The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 AM

Exclamation To the mods..

To The Mods...

Perhaps a need has just been articulated that AGF could support?

A section for folks wanting to find others to jam with in their locales?

Surely it can be done, and it might have near global benefits.

Just a thought!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
To The Mods...

Just a thought!

Chris
Definitely worth a look at.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Try Meetup

I belong to a MEETUP group, I googled and they have them in the UK. Check your area. We get together at least 6 times a year depending on who can host. Always informal and open to all levels of play. We are an "Acoustic" meetup group so that lowers the sound level somewhat. Check it out.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM

Hi Ian,

There are tutors in Reading that do small group lessons (I did a seearch). Maybe worth a punt to meet up with some like-minded people?

It may or may not work as an idea, but as you in your OP: 'Any suggestions?'.

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Fundamentally, this is networking, and it works like any other form of networking. The more people who know you are a musician, and the more people that know your are looking for band mates, the more successful you will be, but you have to put yourself out there.

I take lessons; I am constantly asking my instructor about other students who have musical interests that dovetail with my own. I push my instructor to organize open jams (and I help with the logistics) so that I can meet potential band mates. I have found several like-minded musicians this way, and my last band was built like this.

I talk to people in music (instrument) stores. If they are in a music store, they are probably interested in playing music, and they might be looking for a band.

I go watch other musicians and try to network with existing bands. Musicians know musicians.

I tell everyone I know what I play and that I am looking for band mates now that my old band has disintegrated. You never know who might know a struggling drummer, because, let's be honest, every drummer is struggling...

It really is about networking; you have to generate leads and follow up on leads. It isn't as much fun as practicing, but it is highly unlikely that prospective band mates are just going to walk up to you or walk into your living room. You have to be proactive.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:00 PM

I feel your pain. Have you tried http://www.meetup.com ?
(I just noticed post #18, mentioned the same site.)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:09 PM

Many churches and synagogues have a "house band" for lack of a better term, and are usually pretty welcoming and forgiving toward beginners.

It would provide yet another potential avenue for you along with the some of the other suggestions that have been made.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM

Everyone has covered my usual suggestions:
Churches with strong praise and worship music programs - show up early on Sunday or stay after service to chat with the musicians. They probably learned their skills playing jazz, blues and rock and wouldn't mind spending some time hanging out for fun...or possibly to form a band.

Colleges with music departments - call the department chair and tell them your story and ask for help and advice. If they have a bulletin board post a card and check it every two week...they disappear.

Friends and Family - this is like looking for a job. Make certain everyone you know is aware you play guitar and are looking for others to join in the fun. True story: when I moved to Seattle I told my realtor I needed a music room. She said her husband played drums....long story short he and I were in a band playing gigs in a couple of months. I eventually found my neighbor had a studio in his home and did music for local commercials. Another neighbor played folk music.

You never know - I wear Fender, Gibson and Taylor hats and t-shirts from time to time. I almost always get asked about it, which leads to talking gear and music with a stranger.

Good luck.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 PM

The suggestions to check out the local "meetup" groups prompted me to do just that, only to find that even in a metro area as large as Indianapolis, the only music-related meetup group there is right now is purely for ukuleles.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
Worth saying up-front - I'm in the UK - but all ideas welcomed.

This question is inspired by a comment in the "What would you do differently?" thread.

Can anyone recommend any good ways to go about finding other people to play/practise with? I know open mics are popular in the States, but here in the UK they seem to be less common, and I don't see one near me - besides, at this point I've not achieved the levels required to perform in public.

I'd like to get together with other beginners to intermediate level players, and would welcome anyone who understood the general level I'm aiming at. The basic idea would be to encourage development, and to do some basic jamming.

I'd be happy to take turns hosting a regular evening, but I've no idea how to find like-minded folk?

I'm in the south of England, west of London, so there must be tons of people out there who'd be interested. Half an idea would be to hire a room at a public venue to avoid the obvious problems of getting a group of strangers together, at least initially, but that seems quite a faff.

Thoughts? Have you managed to do this yourself? If there are good reasons NOT to pursue this let me know those too!

Thanks.
I had great luck in Los Angeles on meetup.com, but I don't know if that website covers the UK. If it does, definitely check it out.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
The suggestions to check out the local "meetup" groups prompted me to do just that, only to find that even in a metro area as large as Indianapolis, the only music-related meetup group there is right now is purely for ukuleles.
Start your own. Somebody in my neighborhood started a community group of acoustic musicians, of which I'm a member. The response has been quite good and we've been together over two years. People come and go, but we have a core group who play regularly. We also do occasional shows. A wide range of talents and everybody is welcome.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 AM

Already mentioned above: Meetup Groups, but also look at Facebook groups for musicians.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-guild-d40 View Post
Start your own. Somebody in my neighborhood started a community group of acoustic musicians, of which I'm a member. The response has been quite good and we've been together over two years. People come and go, but we have a core group who play regularly. We also do occasional shows. A wide range of talents and everybody is welcome.
nice initiative. where do you guys end up jamming? my concern with starting something up is that i don't really have a place that's suitable to jamming.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I was going to suggest this also. Meetup.com is how I found out about several local bluegrass and ukulele jams in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoslim View Post
I belong to a MEETUP group, I googled and they have them in the UK. Check your area. We get together at least 6 times a year depending on who can host. Always informal and open to all levels of play. We are an "Acoustic" meetup group so that lowers the sound level somewhat. Check it out.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
To The Mods...

Just a thought!

Chris
I started a thread a while back suggesting that AGF have a forum for musicians to get together.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=303236

The idea was well received but it hasn't happened.
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion