The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-06-2023, 06:53 PM

Default Go find another one (Epiphone content)...

From the same time period as the Emperor Concert (three known examples), what may be the only one of its kind - an 18" Zephyr Deluxe Regent from 1950:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_50_zdlxrg_523.html

Before you say "Emperor Zephyr Regent," this one not only came from the factory with two pickups, a 3-way switch, and a friendlier-feeling neck than typical New York-era fare (.83/.98 - in the late-50's Gibson ballpark) but was built a year before the 3-PU electric Emperor was introduced...

A prototype for the big flagship jazzbox, or a legit one-off electric version of the rare 18" Deluxe built only in 1950...?

Joe don't know...

Anyone here have a clue...?
Old 05-07-2023, 06:59 AM

Nice Zephyr Regent!

Only yesterday, a customer dropped off a '50 Epi Deluxe 'special', with the 18-1/2" body, for minor repair(it was his late father's guitar). It had been in the case for decades, with a broken tailpiece, and no one to play it(the son does not play).

Apart from some relatively minor damage from a long-gone decomposed celluloid pickguard(to frets and neck binding), it appears almost new, with no playwear or blemishes. It is gorgeous.

I installed the tailpiece(previously repaired), strung it with medium bronze strings, and...

The sound is unreal. I've owned and repaired many different NY Epis, most of them excellent, but this is the first Emperor-size example I've played. It's loud, of course, with a full, lush tone. The neck is straight, and the frets play well. The workmanship is lovely, as are the woods, spruce top and figured maple back, sides, and neck. What a treat.

I'd post photos, but don't see how.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
...I'd post photos, but don't see how.
PM one of the mods for instructions - there's only a handful in existence, and we need to see that one here...

BTW you're right on the money about those big-body Epi comp boxes, favored for their ability to project to the back row of a 3000-seat house in the days before amplification...

For those who may not be familiar with the broad range of dynamics/tone color available from a good archtop here's one of my favorites of the younger-generation players, fellow AGF'er Jonathan Stout (AKA CampusFive) showing how it's done - and precisely why those New York-era 18" Epiphone Emperors were so renowned for their acoustic cutting power:

On the other hand, many of the old-timers referred to their own (different) archtop technique as "coaxing the velvet out" - extracting that warm, rich, creamy, woody, "tone you can eat with a spoon" from what could, in the hands of a lesser player, be solely a strident and steely-sounding instrument, to the ears of some lacking in dynamic range and character. While both approaches have their place and time (and a well-rounded archtop player should be familiar with both) I always preferred the latter: Romain Vuillemin provides a perfect example of that full, lush tone you describe here, on similar instruments to those used by Messrs. Stout and Rossi, and offering a strong contrast to their edgier, punchier style:

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-08-2023, 07:49 AM

I did look up 'how to post photos', but unfortunately, it just seems too much bother. Other sites allow direct uploading of photos from one's device or laptop, which is simple and quick to do.

I have posted photos of the Deluxe, on the 'NY Epiphone Group' FB page.

Last edited by Dave Richard; 05-11-2023 at 08:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops