The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Tortoise shell.
Quite possibly!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM

While at the Arlington guitar show this year I tried a pick (forget the name but people here know it) that's supposed to be a non-slip pick because it's made of "XYZ" material. My skin is dry so it didn't work at all. They told me to blow on the pick to give it some moisture and then it would stick to my fingers. I tried that and it did, for about 15-20 seconds then nada. That boutique pick may work for some or many other players, but not for me.

My question is this: If expensive boutique picks that cost $35+ work and sound great and are so much better than off the shelf picks almost anyone can afford what famous guitarists known for their tone and expertise, who could more easily afford to, use or used boutique picks? ? ?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:33 AM

For no particular reason other than curiosity and my tendency to tinker with everything, about two years ago I started a quest to find the best (for me) pick. It took a year to complete. The postman must have got very used to delivering very small parcels here. Most picks were pretty good, some were virtually identical, and a couple really stood out. I prefer 3 corner picks, not quite as large as the average music store cheapie, and roughly 1mm thick. The Dunlop Ultex was a long time favourite and I still use it on occasion, same with a Wegen, but after a short honeymoon with a Gravity Striker (I think that was its name) I discovered a Blue Chip TP-40 without bevels.

It's an acquired taste perhaps, but no one who will buy expensive wine, cigars, lottery tickets, overload credit cards, drive a vehicle beyond their needs (etc, I hope you get my point), should lack the understanding needed to grok the purchase of Blue Chip picks. It's an indulgence perhaps, none of us are free from sin I suppose.

I'm still using the same one I started with a year ago. Virtually no wear, and I teach and play guitar for a living, so that's no small amount of use. Equally nice on guitar, tenor banjo, and mandolin.

I will say that this is an acoustic thing for me, there's way less difference between picks on electric guitars to my ears.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

The AGF is an amazing resource.

I've pretty much always been a "pick in the mud" (pun intended) when it comes to plectrums/pics, and have used the classic Fender medium as long as I can remember.

However, largely because I'm still searching for my target tone out of my new Gibson J-45, I've been researching different pics. This thread, as well as another old thread from 2011 ("Best Pick for Strumming - Recommendations Please") convinced me to try the Dunlop Tortex .60. Well, I'm very pleased I did...VERY nice pic, especially for strumming! It yields a wonderful balance between individual note brightness and chordal warmth.

I've also ordered some Dunlop Nylon Gray .80s and Dunlop Ultex 73s that I look forward to trying.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-17-2015, 12:42 PM

It's like asking, "Which beers are the best?"

Try every pick you can get your hands on, and you will find that with time, you'll develop a very specific taste of picks that you like. That's all that matters.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I 2nd the Dunlop Ultex and gravity picks. PERSONALLY speaking I PERSONALLY find the blue chips a pile of hype and expense that just doesn't justify.

I also agree that technique, thickness etc have as much to do with 'sound' from picks as anything else. To ME after trying them, Blue chip are like buying 80$ strings...I PERSONALLY just don't get it!

Dunlop Ultex: .75-1.00 each
Gravity's best: 5.00 - 7.00 each
Blue Chips: 35.00-50.00 EACH

I still have yet to hear of any major performer, local band or any of the top local musicians / guitarists that i've known in the Twin City music scene (over 30 yrs with friends in that scene who are in some of the best local bands) who have ever believed these were worth 35+$....but I guess some on this forum 'believe' they are and can actually 'HEAR' that difference. So if you believe in the 'so it is written, so it shall be' and want to drink the kool-aid, spend away. But if it were me, I'd invest in 5-6 different wegan's, Gravity or other midlevel picks and maybe a handful of the Dunlop ultex's (personally I like the 1 mm for both flat-picking general strumming). all for the price of Blue chips cheapest....with shipping!
Absolutely; couldn't agree more.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I 2nd the Dunlop Ultex and gravity picks. PERSONALLY speaking I PERSONALLY find the blue chips a pile of hype and expense that just doesn't justify.

I also agree that technique, thickness etc have as much to do with 'sound' from picks as anything else. To ME after trying them, Blue chip are like buying 80$ strings...I PERSONALLY just don't get it!

Dunlop Ultex: .75-1.00 each
Gravity's best: 5.00 - 7.00 each
Blue Chips: 35.00-50.00 EACH

I still have yet to hear of any major performer, local band or any of the top local musicians / guitarists that i've known in the Twin City music scene (over 30 yrs with friends in that scene who are in some of the best local bands) who have ever believed these were worth 35+$....but I guess some on this forum 'believe' they are and can actually 'HEAR' that difference. So if you believe in the 'so it is written, so it shall be' and want to drink the kool-aid, spend away. But if it were me, I'd invest in 5-6 different wegan's, Gravity or other midlevel picks and maybe a handful of the Dunlop ultex's (personally I like the 1 mm for both flat-picking general strumming). all for the price of Blue chips cheapest....with shipping!
I pick with a Blue Chip pick (TP-1R 50). My reason has nothing to do with drinking kool-aid or what was written or said by anyone. I don't pick with a Blue Chip because of the sound. My favorite sounding picks are Clayton.
I use Blue Chips because they are the only pick that I've found that doesn't twist or move in my grip when I'm playing. (and I have tried dozens) My point is, if you can find a pick that does everything you want a pick to do for 75 cents then buy it and count your blessings. Unfortunately for me, the pick that does everything I want a pick to do costs 35 dollars. (at least it did two years ago) I,m not bragging about it, nor am I hiding under a rock about it. Don't be "guilted" into not buying a 35 dollar pick because someone else can't justify it.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Guest 429

For me, the long and winding road has taken me to Fender 355 medium large triangle celluloid (shell)

Last edited by Guest 429; 04-01-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Buzz View Post
For me, let it be celluloid...and the long and winding road has taken me back to where I started (and where I'll stay): Fender thin premium 351s.
Yep; I use cheap 'Alice' brand celluloid picks-the equilateral triangle 0.96 ones-or Dunlop Tortex 0.88. If you can't get a good sound out of your guitar without believing you need to resort to those ludicrously expensive 'boutique' efforts and their cute little boxes, you need to practise more on your tone production, frankly. And I'm sorry but the justification of 'why would you skimp on picks and capos for your expensive guitar' etc is complete nonsense.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yep; I use cheap 'Alice' brand celluloid picks-the equilateral triangle 0.96 ones-or Dunlop Tortex 0.88. If you can't get a good sound out of your guitar without believing you need to resort to those ludicrously expensive 'boutique' efforts and their cute little boxes, you need to practise more on your tone production, frankly. And I'm sorry but the justification of 'why would you skimp on picks and capos for your expensive guitar' etc is complete nonsense.
The cheap pick theme and yes the maligned "thin pick" (which for some people includes even a Fender heavy celluloid) has been dear to my heart for quite some time now.

these days for me and finally? Fender 355 medium large triangle celluloid (shell)

Historically and currently its seems a lot of great music and yes money has been made by folks "skimping" on their picks (using cheapos and "thin" picks) and using so-so capos like your basic Schubb.

Last edited by Guest 429; 04-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:53 AM

I've been partial to the 1.5mm Dunlop Primetome lately. Excellent grip and I like the way the highs sound with it a little more than my Wegen Bluegrass which I also like. Got a Bluechip TD-50 but it tends to collect dust in the pickbox

Old 04-18-2015, 05:43 AM

Horn is the best sounding material I have found for picks, warm, fat sounding but still acurate if you file it to keep it sharp, dark horn will sound warmer but clear horn is harder and will give you more definition. I use dark one with steel strings and clear one with nylon, haven't found anything better

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 PM

My preferences in picks have changed radically over the years. I used to favor light or even ultra light picks - the whippier the better.

When it comes to electric playing, I don't much care, but have a bunch of 1 mm ultex that I use most of the time. I have tons of other picks from years past that I will use if handy. Funny thing - when I was a kid - it was all I could do to keep track of my picks from the music store to home. I was constantly looking for one. Now, I have picks that are old enough to go to college.

When it comes to acoustic playing, there are differences, but I don't think any audience member would care at all.

The ultex 1 mm work fine.
I tried the red bear picks and they are nicer. I have also had one break in my pocket, and they can "cup". This can be fixed, but red bear is the only pick I had to "fix".
I have a few TS picks, and they are different and the best IMO. I like the tone, and feel a bit more connected to the instrument when playing them. YMMV.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM

The problem I have with flat picks is keeping my grip on them. I have found the DAVA picks solve this problem. I know they probably aren't everyone's cup tea but once I tried them out I have never used another.
http://www.davapick.com/picks/rock_control
Old 04-18-2015, 11:05 PM

I used to use whatever the guitar store had sitting in a large bowl on the counter. Then I started using medium plastic picks.

A couple years ago I ordered some Graph Tech stuff (TUSQ pins and a couple nuts, along with the saddle piezo saddles and preamp Ghost system), and they sent a TUSQ pick and some pre-play hand conditioner.

The conditioner stuff seemed like it was, maybe a good product for someone who has toxic chemistry and tarnishes guitar strings quickly. But as I've never had that problem and wash my hands before playing didn't order it.

The picks however I decided to give a try. Thought it would be just another nylon medium pick or whatever, but was impressed! Really nice tone and feel on the strings. Seems to slip off them pretty well and gives a nice open mellow tone.

For electrics I use Dunlop Jazz III's, heavy. And I'll occasionally use one for flat picking on the acoustic. Small size makes it easier to get around on the strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion