The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Default Pain in fingertips?been playing two yrs...

I'm 19 been playing about to yrs and for some reason this week my fingertips are losing skin and cramp sometimes.this hasn't happened in a long time.the last time this happened was when I first started playing and the first week they wear sore.but two yrs have gone by and now they are doing it again.what am I doing wrong?is it my hand position on the neck or?also I've seen these things called gorilla tips that protect your fingers while you play.they are like plastic rubbery condoms that go on your fingertips.has anyone tried those or do I just need to man up and keep building?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 PM

2 things cause that for me after playing for a long time.
1. not playing for awhile and getting back into it
2. playing after hands are soft from being wet. long time in pool. play right after shower, etc.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:29 AM

If you put some plastic tip thing on your finger you should expect to lose so of the touch you have learned. My first few years of playing I wore off many calluses and blisters. It will stop eventually, harden into a rock, and no longer hurt.

As per your question about position...I have found that the height in which I used to hold the guitar created lots of cramps for me. I now wear/play my instruments higher up (electric guys make fun of me), and I no longer have any issues with cramps...except for after many hours of bar chords...
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 10-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Don't know where you are, but is it possible that changes in weather have changed your setup? I don't have much experience but I've read of folks tweaking the truss rod seasonally and even changing saddles.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Don't know where you are, but is it possible that changes in weather have changed your setup? I don't have much experience but I've read of folks tweaking the truss rod seasonally and even changing saddles.
Along the same lines, are you working on new chords that subconsciously have you gripping more tightly than typical?

If your playing habits in general haven't changed, a good look at the guitar is worth a few bucks with whoever is your local instrument guru.

good luck
amyFb

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr87rules View Post
I'm 19 been playing about to yrs and for some reason this week my fingertips are losing skin and cramp sometimes.this hasn't happened in a long time.the last time this happened was when I first started playing and the first week they wear sore.but two yrs have gone by and now they are doing it again.what am I doing wrong?is it my hand position on the neck or?also I've seen these things called gorilla tips that protect your fingers while you play.they are like plastic rubbery condoms that go on your fingertips.has anyone tried those or do I just need to man up and keep building?
Years gone by without a problem and now a problem starts. Since you did not mention otherwise I would assume you are using the same guitar(s), same gauge strings, and you are playing the same way as always. You might try coated strings (Elixir) - they are kinder on the finger tips. It is possible the guitar setup deteriorated, so check that out. However if nothing works and the problem continues on then go get a check up with you PCP just in case.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-11-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 PM

Thanks guys

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write