The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
Seems like LEGALLY. IF Martin installs even ONE strap button, they are admitting that a strap CAN be used.
If you should not use certain straps with a Martin guitar, why do they put the bottom bout strap button on all of their guitars ?
...because you CAN safely use many straps with it. Plus, we're talking about people storing the strap on top of the guitar, not using the strap.

Quote:
Traditionally, if only one strap button, you tie the other end to the headstock. So they can't say; "We put only one there for looks, and not two, so you wouldn't use a strap".

I think Martin IDS liable unless they show, in writing Specifically not to use certain straps and list those. Or say DO NOT USE ANY STRAP.
See the post right above yours.

It's unfortunate, but he's out of luck on this one. One of those "live and learn" lessons that really stinks to go through.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Martin, as have many other high end instrument makers, has used a nitro-cellulose finish on their instruments for decades.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 04-24-2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: rule #1
Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Seems like LEGALLY...
... is a bad way to start a sentence unless you've actually studied law AND the subject at hand.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Seems like LEGALLY. IF Martin installs even ONE strap button, they are admitting that a strap CAN be used.
If you should not use certain straps with a Martin guitar, why do they put the bottom bout strap button on all of their guitars ? Traditionally, if only one strap button, you tie the other end to the headstock. So they can't say; "We put only one there for looks, and not two, so you wouldn't use a strap".

I think Martin IS liable unless they show, in writing Specifically not to use certain straps and list those. Or say DO NOT USE ANY STRAP.
No manufacturer could list all possible straps that might damage a guitar. Martin's disclaimer is clear, and their attorneys are quite good.

While this should not be construed as legal advice, a strap made of sandpaper, broken glass, or barbed wire might damage a guitar.

To the OP, there are several expert repairmen and builders on this forum. If you could post a photo and give some more detail on how the guitar was stored, they might be able to help. With the information given, there's not much any of us can tell you.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Guest2145

To the OP: This hasn't happened to me, but I can't say that I have ever read through the literature that has come with my guitars, and I can't say that it would have been obvious to me not to leave a strap inside the case. Move on and don't let it bring you down.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
... is a bad way to start a sentence unless you've actually studied law AND the subject at hand.

Folks on this board should have learned by now that matters of law and Martin D28's cannot to be debated with Dave. ;-) You have been warned.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM

The OP did not say he used a strap, only that Martin asked if he had.

Did he or did he not - that it is the question not answered - yet!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:30 PM

Nitro finishes have never impressed me. Too many downsides.

My nitro guitars feel sticky too often.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
It's more accurate to say that some strapmakers make straps that will react poorly with high-end guitars.

-Mike
Bingo! Perfectly stated. Whether or not that happened here is unclear, but it is amazing that "strapmakers" would be so cavalier about selling a product that could very well have a chemical reaction with a standard guitar finish.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully151 View Post
So, you guys that play with straps. Donyou take the strap on and off everytime you play?
On the Gibson, which is Nitro, I take the strap off from one end, leave it tied to the neck, and roll it up above the head. No marks or damage and I've done this 2 years.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM

Will the straps Martin sells damage their guitars?

Doerr/Taylor
Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post

How about if it is not even a sentence but merely a sentence fragment?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully151 View Post
So, you guys that play with straps. Donyou take the strap on and off everytime you play?
Absolutely ! I make my own leather straps out of veg tan leather. My cases are made to fit the body and neck of my guitars - NOT guitar plus straps.

I fold my straps and store then under or above the headstock.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Put my guitar in a case and left for 8 months.

That has bad written all over it. How was the humidity level controlled for 8months?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Put my guitar in a case and left for 8 months.

That has bad written all over it. How was the humidity level controlled for 8months?
Let's not jump to conclusions!

When we moved a couple years ago, the new living room arrangement was not condusive to the 5 guitar Quik Lok stand I'd been using. My 0000-28H (sad to say) stayed in the case in a closet for much of the first year (not like I don't have other Martins out on individual stands in various rooms).

Controlling humidity never crossed my mind, living in the SF Bay area...

I noticed the OP used the "pounds" sign in his pricing. If I'm not mistaken, I have heard more than a few of our UK friends mention that they don't have to have this anal retentive complex about humidity that some of the folks on the forums seem to exhibit.

So it could perfectly well be the OP didn't need to be as concerned about humidity as about something else... like whatever caused the discoloration.

Still waiting for photos, BTW.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion