The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-01-2023, 06:16 AM
Musical minimalist

The other big factor in how your guitar sounds is temperature.

In the winter, my house is typically around 62 degrees....probably 15 degrees cooler than the midsummer.

There is quite a difference in the way lightly built instruments sound at the respective temperatures.

Old 12-01-2023, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post

The lighter the build, the more tonal fluctuations you'll experience. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. But, yeah, nothing like playing a great guitar in the "30s!" Enjoy!
Amen and amen. Here in Maine we go from RH humidity readings in summer in the 70's to the low 20's in winter. Right now we are in the sweet spot - 39-45%.

This past week, I have heard a distinct change in the voices of my guitars. They are sweeter and just "breathe" more easily. And none more so than my Merrill OM18, which is a very lightly built, feather weight. I'd say it sounds so much "drier" as the air gets drier. Even the action has moved dramatically - from about 2.75mm on the 6th to about 2mm. Two weeks ago I was concerned that I might have to consider a neck reset. Nope, just a humidity reset. On the other hand, the action on my Froggy Bottom H12, which is a robust build, has not change discernably, though the voice is less congested.

And OP, congrats on your Heinonen. I have not had the pleasure of playing one of Drew's guitars but surely look forward to it.

David
Old 12-01-2023, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
So it WAS a humidity-related issue, Merlemantel! Nice to realize why your guitar is being so finicky, right?

The lighter the build, the more tonal fluctuations you'll experience. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. But, yeah, nothing like playing a great guitar in the "30s!" Enjoy!
Yes, amazing to me, it truly was. I am impressed again at just how organic guitars are. Which is a large part of why I love them. They cross that intersection of nature and beauty in a tangible, hold it in your arms, expressive way. I honestly cannot get enough of them as an idea, as a form of expression.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
The other big factor in how your guitar sounds is temperature.

In the winter, my house is typically around 62 degrees....probably 15 degrees cooler than the midsummer.

There is quite a difference in the way lightly built instruments sound at the respective temperatures.
Yes!! I am wondering (and worrying) about this. My home sits between 66 in the day, and 61 at night, during the winter. I have my guitar in its calton case when I am not playing it, and I store it in the room with the most stable temp. But that said, the temp does vary by 6 or 7 degrees day to night. I have a sensor in my case, and I do see fluctuations over the 24 hour period in that band of temps. Should I worry or do something about that? TIA
Old 12-01-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Yes!! I am wondering (and worrying) about this. My home sits between 66 in the day, and 61 at night, during the winter. I have my guitar in its calton case when I am not playing it, and I store it in the room with the most stable temp. But that said, the temp does vary by 6 or 7 degrees day to night. I have a sensor in my case, and I do see fluctuations over the 24 hour period in that band of temps. Should I worry or do something about that? TIA
I've always been of the thought that the temp changes were not nearly as much a thing to consider as was the RH changes.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I've always been of the thought that the temp changes were not nearly as much a thing to consider as was the RH changes.
That is comforting.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:40 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Not my experience at all. Of course my humidity remains as stable as possible here in the frozen north. It's a full time job with 4 guitars!

Old 12-01-2023, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not my experience at all. Of course my humidity remains as stable as possible here in the frozen north. It's a full time job with 4 guitars!
So are you saying that temp changes are worrying?
Old 12-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
So are you saying that temp changes are worrying?
Within reason, not so much with structure, but it certainly can affect the tone.

My guitars become a little less responsive when they get around 60 degrees as opposed to 75. About 10 years ago I was living in a home that was VERY hard to heat and I kept it even cooler than where I am now. It had floor to ceiling windows and I'd set my guitars out on the stand with the sun coming in on them for a few minutes before I'd play them for this reason.

Disclaimer though - I have dog ears and hear everything! Blessing and a curse.....and the reason I've had 250 guitars pass through my closet!

Old 12-01-2023, 02:25 PM
Musical minimalist

By the way - I remember one instance where the effect of the temp went the other way.

Elderly had a Walnut/Engelmann Goodall CJ that had just come in. I drove down, took one of my guitars along to A/B and went into the lesson rooms downstairs to play it for about an hour.

I loved it for it's crispness and string separation (not typical of my overall Goodall experience) and took it home.

The next day I pulled it out and played it a bunch - and the more I played it the more tubby and flabby it sounded (sorry - not great words!) What I mean to say is it lost the things I liked about it.

Come to find out when I called them back and asked if it had been stored somewhere on the cold side - and guess what - it was in a room that is around 50 degrees at the store for a while.

Stan was gracious and allowed me to return it.

So, it can affect it - and it can either hurt or help, dependent on your ear!

Old 12-01-2023, 02:43 PM

Here in Seattle we just had a cold and dry snap.

I wasn't paying attention to RH, which most of the year stays in the safe zone.

I picked up my 2020 Irvin custom, which is sensitive to RH change, and it was buzzing a bit. A quick look at the humidity - it was down to 32%.

A day with a room humidifier restored the RH to 37% and the guitar sounded glorious again.

Now we have rain coming through for a week and the RH is trending back up.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-01-2023, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Within reason, not so much with structure, but it certainly can affect the tone.

My guitars become a little less responsive when they get around 60 degrees as opposed to 75. About 10 years ago I was living in a home that was VERY hard to heat and I kept it even cooler than where I am now. It had floor to ceiling windows and I'd set my guitars out on the stand with the sun coming in on them for a few minutes before I'd play them for this reason.

Disclaimer though - I have dog ears and hear everything! Blessing and a curse.....and the reason I've had 250 guitars pass through my closet!
LOL. Thank you. Dog ears... that's funny. I think I have one dog ear, the other one, not so much.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:48 AM

My Keystone (Keisuke Nishi) was exposed to the 85% relative humidity of the tropics and very soon all the overtones and brightness started disappearing leaving only the fundamental notes, very direct. After a few days of dehumidification, it became much livelier and sounded far more complex with a more crystalline top end. So yes I am sure the relative humidity makes a huge difference acrually.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop