The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 03:41 PM

Default 2 guitars 2 nut widths

Both my guitars have different nut widths. A 1 11/16 and a 1 3/4. Although I can easily notice a difference when playing I feel very comfortable with both. I am enjoying switching between the 2 (1 day playing the 45 the next playing the custom)

I find this is a big plus too because if anyone ever hands me their guitar to play I will be used to both widths.

I was curious to see if there were other forum members who also had acoustics with different but widths and didn't mind switching between the two. I have a friends who will not own a guitar unless the nut width is 1 3/4 and I think that's just crazy but they just don't feel comfortable on 1 11/16 necks.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Nut width and neck profile are two things I've chosen to ignore. I have fairly large hands and I move from mandolin to different 6 string widths to a 12 string. Obviously, I'm not always playing in open position and string spacing widens as you move up the neck too. There is a moment needed to "shift gears" but it's not something I notice much.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM

I'm the same way. I can switch back and forth without a learning curve. I know some guys that don't do it, they swear by one neck width. Neck width and string spacing are never a huge deal to me. As above just a moment to "shift gears" is needed.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM

I started out on 1-11/16" necks and dreadnoughts and was quite happy for years. I could switch back and forth just fine.

Then around age 45 I started to get some arthritis in my left hand. Suddenly only a 1-3/4" neck would work comfortably for me. This also was around the time that I started taking Taylor guitars more seriously, so the overall neck shape could have factored in too. All I know is that I could pick up one of my Martins and after 15-20 minutes my left hand would ache for the rest of the day. But if I picked up one of my Taylor's first I could play for hours without any pain. I didn't do anything but take notice for a couple of years, hoping this was just a coincidence, but eventually parted with all but one Martin. Now I will only consider a 1-3/4" neck - or a bit wider.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
Both my guitars have different nut widths. A 1 11/16 and a 1 3/4. Although I can easily notice a difference when playing I feel very comfortable with both. I am enjoying switching between the 2 (1 day playing the 45 the next playing the custom)

I find this is a big plus too because if anyone ever hands me their guitar to play I will be used to both widths.

I was curious to see if there were other forum members who also had acoustics with different but widths and didn't mind switching between the two. I have a friends who will not own a guitar unless the nut width is 1 3/4 and I think that's just crazy but they just don't feel comfortable on 1 11/16 necks.
Hi Rockguy…

All my acoustics have a 1¾" nut, and all my electrics have a 1¹¹/₁₆" nut.

I don't play solo fingerstyle on the electrics, or backing rhythm on the acoustic, so there is not a conflict. When I play fingerstyle on guitars with a 1¹¹/₁₆" (or smaller) nut I find myself wrestling with the instrument and focusing on the fingerings instead of just playing music.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I have 1 3/4" and 1.725" nut guitars and play them without issue. More important than the nut is the neck profile...it needs to be substantial enough top to bottom (medium/fat C or soft mod-v are ideal) to fill my hand so I don't have to over squeeze to fret easily.

But...1 11/16 nut with 2 1/8 string spacing on a Low Profile neck is a permanent no fly zone.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Another in the "what works for you" column. Some players seem very sensitive to nut width. Others like me, not so much. I have or had 1 3/4", 1 11/16". Different profiles, V shape, rounded C, various thicknesses, etc. and all seem to work ok. When gigging I bounce back and forth between a 6 string, a 12 string and a uke. I also seem to muddle thru that just fine.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM

my acoustics come in 3 varieties, 11/16th, 3/4th and 13/16th. The narrower necks all have slim profiles, but the widest is even slimmer then all, the 3/4th necks are all quite chunky.
The narrowest are my earliest guitars which I've played most of my life and although I never measured it before now I assume my electrics are also 11/16th.
These have always felt most comfortable to me, even when fingerpicking, but after a short ajustment when switching the other necks don't feel less comfortable, even though I feel I must work harder.
Occasionally the fingersetting isn't precise, mainly when I'm not concentrating I fall back into automated narrow play, after all I played that for over 45 years. The wider necks only the past 3 years, so I'll just keep practising with all of em, it can only benefit dexterity.

Ludwig
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM

I notice more of an adjustment being made when string spacing is changed at the saddle.

In the right hand of course
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 PM

I have acoustic guitars with 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nuts. No difficulty switching between them.

FWIW, my 2011 Collings D2HA is 1 3/4" and my 2014 Collings D2HA is 1 11/16". No problem going between them!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

A 1/16" nut width variance is probably the least of it when it comes the feel of two different guitar necks. There are other more profound variables.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 AM

I have both a 1 3/4 with 2 1/8 (OM) and 1 11/16 with 2 1/16 (LX1E)

The former is easier for finger style, the latter I find a little more strum friendly. But I can do both on both, I just need 5 minutes to adjust.

The OM is certainly my favourite but both have there place.

Jumping from 2 1/16 to 2 1/4 string spacing might be tougher?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 AM

I switch back and forth between a 1-11/16" Martin neck and 1-23/32" Gibson necks of different profiles. Also just built a parts Tele with a 1.65" nut. I have smaller hands so I really only have trouble with really deep profile necks or really flat necks with 1-3/4" nuts.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Why is it crazy what works for somebody else? Saying you are crazy for using different nut widths carries the same useless worth !!

I've been playing for 50 years, I have arthritis, nut width counts "for me", 1-11/16" is too narrow, all my Martins are 1-3/4".....guess I'm crazy....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I don't have an issue going between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4. But I have a time going from 1 11/16 and 1 11/16 when the string spacing is different. Throws me off until I adjust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion