The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM

Default Very Light Picking K&K vs Baggs Element

I have a couple of guitars with two pickups installed, a K&K Pure Mini and a Baggs Element. Each has its strong points, depending on the environment. Switching between the two I hear the obvious differences in tone but I get the impression (and this may be subjective) that the K&K is noticeably more responsive to light fingerpicking than the undersaddle Baggs, which to me has a sharper decline in volume as the attack is decreased. The K&K seems to have a more gradual, longer fade to zero. This may go unnoticed in most cases but when playing onstage through a PA with monitors it's the impression I get. Again, I may be totally wrong about this, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:46 AM

I'd say that's a fair comparison, but it may not be enough for many to notice. I'd say what you're hearing is the energy of the top after the string has set it in motion, so it's reasonable to predict a longer decay for that portion of the noted tone.

Also be aware that having both of these pickups on the same guitar is going to effect the K&K Pure to a larger degree. The Element is a relatively "soft" cable that's going to prevent some of the strings energy from being coupled to the transducers. A solid saddle is going to transfer more of the strings energy to the SBT.

The actual difference may be audibly undetectable to the player, but it's part of the physics of how string energy is imparted to the SBT.

I've had an Element in the past and it's not one of my favorites. I've built a few short scale bass guitars and use them for the under saddle pickup. They oddly work well for that purpose. It's good for me because of the number of used ones that new owners pull out of Gibson acoustics. I've bought 4 of them "almost new" and all under $50.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-25-2024 at 08:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification