The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinbeene View Post
If you could go back in time what THING would you do differently when learning the Acoustic guitar ?
I would have focused my practice to achieve what singer-songwriters were doing with the guitar and less what great solo players were doing.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM

Default regrets?

1) Scales. (They bore me, but I would have progressed far faster had I practiced them)

2) Get a teacher. (Cuts both ways: I would have progressed much faster, but would not be able to brag about being entirely self-taught.)

3) Spent more time playing with others. (This has exposed me to more types of music and more ways of playing, which in turn has led to improvement in what I want to play for myself.)

4) Play out sooner. (I "hid my light under a bushel", not that I ever was all that good, but folks do enjoy it and I shouldn't have been so shy about sharing in this way. It also helps to hone your skills in a way you can't get playing at home or even jamming.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 AM

I wouldn't have gone in reverse order in learning. First I tried to learn to fingerpick, then I tried to learn chords. I can play either way to a point, but it was much harder to learn that way.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:35 AM

I'm self taught as well. To go back and do it again, I would take scale lessons early on instead of waiting until I hit my 50's like I did.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

2 things, never stop playing and learn finger style when I was a teenager instead of just starting with it 10 years ago.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-26-2015, 08:03 AM

Default What would you do differently ?

This is an interesting thread - and as I developed a passion for playing guitar late in life the obvious thing to wish for would be to have started sooner. Much sooner. But when I think about it, there was no time in my life up to now when I had the time , money and freedom from other commitments and enthusiasms to pursue this hobby fully. So I'll take some of the suggestions here and try them now!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
If you could go back in time what THING would you do differently when learning the Acoustic guitar ?
i would probably make the fiddle my main instrument.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Take lessons. I'm completely self-taught, and although I play adequately and can keep up easily in the band, I have some difficulties because I don't know many of the "standard" methods of doing things. I wrote about it in my blog. It's a real pain in the behind, so yes: Take Lessons.
Same here....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 AM

(1) stick with it the first time

(2) have that awful guitar set up
Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Nothing but that doesn't mean I did it the "right" way!

Seriously though I would have never stopped sticking to a practice regime daily (where possible, I know life can get in the way). Also I would have continued to focus on learning songs, not practicing scales or licks.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I'd go back and have my young self ask my parents for a different first "good" guitar.

After starting in 1963 at 12 years old on the Silvertone electric, in 1966 Dad bought me a good guitar. What I wanted at the time & got was an Epiphone Riviera 12 (like a Gibson 335 12 string).

What I'd go back and ask for is the oldest D-28 that amount of money (about $500) could buy in 1966.

That would be nice. Any D28 would be FAR better than an Epi 12 and worth considerably more money now.

In the mid 80's I was offered a '57 Strat for $750. I sure wish I would have purchased that over the Yamaha SG1200 I bought instead, even though the Yammy was a great guitar.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I would have zeroed my focus in on acoustic more and not gone so early to electric. Maybe.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:25 AM

I'd find some other musicians who'd have the same drive as me in achieving a goal, instead of those who gave up real quick or just weren't prepared to spend enough time on it. People with a good sense of rythm and tunes, preferrably even a litlle bit better then me.

Ludwig
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
That would be nice. Any D28 would be FAR better than an Epi 12 and worth considerably more money now.

In the mid 80's I was offered a '57 Strat for $750. I sure wish I would have purchased that over the Yamaha SG1200 I bought instead, even though the Yammy was a great guitar.
While any D-28 from the same era (1966) would be worth more money & would be a better acoustic guitar, the USA made Epiphone electric guitars were on par with their Gibson equivalents in those days.

That Riviera 12 brings between $3000 & $4000 now... a '66 D-28 brings between $4500 & $6500, so not as drastic a difference as one might think, if one didn't know both guitar markets intimately.

Around 1980 I bought a '62 Strat at the flea market for $50... probably shoulda kept it, but I wanted a Dobro, so...
Old 04-26-2015, 10:32 AM

Oh yeah, another thing I'd do differently?

Throughout the '70s, when arguably at the top of my game - a big fish in a large local pond - I should have used all my spare time (I only played music for a living, no day job) learning more lead/flatpicking and pushing a career, using a lot of the contacts I was making in those days... instead of drinking as a spare time occupation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion