The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up

The Music Emporium in Lexington MA has the same policy as Carters. If you see something you like go ahead and play it. And like Carters (I'm guessing, I've heard of them, never been), the instruments are all high end.

They had 2 expensive mandolins stolen a couple of years ago and I was afraid things might change there, but so far they're still same. They know what they're doing.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 AM

I can appreciate them being careful of their stock.

There was a guy that used to frequent the local store down the road that I taught at.

We always thought it a bit strange,, he'd grab a guitar off the racks, and stand in front of a mirror with it, never playing a note, and put it back, grab another and go gaze at himself holding the guitar, put it back and after a few rounds, just leave with out a word.

One day.. he was in the store, doing his "thing" when he went to put a guitar back on the top rack, (and ESP shred sled) dropped it, it hit the guitars on the rack below, and knocked them off their holders, at the end of the carnage, there were four brand new guitars in a pile on the floor... he just quietly, and quickly left the store never to return..

We all just kind of looked at each other with our chins on the floor. Mark (The owner) didn't know whether to crap in his pants or go blind. Amazingly, none of the damage was too bad, but there was a few repairs needed to fix some of the cosmetics...

This is why stores should all put "please ask to play" signs on the guitars....
Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 AM

The small independent music store I do a lot of business with has signs posted conspicuously stating "Please ask for assistance to play a guitar"
Did this store have signs like that anywhere?
I have been going in my place for about ten years and I don't have to ask.
They all know me and know I will be very careful with the guitars.
If the OP decided to leave because of what happened that's his perogative.
I think sometimes just because we don't care for a policy, we take it too personally. I know I do at times. Sometimes, it's the way the policy is presented as seems to be the case here.
I also know that some folks should probably not be in certain businesses.
There is a Sam Ash near where I work where you have to ask for help to play a guitar and then the salesperson "hovers annoyingly" nearby. I won't go there anymore.
I have a lot of sympathy for the small independent, but as I said, maybe those particular folks should rethink their approach when a potential customer comes in the door.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Most small stores own or finance their inventory. The instruments are not generally "demos" that folks test drive and then order a new one if they like it. If an instrument is damaged and has to be sold at a discount, it comes out of the store owner's pocket.
Sure they own or finance their inventory and when a piece gets damaged, it comes out of the owners pocket. (or his insurance company's pocket)

That's the way it goes. It's called business. Risk & reward.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 AM

I've had the same experience as that in car dealerships and music stores. And I had the exact same reaction: What are they in business for?

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-12-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
So I decided to check out a Music store within reach of me at 35 miles away to see what they had to offer. I had already called ahead and asked about inventory and she stated they had about 40 guitars in stock. I was looking for a bass at the time and they are a Peavey and a Samick/Greg Bennet dealer.

This is an old family business and good sized shop. As I entered I noticed half of the store was maybe church related supplies like robes and literature and the other half was music. About 10 pianos in stock, some wind instruments and all the guitars on the wall in one spot with a decent selection of amps and PA equipment.

I had time to browse and had picked out a small bass practice amp that I needed and did not have a price on it. I was willing to pay a little more there within range to support the locals and begin a relationship with store...possibly.

So I made my way to a nice Samick cutaway about $299 and began to tune it with the tuner and pick I brought with me. The owner I think came over and she asked me If I needed any help. I told her I was interested in the small amp in the next room if she could tell me the price.

She said okay I'll check on that amp for you. Then....
"Now we don't mind anyone playing the guitars as long as they are interested in buying"....just as I strummed the freshly tuned G chord...."and I say that lightly" she said.
"So you don't want me playing the guitar ?" I asked.
"Well it makes them hard to sell with scratches on them. Let me check on that amp for you" as she walked away.
I proceeded to hang the guitar back on the wall and replied, " I tell you what, just forget it" and I exited the store thinking they just don't need my business.

I sure hated that too as I had high hopes for finding this nice store. The lady was very nice and I can understand her reasoning, but still disappointed. I felt bad afterwards.

What would you have done?
I've had a similar recent experience. I politely walked out. I understand their concerns. Small businesses would love to have the foot traffic that leads to impulse purchases, or additional sales. But, they also don't want their stock to be handled, which is what drives foot traffic. I worked at a small music store. We did this by keeping the lower cost merchandize in reach for people who just wanted to waste time. We kept the higher price merchandise behind the counter. The problem with this is that some people will never ask to see what's behind the counter. And, if they don't experience the difference price makes, they won't buy anything.

It's a delicate balance, but she obviously went a little too far.

A sales person could always say "you're welcome to test drive the instruments, but we ask you to be especially careful to remove jackets, zippers or buckles that might scratch the guitars. We're too small to afford demo instruments."
Old 01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

To the OP:

She was nice. You were not.

Her "I say that lightly" was her saying "I'm not going to demand you don't play that, but be careful please."

If I were you, I'd go back and apologize and check out that amp.

My $0.02.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM

I never got the entitled to finger everything in the store, because maybe someday I'll buy something thinking.
I would suspect that those struggling to make it in bricks and mortar music retail have thought and rethought their policies much more than any potential customer. Policies will vary. They will not please everyone, and that's ok.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
As I entered I noticed half of the store was maybe church related supplies like robes and literature
That would have been my first clue to get out of there.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So I decided to check out a Music store within reach of me at 35 miles away to see what they had to offer. I had already called ahead and asked about inventory and she stated they had about 40 guitars in stock. I was looking for a bass at the time and they are a Peavey and a Samick/Greg Bennet dealer.

This is an old family business and good sized shop. As I entered I noticed half of the store was maybe church related supplies like robes and literature and the other half was music. About 10 pianos in stock, some wind instruments and all the guitars on the wall in one spot with a decent selection of amps and PA equipment.

I had time to browse and had picked out a small bass practice amp that I needed and did not have a price on it. I was willing to pay a little more there within range to support the locals and begin a relationship with store...possibly.

So I made my way to a nice Samick cutaway about $299 and began to tune it with the tuner and pick I brought with me. The owner I think came over and she asked me If I needed any help. I told her I was interested in the small amp in the next room if she could tell me the price.

She said okay I'll check on that amp for you. Then....
"Now we don't mind anyone playing the guitars as long as they are interested in buying"....just as I strummed the freshly tuned G chord...."and I say that lightly" she said.
"So you don't want me playing the guitar ?" I asked.
"Well it makes them hard to sell with scratches on them. Let me check on that amp for you" as she walked away.
I proceeded to hang the guitar back on the wall and replied, " I tell you what, just forget it" and I exited the store thinking they just don't need my business.

I sure hated that too as I had high hopes for finding this nice store. The lady was very nice and I can understand her reasoning, but still disappointed. I felt bad afterwards.

What would you have done?
I looked through this a couple of times and I just can't find the part where she tells the OP to stop playing. Or says or does anything offensive actually.

Could somebody please help me & point that part out?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=polarred21;518940
What would you have done?[/QUOTE]

After a re-read of the OP:
I probably would have had the same attitude you did, but I also probably wouldn't have left just because of that. At the end of it all, she wasn't snippy with you from what I read. Maybe you were having a bad day?
What jumps out is these folks probably aren't in tune with the usual things that are pretty much day-to-day occurances in the music store biz as it pertains to guitars and such. They probably have had some guitars get damaged in the past.
As for folks who write that off as "part of the business", kinda' reflects the attitudes in a lot of our culture today...sadly.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-12-2017, 12:38 PM

I wanted to try out some of the high end guitars at a music shop in Lynchburg. I asked permission, was very polite, expressed that I was a recording musician, etc. A guy came in, pulled up a chair and just sat there and stared at me as I played. It was awkward and sort of weird, making it almost impossible for me to concentrate. I just had to give it up and left with a rather bad taste, not really wanting to go back there. I was really in the market and willing to spend some money.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 01-12-2017, 12:58 PM

All of the local music stores near me just tell me to pick up and play whatever I like. They all know me on a 1st name basis though. I went to Gruhns in Nashville once ( where they obviously don't know me) and I asked the counter guy what I could try out and he just asked that I seek assistance with anything higher up the wall probably because it was difficult to reach. So on op's topic I wouldn't have walked out necessarily because the shop has its own bottom line it has to protect. Also the notion of having to " try before you buy" makes perfect sense to me , except for all the internet sale of instruments. Hth, good luck

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Hard to know what I would have done, depending on my frame of mind at the time. But after reading this thread I suppose the best thing to do is ask first, but in that situation it might have been best to just say "I totally understand"

When I go in and test drive a guitar I always find something to buy so I'm not totally wasting their time. Even if it's a pack of strings I don't need today.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Typical bass player. . . Try taking your bloody jacket off next time !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic