The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default NGD: Bourgeois D-150

I didn't plan on making another purchase this early after buying my last Collings but this came up at such a good price I couldn't refuse. The original owner bought it in 2006 and it pretty much sat in his closet until recently. When I went to check it out being the Adirondack/Brazilian combo I was a bit underwhelmed by the tone/projection, but after hearing his story I understood why the Adirondack sounded so stiff, not to mention the 5+ years old Elixir Polywebs that were on it. I gave it a chance and I'm sure it will open up nicely with time. So after the 5-hour round trip it came home with me. I hear Dana is known for voicing Adirondack tops quite nicely. Fresh set of strings helped things along, cleared up the tone a bit. Being my first Brazilian guitar I really didn't know what to expect, the tone is definitely bold/bass response is very nice. I do have a couple of questions, the guitar came with an under saddle pickup, does this affect tone in anyone's experiences? I normal use a K&K mini therefore I don't know if an under saddle system compromises tone acoustically. Also I do remember reading about all the different cuts of Brazilian available, but looking at mine I'm not really sure what you would classify this as quartersawn, stump?? Here are some pictures, enjoy

BTW I've recently discovered the magic of Virtuoso cleaner/polish, no more finger prints!!!!!

Last edited by Vee_Voe; 04-27-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 PM

I still have never had the opportunity to play a BRW guitar. Enjoy it!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:19 PM

That looks spectacular! Enjoy!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 AM

Vee Voe: nice guitar!

With respect to under-saddle pickups, I can't imagine how one could ever not impact a guitar's tone, and in a negative way.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 05-02-2015, 03:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

I guess I'll be swapping out for a Pure Mini or Lyric pickup
Old 05-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

My gosh that's beautiful! Would love to own one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion