The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 AM

Places to meet up?

Try contacting your city parks and rec department to see if they have a place. The community center is open to the public and owned by the citizens, so its likely they will allow you to use some space on a Saturday. If there is a senior center that might work, especially if you intend to have an all inclusive guitar circle.

Weather permitting a specific spot in a city park might work. Probably not so good for Indy and other weather challenged places.

If your up for some phone work, try calling senior living facilities to see if they have guitar players in residence and are open to starting a guitar circle for them and others on a regular basis.

Some shopping malls have community rooms. This will be more of a challenge due to risk management issues, but its worth a try and a phone call.

The American Legion Post in Newport Beach, CA has been open to guitar circles but recently closed the doors to new membership which may have put an end to that. The guitar circle played on a patio overlooking the bay. Probably one of the best places to play in NPB. Check with your local service organizations with facilities to see if they are willing to host guitar circles. If they say no, ask them to survey the membership. I'll be there are some members that would say yes.

Long shot.... The bar my band plays quite often offered to have us come in on Sunday afternoon for our rehearsals.

Good luck.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

Last edited by Tahitijack; 04-27-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: addional thought
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM

I moved to a smallish city and would love to meet some relaxed people for jamming and maybe a bit of gigging. But pretty much all the ads and sites are geared toward metalheads, and the older acoustic folks seem to be well settled. It's pretty difficult to break into this insider scene for sure.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I started out with a Meetup group when I began playing 3 years ago. Met lots of friendly players, learned much, joined a smaller group once a week. I then moved to a small town in Northern Calif. where I didn't know anyone. Checked out Meetups in this area with no luck.
One morning while walking my dog I ran into another dog walker with a Collings guitar hat on. Struck up a conversation and began meeting other players through the same circumstances. I began wearing a tee shirt with a guitar related logo while walking and it brought the subject out with others. We now have about a dozen players from my neighborhood meeting at my home every Wed. nite. Great fun. Very diverse music tastes. Mostly guitars, but we also have a mandolin and banjo player, and a new neighbor coming by this week with her violin. Hope to make her a fiddle player. I think you just need to make yourself known around your area in a subtle way, bring it up casually in conversations with people you run into, and be open to giving each opportunity a try.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM

Although taking a break from formal lessons (need more practice and less instruction), my instructor is introducing me to similarly inept guitar players to start a weekly play group. You might consider contacting some local lesson centers to round up some folks.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Start a club of your own. Expand to open mic nights.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks for all the input. As a relative beginner I'm not yet up for performing at Open Mics, or leading any event. I've found a local pub that does do an Open Mic, so will pop along and see what it's all about (without my guitar!).

I've also joined a UK centric forum, so we'll see if that opens up any opportunities.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
Thanks for all the input. As a relative beginner I'm not yet up for performing at Open Mics, or leading any event. I've found a local pub that does do an Open Mic, so will pop along and see what it's all about (without my guitar!).

I've also joined a UK centric forum, so we'll see if that opens up any opportunities.
Hey Whale,

(I'm guessing you have a PRS?) If you ever get to the NW suburbs of Chicago shoot me a PM. I'll jam with you. And I can introduce you to lots of talented musicians thousands, and thousands of miles from where you live.

MODS - any luck on my first post above

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 04-27-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Worth saying up-front - I'm in the UK - but all ideas welcomed.

This question is inspired by a comment in the "What would you do differently?" thread.

Can anyone recommend any good ways to go about finding other people to play/practise with? I know open mics are popular in the States, but here in the UK they seem to be less common, and I don't see one near me - besides, at this point I've not achieved the levels required to perform in public.

I'd like to get together with other beginners to intermediate level players, and would welcome anyone who understood the general level I'm aiming at. The basic idea would be to encourage development, and to do some basic jamming.

I'd be happy to take turns hosting a regular evening, but I've no idea how to find like-minded folk?

I'm in the south of England, west of London, so there must be tons of people out there who'd be interested. Half an idea would be to hire a room at a public venue to avoid the obvious problems of getting a group of strangers together, at least initially, but that seems quite a faff.

Thoughts? Have you managed to do this yourself? If there are good reasons NOT to pursue this let me know those too!

Thanks.
Mention to one of your local clubs that hosting an open mic might get some better visibility. Volunteer to run it.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM

I was fortunate enough to stumble onto a Folk Music Society. Big Jams, Little Jams, fingerstyle, parties, events, etc., whatever you like.

Look for something like that, or start one.

Sample:
http://www.columbusfolkmusicsociety.org/

This group has been around a while and while having that small group feel has a large membership and great variety of events.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberczel View Post
nice initiative. where do you guys end up jamming? my concern with starting something up is that i don't really have a place that's suitable to jamming.
You could go to the park on a nice day and play there.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 AM

My vote is for meetup.com. They are world wide. If there's nothing in you immediate area that satisfy's your needs you can start your own group which is what I did 8 years ago. We now have close to 500 members and I never have a problem finding someone to jam with.

Martin 000-18GE, Rainsong CH-OM, Rainsong Vintage OM
Kopp NL, Kinscherff Concert,
Journey OF660
Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 AM

I know some folks are concerned about privacy issues, but when members fail to identify their location and complain they can't find anyone to jam with, it gets a laugh from me.

So, it you don't want to say the city where you live, at least tell us the closest major town or general area (Seattle/Pacific Northwest). You might find some of us live near you and are interested in playing some songs.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Worth saying up-front - I'm in the UK - but all ideas welcomed...

I'm in the south of England, west of London..
Quote:
...FWIW I'm actually out near Reading, rather than in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
I know some folks are concerned about privacy issues, but when members fail to identify their location and complain they can't find anyone to jam with, it gets a laugh from me.

So, it you don't want to say the city where you live, at least tell us the closest major town or general area (Seattle/Pacific Northwest). You might find some of us live near you and are interested in playing some songs.
It's all in the thread!

Thanks for the offer - genuinely - but you're a little too far...!

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-30-2015, 06:09 AM

Hi Ian,
Like many others have mentioned, I have found meetups.com to be good. As you live in Reading you have one of the best acoustic guitarists as a neighbour, Duck Baker. I'm sure you could give him a call.
Good luck,
Malcolm
Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Hi Ian,
Like many others have mentioned, I have found meetups.com to be good. As you live in Reading you have one of the best acoustic guitarists as a neighbour, Duck Baker. I'm sure you could give him a call.
Good luck,
Malcolm
Malcolm, just noticed your post - thanks. I will look into meetups.com a bit further if nothing else comes up to forge some links.

I just Googled Duck - seems quite a talent! I guess I'm looking to find fellow beginners though, I don't think I'd fit into Duck's circles too well

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion