The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM

As others have said you can find used OMs in great condition from makers like Santa Cruz and Collings for around $2000 nowadays - I'd be checking the classifieds at the Collings and Santa Cruz Forums, UMGF, and here of course.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

A used Collings with a big scratch. A used Tony Yamamoto OM is a great value. Mine is for sale, doesn't mean I don't love it. I just have many nice OM's and I have Luthier supply needs. Mine or someone elses Yamamoto knows how to make a great fingerstyle guitar.
Save a fortune; Yamaha LS6 is a wonderful OM sized, handmade guitar. Engleman Solid top, High quality Laminated back and sides (thin layers for strength no fill woods). Buy that one and go on vacation for a week in the islands for what you have left of your budget.
Larrivee makes great guitars, not a fan personally of the Satin guitars.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Martin OM-21 Special.
+1 on this.

-Glenn
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Can't knock Santa Cruz OM's. Find a good used on and you'll be fine. You can get a new Breedlove Revival OMM ( mahogany, satin finish) for that price used too. Pretty nice guitar.

A good OM can change you forever. In a good way.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Cool

I have a Epi Masterbilt EF500R that is just terrific! It garners praise for it's sound everywhere I go! Decenent price usrd.
Washburn D61SW (Rosie)Gone to St Croix
Box full of Suzuki Harmonicas

I never saw a purple cow,but I can't rule it out.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Here's a cheap OM guitar.
Recording King RO 26...solid mahogany, engleman, 1-3/4 @ nut, 2-3/8 at the bridge, deep V neck.

Great 4 fingerpicking, and it strums nicely as well.

Last edited by sam9D; 11-04-2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 AM

Another couple of votes for the Martin OM-28V or the OM-21 Special, both within the range after msrp discounts.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM

There are a number of very inexpensive guitars these days that sound great. Value is something that is hard to quantify, because it depends on too many factors. If you want to keep and enjoy your guitar, then resale has very little to do with it. If you change guitars every few months, then you want a respected brand name like Martin on the headstock.. If you want both, then I would think brand name would take priority.
Anyway, I just got an Eastman AC710 and it was inexpensive.. not cheap. It just really spoke to me and was comfortable. Resale and cost recovery will not be as easy as it would be with a Martin, but the value of this guitar lies elsewhere.
Just my musing..
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 AM

For me, the best bang for the buck OM is the Martin OM-21. Amazing deep and rich sound.

cheers,
Stephane.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
martin om-21.
Amazing how often that guitar is suggested as "best bang for your buck". It was also one of Big Bill Broonzy's guitars of choice. I really wish I could get to play one.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Amazing how often that guitar is suggested as "best bang for your buck". It was also one of Big Bill Broonzy's guitars of choice. I really wish I could get to play one.
The OM-21 is one of those guitars with which you are paying purely for the sound and playability but not paying more for aesthetics and adornments. It is nice enough looking but rather plain, and all the effort goes into what matters most.

Jim
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM

At 1500-2500 new, for strictly finger style, a good choice would be the Martin OM-21, otherwise I would go for a Larrivee OM-09. If you prefer Mahogany than the Larrivee OM-05 is unbeatable.

Used, you can't go wrong with a Martin OM-28, OM-28V, OM-21, OM-21 Special, 000-28V, Larrivee OM-09, OM-05, OM-60, OM-50, Santa Cruz OM, OMPW, or any Lowden.

There are dozens more of course but I chose to list only guitars I have personally owned, and that are readily available.

Good luck,

Ted
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 AM

thanks guys for the recommendations ... what is this "pre-war" thing I keep reading about?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Can't knock Santa Cruz OM's. Find a good used on and you'll be fine. You can get a new Breedlove Revival OMM ( mahogany, satin finish) for that price used too. Pretty nice guitar.

A good OM can change you forever. In a good way.
I agree....with all especially the revival OMM part...I got one, far as bang for the buck....it was my choice. frank
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM

I think the "pre-war thing" is this: Santa Cruz started building a non-bling OM based on the specs of the pre-war Martin OM. Thus: OM/PW. I bought one for my sister years ago....it is a terrific instrument. There is a lot of great advice in this thread. Bottom line: Get out and play some. Something will speak to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion