The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 AM

Default What is a good electric guitar to start learning on?

Hi,
I am looking for the buying guitar, is electric guitar is good for the beginner? Is it good to start learning?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 AM

If you want to start on the electric, then go with a Squire Strat Standard along with a Fender Frontman 25R combo amp. The guitar goes for $225.00 brand new and the amp sells for $99.99. But if you go to www.Guitarcenter.com and click on their used gear section , chances are you'll be able to get a used Standard Strat for around $100- $150.00 and a used FM 25R for within the $49-$60.00 range.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Hey Frey - Welcome to the AGF. Is there a specific type of music you'll be playing and favorite bands? For example, country vs rock vs metal vs etc.?

There are so many options out there that it can be confusing. To generalize, if you want something that will give a heavy distortion sound (Metallica) you'll want a guitar with humbuckers in it. If you're looking at music like Stevie Ray Vaughan then a single coil is better suited.

One note, the amp is a significant part of your overall tone so factor in an amp as well.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM

I say non-tremolo for stable tuning while learning and a Telecaster can have a neck angle adjusted alot easier than a Les Paul copy. So I vote for G&L ASAT tribute classic. Great electronics on those import's.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 AM

One of the cheap ibanez semi hollowbodies IMO. They play and sound pretty good. You will still get some instrument resonance.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

An epiphone SG (or SG 400) is cheap and very comfortable.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
You will still get some instrument resonance.
Ahh. ....very good point for practicing without an amp. Where were you when I was starting out and bought a Cort Strat copy in 1985?!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM

If you're not in a hurry and don't want to scour your local Craigslist, the Christmas starter guitar packages should be hitting the stores soon.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Most of the folks I talk to (including myself) started out on acoustic guitars and that's what I'd start my boys on if they chose to learn.
  1. It's a lot more simple; all you buy is a guitar
  2. Not needing an amp makes casual practice more likely
  3. Acoustic works best with beginner music that's usually strummed
  4. You can always pick up a electic and amp once you've learned basic chords and scales
There are lots of decent, low cost acoustic guitars to choose from. Blueridge, Recording King, Eastman, Epiphone Masterbilt, and Seagull are good ones to look at. Just make sure to have a professional set-up done before you take one home.

Good luck. For me, learning guitar has been trans-formative. I hope it brings joy to your life too.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Other than talking to myself I'll concur with all of Blunote's points, to which I'll add the fact that you'll always have use for a good-quality acoustic guitar, no matter what style of music you choose to learn. That said, you might want to post over on the General Acoustic Guitar forum as well; you might also consider giving us a price range so we can better help you make a wise decision...

Good luck...
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffo46 View Post
If you want to start on the electric, then go with a Squire Strat Standard along with a Fender Frontman 25R combo amp. The guitar goes for $225.00 brand new and the amp sells for $99.99. But if you go to www.Guitarcenter.com and click on their used gear section , chances are you'll be able to get a used Standard Strat for around $100- $150.00 and a used FM 25R for within the $49-$60.00 range.
Hey,
Yes, I want to start with electronic guitar, Thanks for the recommending such a great brands to learn guitar. It is also affordable for me.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
Most of the folks I talk to (including myself) started out on acoustic guitars and that's what I'd start my boys on if they chose to learn.
  1. It's a lot more simple; all you buy is a guitar
  2. Not needing an amp makes casual practice more likely
  3. Acoustic works best with beginner music that's usually strummed
  4. You can always pick up a electic and amp once you've learned basic chords and scales
There are lots of decent, low cost acoustic guitars to choose from. Blueridge, Recording King, Eastman, Epiphone Masterbilt, and Seagull are good ones to look at. Just make sure to have a professional set-up done before you take one home.

Good luck. For me, learning guitar has been trans-formative. I hope it brings joy to your life too.
Yes, thanks...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 AM

So much to choose from. Just make sure it's set up well and plays good and in tune. The rest is up to you.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
So much to choose from. Just make sure it's set up well and plays good and in tune. The rest is up to you.
+1.

Frey: watch out for cheap tremolo (vibrato) systems, i.e. whammy bar, on guitars, it'll make it difficult to keep the guitar in tune.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I think a telecaster is good to start on. The controls are very basic and it is a very honest guitar and doesn't hide mistakes. A Squire is a good choice, though honestly, if you search used you can find a nice MIM tele for around $250 to $300. If you get a thinline version you can play it acoustically. Though, it won't be as loud as a full hollowbody electric archtop.

Another option is an Epiphone DOT series. Fairly cheap and sound pretty good too!

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars