The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2024, 11:18 AM

Default Cleaning and caring for vintage guitar finishes

Hi all,

I have several inquiries regarding the maintenance and cleaning of finishes on a vintage guitar, particularly a 1960 Hofner Senator. To streamline, I thought it best to consolidate them into one thread.

1. Fretboard
The guitar likely features a rosewood fretboard. While I've used lemon oil on it, I'm seeking a more effective solution. I'm interested in subtly darkening it (without resembling ebony) and improving its smoothness. Though it doesn't feel unpleasant currently, it's slightly "sticky" compared to the ebony board on my flat top. In the UK, Monty's Instrument Food is popular, but I'm unsure if it's suitable for use on a vintage fretboard with celluloid fretboard markings.

2. Body finish
The finish is nicely aged, glossy, and exhibits abundant checking, with some chips and flaking around the pickguard screw area, which I'm content with and not seeking to refinish. However, there are numerous tiny dirt/grime spots and smears from prior cleaning attempts that resist removal. I'm seeking a product to safely eliminate this grime without damaging the finish, with the added benefit of enhancing its glossy sheen if possible.

3. Faded top
The guitar's top is noticeably more faded than the back and sides. Is there a way to restore it without risking damage to the finishes?

5. Chrome/nickel tailpiece
The guitar features a Hofner "Compensator" tailpiece, but I'm unsure if it's chrome, nickel, or another material. It's currently covered in smears. Is there a suitable product for cleaning it without having to remove it from the body?

Many thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair