The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
I got a deal a while back on some koa/abalone TRCs - - we all have our little "issues". The original TRCs are in the guitars' cases for the next guy.

Those are nice and I have Goodall KGC. Where can you get some of those?
What kind of nut material is that in one of first pics?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Default sapele

This is a custom plain I had made in Sapele to match the body. I added black screws and black nail polish to the sides to match the 110's glossy black binding.

highly figured sapele

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Below is the trc I had Capt. Bill Nichols craft for me for my '02 Taylor 814ce back around '03. I had the design concept in mind for an 'Excaliber' sword and vine, and discussed with Bill, and this was the result. It is on EI rosewood, with abalone, brass and pieces of koa. Note that the top screw is brass to serve as the knob on top of the handle, and I use a black screw on the bottom so the tip of the blade stands-out and the screw barely shows. I'm sure that this design adorns many guitars since, but I'm proud that I participated in the design and own the first.

At the same time, Bill did this custom IE rosewood heel cap bearing my initials.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Acousticado;3501318]Below is the trc I had Capt. Bill Nichols craft for me for my '02 Taylor 814ce back around '03. I had the design concept in mind for an 'Excaliber' sword and vine, and discussed with Bill, and this was the result. It is on EI rosewood, with abalone, brass and pieces of koa. Note that the top screw is brass to serve as the knob on top of the handle, and I use a black screw on the bottom so the tip of the blade stands-out and the screw barely shows. I'm sure that this design adorns many guitars since, but I'm proud that I participated in the design and own the first.

That is RIDICULOUSLY gorgeous and now I want one.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

To throbert: The koa/abalone truss rod covers on my Goodalls were made by Bill Nichols ( www.nicholsinlay.com ). The nut in the first picture (of a Jumbo Royal Hawaiian Cutaway model) is made of fossilized walrus ivory, and the guitar also has a saddle and bridge pins made of the same material.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM

I have this Celtic cross inlay on the truss rod cover of my Gibson Advanced Jumbo:

I grew up in the Episcopal church in what was then a very Scots-Irish parish, and am Scots-Irish on my father's side. So that's a motif I'm very familiar with: many of us (including me) wore silver Celtic crosses around our necks, and they're carved in stone there at that church building.

My parish church here in Anchorage, Alaska is very sleek and modernistic compared to the stone church I grew up in, and the congregation is not nearly as ethnically monolithic, but that symbol still resonates with me. Plus I think it fits in nicely with the stock inlays on the AJ, and since I do use that guitar to lead worship music, to my mind it's a nice fit.

On another Gibson guitar I used to own, I had the South Carolina moon and palmetto tree motif inlaid into the truss rod cover:

Something that has surprised me in the past couple of years is how popular that particular motif has become, even with people who have no discernible ties to South Carolina. Even here in the Anchorage area I see it a lot in those giant white decals some people use to decorate the back windows of their cars and pickup trucks.

But it's most definitely a South Carolina motif, which should be obvious when you look at the South Carolina state flag:

That's why I like it and own a truss rod cover inlaid with it, because my South Carolina roots run deep. I haven't lived there in decades, but the Low Country is where my mother's people have lived for centuries, and where most of them still live.

By the way, I admire Bill Nichols' work and have some other things he's made, but both of the inlaid truss rod covers I showed here came from Custominlay.com:

http://shop.custominlay.com/Inlaid-T...ss-VVT-208.htm

Anyway, it's kind of fun to be able to dress up your guitar a little bit, even if virtually nobody else ever notices these fancy truss rod covers. The one and only person to ever notice and comment about the Celtic cross inlaid truss rod cover was my friend and fellow multi-instrumentalist at church who mostly plays bass, but sometimes switches off and plays my guitar while I play something else.

A few weeks ago he finally noticed it, but that was after it had been on the guitar for more than two years!

Which is fine: I take that as a sign that it blends in nicely!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Anticipation Junkie

[QUOTE=fazool;3501628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Below is the trc I had Capt. Bill Nichols craft for me for my '02 Taylor 814ce back around '03. I had the design concept in mind for an 'Excaliber' sword and vine, and discussed with Bill, and this was the result. It is on EI rosewood, with abalone, brass and pieces of koa. Note that the top screw is brass to serve as the knob on top of the handle, and I use a black screw on the bottom so the tip of the blade stands-out and the screw barely shows. I'm sure that this design adorns many guitars since, but I'm proud that I participated in the design and own the first.

That is RIDICULOUSLY gorgeous and now I want one.
Of course, I agree. Go for it! It's a beautiful, classy piece.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 AM

ERm.... I don't have any, but I made a bunch of dies for someone who makes them out of metal. I make dies for tons of artists and jewelers , so I can't keep track of everybody. It was a couple years ago, so I don't remember the guy's name , which would come in handy right about now .
Nice dude, gave me a custom metal guitar pick/necklace and a chihuahua keychain thingy
Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

New TRC from Bill Nichols on my 326ce-K.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post

Come to think of it, neither do my Gurians or Bourgeois. I never thought of it before. Maybe I don't like truss rod covers???
My Alvarez doesn't either. I had Bill Nichols make me one and put two sided tape on it so I could have this:

Old 04-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Just got this from Bill Nichols and am super impressed and happy with it.

(I also replaced the grey tuner screws with gold and that made a difference too)

Old 04-19-2015, 03:20 PM

Old 04-19-2015, 03:47 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Abalone turtle on my GS5-12.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 PM

Inlayed by Bill Nichols for The Dead's 50th Anniversary. I see that You know Bill too SprucedUp! Also, the guy at Gibson picked out beautiful matching Green Gold MOP for my Headstock Pearl! I love that guy, whoever he is. Thank You Friend at Gibson!

Last edited by ajay; 04-27-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 PM

My Bill Nichols TRC; "Island Vine" tribute on my 2014 Taylor GSM FLTD Koa.

Lisa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion