I'm really looking forward to lessons today!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification