The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The magic question is, How does one know which piece(s) of wood the documentation refers to?
Scout's honor?

Pinky swear?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Or a rental program - don't see this listed as a no-no either.....
That's genius Todd!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I guess there will be a lot of family members receiving some reeeeeely nice guitars in the not so distant future.
Are you adopting?

I can always hide some of them there guitars in Texas for ya.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 PM

This is just messed up.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
B_U_M_M_E_R ... is all I can say at this point. I guess there will be a lot of family members receiving some reeeeeely nice guitars in the not so distant future. Perhaps we should start a bartering program? I did not see that mentioned ... as being outlawed ... YET!
Tim remember that discussion we had about the wood in my guitar…maybe it was African Blackwood!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

The original question was how this would affect the landscape of american lutherie. Pretty minimally, I think. This has been on the books and coming down the pipe for over 20 years now - so no surprises for anyone there. Near identical rules have been in place in europe for some time, and there are still luthiers busy working over there. Anyone who has invested alot of money in braz rw should be on top of all this - just like anyone who invests alot of money in anything. This is a harbinger of what our future holds with many materials that are scarce, or rare, or endangered, and we all need to figure out how we're going to make it work. And anyone who doesn't want to deal with it all can choose from many hundreds of other materials to build with -

I certainly am not trying to sound holier in this debate - I am just as concerned as many others, since I have 2 braz rw guitars, one that I know I can't get any docs on since its a handbuilt, older and the builder is out of biz, and one that I intend to follow up with a question for the small shop to see if they've gotten any plan together to assist past purchasers of their braz instruments a way to obtain some kind of documentation. I expect that those of us that bought second hand may have some additional costs to obtain this, and I also expect that guitars with this documentation will sell for more than those without. This may just become a problem for my estate - someday -

In truth, I think Bruce has the best question - how are they going to link the documentation to sets, boards, reclaimed material, or even logs, that don't have serial numbers or unique identifiers? And what kind of paperwork will a buyer need to get to protect their investment in a new build? I guess I'd think the luthier community would be best off putting a plan together so we as players could offer our support in getting the government to approve it, rather than trying to undo something poorly developed they'll put in place.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
B_U_M_M_E_R ... is all I can say at this point. I guess there will be a lot of family members receiving some reeeeeely nice guitars in the not so distant future. Perhaps we should start a bartering program? I did not see that mentioned ... as being outlawed ... YET!
That's actually a pretty good idea.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Are you adopting?

I can always hide some of them there guitars in Texas for ya.
I thought we already did? Perhaps you just lost the paperwork?
Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Tim remember that discussion we had about the wood in my guitar…maybe it was African Blackwood!
Since my memory is fading faster than I care to admit, I'll take your word for it.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:32 AM

BRW stands for Belizean rosewood.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 PM

The problem of linking the certified wood to the guitar is not such a big issue. As I understand it, you get a certificate that covers the wood you expect to use within the next three years. This will be so many sets; let's say ten for purposes of discussion. You get to sell ten BRW guitars in the next three years. If you want to sell more, you need another certificate. In theory, I suppose, you could certify some BRW that was impossible to build with, and then make the actual guitars from other sets of wood. If you think the F&WS is really credulous, you might try using the same ten sets of lousy wood to get the next certificate. Maybe you'll even get away with it. Wanna roll the dice?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Alan, who owns ten sets of lousy BRW? Anyway, you made my point, thank you.

This is as good a time as any to admit that the "Stumpwood" is not, and never was Dalbergia nigra. Looks like it, but doesn't smell like it at all. Those of you have have worked actual BRW know what I'm talking about. I call this stuff South American Brownwood, and if you search the forum for that you will see that I have been doing that for some time. It is very stable, makes great guitars, and is rare as can be, especially quartersawn like most of mine, and I'll continue to offer it as a great upgrade.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Alan, who owns ten sets of lousy BRW? Anyway, you made my point, thank you.

This is as good a time as any to admit that the "Stumpwood" is not, and never was Dalbergia nigra. Looks like it, but doesn't smell like it at all. Those of you have have worked actual BRW know what I'm talking about. I call this stuff South American Brownwood, and if you search the forum for that you will see that I have been doing that for some time. It is very stable, makes great guitars, and is rare as can be, especially quartersawn like most of mine, and I'll continue to offer it as a great upgrade.

Yeah, I've got a guitar coming with some "tropical brownwood", or something like that.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Yeah, I've got a guitar coming with some "tropical brownwood", or something like that.
"Crafted with select tropical hardwoods."
Old 05-30-2014, 02:18 PM

Does it only have to "Look" like BRW to be confiscated and the burden of proof as to what it is falls on the owner? If the label says "Tropical Brownwood" and they say it's Brazilian. You still have a problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop