The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM

Default L00 non blues users

I know the l00 is typically pigeonholed as one of the premiere blues guitar styles, but after realizing Jim Croce wrote quite a bit with one I'm curious. Who else is known to have used one that wasn't a bluesman.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 AM

This rather obscure non-Bluesman.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
This rather obscure non-Bluesman.

Looks like a weirdo

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 AM

Justin Townes Earle seems to really like his Loar LO-16 L-00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCm7B7Xv04g

I wonder if the blues association with that body shape is more tied to the ladder bracing that used to be common in that style? Nowadays there are lots of L-00 shapes that come with modern bracing, so I'm doubtful there's really much of a special L-00 tone with the modern models.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I believe it's Rodney Crowell's guitar of choice

Some guitars
Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 AM

Opinion Alert!

Any guitar pigeon-holed as a blues guitar (i.e. a guitar acquired by a modern guitarist as a blues guitar) seldom has anything to do with playing the blues, ladder bracing or otherwise. Those that play the blues because they live them play them on any guitar at hand, and don't lay those guitars down and pick up something else when they aren't playing the blues.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:37 AM

Is this one that Sean Lennon is playing here?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
Justin Townes Earle seems to really like his Loar LO-16 L-00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCm7B7Xv04g

I wonder if the blues association with that body shape is more tied to the ladder bracing that used to be common in that style? Nowadays there are lots of L-00 shapes that come with modern bracing, so I'm doubtful there's really much of a special L-00 tone with the modern models.

JD
Seriously? That's a $349 guitar! Please pardon my ignorance. I'm only asking because I played a 1936 Gibson L-00 once and fell in love with it. But then I saw how much they cost and quickly told myself to fall out of love with it again.

If these small body Loars sound similar, I would totally get one.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
Opinion Alert!

Any guitar pigeon-holed as a blues guitar (i.e. a guitar acquired by a modern guitarist as a blues guitar) seldom has anything to do with playing the blues, ladder bracing or otherwise. Those that play the blues because they live them play them on any guitar at hand, and don't lay those guitars down and pick up something else when they aren't playing the blues.
I agree whole heartedly I just thought it would be fun to who else uses these for other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Seriously? That's a $349 guitar! Please pardon my ignorance. I'm only asking because I played a 1936 Gibson L-00 once and fell in love with it. But then I saw how much they cost and quickly told myself to fall out of love with it again.

I haven't had a chance to try one but from the buzz these are supposed to be quite nice especially for the price.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I use a Collings C10 for a number of types of music, blues and otherwise. Punchy sound but a good high end also.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Granted you can play blues on any guitar but the the sound usually associated with blues is a more muted/dull sound rather than a bright sound of say someone playing American fingerstyle.
Ive played a couple of those Loars and they put out that blues type of sound. If you want to really go blues sound go Stella.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Granted you can play blues on any guitar but the the sound usually associated with blues is a more muted/dull sound rather than a bright sound of say someone playing American fingerstyle.
Ive played a couple of those Loars and they put out that blues type of sound. If you want to really go blues sound go Stella.
You're still talking about a blues guitar putting out that blues type of sound, but there's no such thing. Guitars sound like guitars. It's only playing the blues from feeling the blues that really sounds like the blues. Arrgghh...Never mind...

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 04-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
You're still talking about a blues guitar putting out that blues type of sound, but there's no such thing. Guitars sound like guitars. It's only playing the blues from feeling the blues that really sounds like the blues. Arrgghh...Never mind...
Everybody gets what you're trying to say, no need to get worked up about it.

That doesn't change the fact that people will associate a certain type of tone with their favorite blues musician(s), and that there will be certain types of guitars that are more predisposed to providing that type of tone, whatever it is.

For example, Lightnin Hopkins recorded much of his material on a J-50, so any guitar that provides a similar woody, mahogany thump is going to sound blues-y to a lot of people. The L-00 kinda fills in the realm between Lightnin's J-50 and the smaller boxier sounding parlors that pervade a lot of early blues music, so no wonder people associate it with that genre.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post

I picked up a Loar LO-16 a couple of months ago...I sure can't play like Justin Townes Earle, but it's a d@mn nice guitar for the money...
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM

Big fan of L-00 guitars, with some caveats. I think the reason that they're often overlooked is that they tend to be very midrangey, and aren't necessarily the best choice for vocal accompaniment. The idea that smaller bodied guitars are quieter than bigger bodies is, in my opinion, a myth. A good L-00 will be plenty loud, they just have a "shoutier" quality than their bigger cousins.

With regard to Justin Townes Earle, he makes that guitar sound great. That said, when a guitar is plugged in you can do a lot with EQ and effects... the best acoustic (unplugged) guitars aren't always the best stage guitars.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion