The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 AM

Default Opinions on the new Taylor 656

I have really wanted a good sounding 12 string and several friends have recommended a Taylor 12 string. I also really dig the new 600 series by Taylor. Anyone tried one or have opinions on it ?
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM

I just stopped off at Sam Ash today to buy a guitar strap and stand. Of course I had to go into the acoustic room and play something. I picked up a Taylor 656 CE 12 string tuned it up by ear and played a couple of tunes. Sweet lovely sound. Very easy to play in fact easier than my Ovation 12 string. It was a manager's special so it had a price tag of $2599 but they're usually negotiable. I don't know if that's a good price or not but it was a pretty looking guitar and it sounded so nice I ended up staying there playing it for much longer than I intended.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I've been wanting to try one, but haven't seen one yet in the wild. If I did and at the price mentioned above, I might have been in trouble.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:26 PM

That is a dang good price. Thanks for the info. I have always heard Taylor makes really good 12 strings. I dont expect it to have a EIR sound but I do want something full.
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM

I know this subject VERY well. I am going to share the good and bad.

You will need to play these guitars to make a decision. If you are looking at the Taylor and want the balanced tone and playability, you're only real choice is the B&S wood. The Ovangkol, EIR, and Maple all sound great.

I prefer the EIR 856. The 456 and 656 are both close seconds. Each will be over $2,000 to more than $3,000. Not cheap.

If you want a great solid EIR 12 string, with Engelmann spruce top, excellent neck profile, and a basic pickup, order a Yamaha LL1612 ARE for less than $900. For me, there is no better value than the Yamaha.

If you want vintage 12 string tone, you need a Guild, which go for well over $2,000 also.

The Taylor represents the most playable jumbo 12 string on the Market with the most advanced electronics. I was VERY content with my Yamaha LL16-12, until I played the Taylor. At the time, I had put a K&K PM in the Yamaha, and it did not have the ARE treatment. The Yamaha sounded great, but the Taylor was an improvement. Was it a 3x cost improvement? No. If I got a do over in life, I would buy the new ARE Yamaha 12 and put the difference into the kids college fund.

When I started playing 12 string, it became my main instrument. I played it everywhere. But, a year later, I play it maybe 30% of the time. $3,000 is a LOT of money to have tied up in a guitar you play that infrequently. Now, that I have it, I will keep it and enjoy the investment. But, that's why I would get a Yamaha LL16-12, Taylor 150e, or a Taylor 456ce, if I could do it over again. If money is no object, you will find few 12 strings that rival the high end Taylors.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM

I can't find one in any music store yet. I can't even find a video online yet. Dying to hear this guitar. If anyone knows of a video or can record a video of this axe, I would love to see it.

Nick
Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I know this subject VERY well. I am going to share the good and bad.

You will need to play these guitars to make a decision. If you are looking at the Taylor and want the balanced tone and playability, you're only real choice is the B&S wood. The Ovangkol, EIR, and Maple all sound great.

I prefer the EIR 856. The 456 and 656 are both close seconds. Each will be over $2,000 to more than $3,000. Not cheap.

If you want a great solid EIR 12 string, with Engelmann spruce top, excellent neck profile, and a basic pickup, order a Yamaha LL1612 ARE for less than $900. For me, there is no better value than the Yamaha.

If you want vintage 12 string tone, you need a Guild, which go for well over $2,000 also.

The Taylor represents the most playable jumbo 12 string on the Market with the most advanced electronics. I was VERY content with my Yamaha LL16-12, until I played the Taylor. At the time, I had put a K&K PM in the Yamaha, and it did not have the ARE treatment. The Yamaha sounded great, but the Taylor was an improvement. Was it a 3x cost improvement? No. If I got a do over in life, I would buy the new ARE Yamaha 12 and put the difference into the kids college fund.

When I started playing 12 string, it became my main instrument. I played it everywhere. But, a year later, I play it maybe 30% of the time. $3,000 is a LOT of money to have tied up in a guitar you play that infrequently. Now, that I have it, I will keep it and enjoy the investment. But, that's why I would get a Yamaha LL16-12, Taylor 150e, or a Taylor 456ce, if I could do it over again. If money is no object, you will find few 12 strings that rival the high end Taylors.
Good stuff. That is REALLY helpful. I have wondered about dropping down due to what you mentioned. I love ovangkol. BUT I just really love the look of the new 600s. I did try a 150e and it sounded too thin but I have not tried any of the Yamahas. That is an interesting idea. No one sells Guild around here.. but I love the Guild I use to own.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
Good stuff. That is REALLY helpful. I have wondered about dropping down due to what you mentioned. I love ovangkol. BUT I just really love the look of the new 600s. I did try a 150e and it sounded too thin but I have not tried any of the Yamahas. That is an interesting idea. No one sells Guild around here.. but I love the Guild I use to own.
You're welcome. Think a lot about this purchase. You can't go wrong with the 456, 656, or 856. But, you need to be able to justify the amount of playing time it gets against the cash outlay. Most of the 12's I have played sound too thin. That's why the EIR Yamaha and EIR Guilds are good options. I think what Taylor has done with Maple is pretty cool and makes the guitar more complex and similar to rosewood, frankly. The Ovangkol option can't be overlooked. If you like Maple and rosewood, Ovangkol gets very close. They are in the middle/high price point. Now, they come with gloss finish and ES2. That would have made a fine option for me too.

But, for under $900, that Yamaha, if you happen to like it, is unbeatable.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
but I do want something full.
I went down this exact path searching for a full sounding 12-string about 3-4 years ago.I spent time and money chasing that sound.
I found the answer in a full size jumbo (17" lower bout) Rosewood back and sides. Huge warm lush sound. 12-fret small body guitar owners shake their heads in horror but these things are monsters and once you find one, all other 12-string guitars sound weak and thin and overly bright, sometimes even shrill.
I own a Morris B-50 Brazilian Rosewood dread 12-string - too bright.
A 1999 Taylor 355 - full size jumbo,Sapele back & sides, great neck, better tone, heading in the right direction but still too bright.
A 2001 Guild F-412 - full size jumbo, Maple back & sides- beautiful balanced tone superb guitar.
A 2009 Martin Grand J12-40E Special - full size jumbo, Rosewood back & sides, huge sound, unbelieveable bottom end even with light strings. Very expensive, only 231 ever built.
I suggest you try for a new Guild F-512, they must be due from Oxnard very soon. Maybe try to contact them?
Used - a Taylor 855 or again Guild F-512 or if you can find one, Martin Grand J12-40E Special.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
My current Blueridge has limited time. Ordered that Yamaha and should be in by June. Thought they discontinued them but was wrong. Probably good I can't hear/play a 656, my printing press is broken
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Ovangkol Taylor 12s are very nice. I love mine and when it comes out at a jam, it's hard to get back.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I have really wanted a good sounding 12 string and several friends have recommended a Taylor 12 string. I also really dig the new 600 series by Taylor. Anyone tried one or have opinions on it ?
Yeah, I've got an opinion on the 656ce, and it's actually an informed one!

So, here's my review of mine: NGD Taylor 656ce-First Edition 12 Stringer (the maple kind)

Notice my comments on "sweet" sounding and then re-read the first reply post above. See a trend? Ever heard anyone describe a 12 string that way? Not saying it's never happened before, but my point is.... how often?

Taylor says it’s just got a little more power, a little more torque on the low end. It’s a girthier, thicker 12-string sound, and with the maple, its response is so consistent you hear all the octave courses; everything is completely "hi-fi". You hear all those super high octaves on the G course; everything’s there....

Playability, looks, tone, it has it all... I won't ever look further...

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsan View Post
Yeah, I've got an opinion on the 656ce, and it's actually an informed one!

So, here's my review of mine: NGD Taylor 656ce-First Edition 12 Stringer (the maple kind)

Notice my comments on "sweet" sounding and then re-read the first reply post above. See a trend? Ever heard anyone describe a 12 string that way? Not saying it's never happened before, but my point is.... how often?

Taylor says it’s just got a little more power, a little more torque on the low end. It’s a girthier, thicker 12-string sound, and with the maple, its response is so consistent you hear all the octave courses; everything is completely "hi-fi". You hear all those super high octaves on the G course; everything’s there....

Playability, looks, tone, it has it all... I won't ever look further...
Niiiiiiice!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion